Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Should the bomb explode or Not

As the ending was left wide open, at least for now, I was just wondering what people think should happen, should the bomb destonate and destroy Washington or should the scientist and Senator successfully disarm the bomb.

I personally think the first option would create a much more interesting Earth and much more interest stories down the road. And the second option is a bit more boring.

Default Re: Should the bomb explode or Not

Quote Originally Posted by knowles2 View Post
    I personally think the first option would create a much more interesting Earth and much more interest stories down the road.
    Down what road? [/partypooper]

I'm thinking it's going to be the second option. With HWC destroyed, no working stones, the crew on Destiny - how could a story about it be told?

Nah, it shouldn't. SGU is Destiny's story, not Earth's. Dealing with Earth's response to intragalactic terrorism is a little outside its purview.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Lieutenant Colonel

Something tells me that blowing up Washington is not in play.

I think the open ending is quite nice though. It leaves you wondering a bit wether the writers would be so bold as to actually blow washington up or not and we won't know untill the next episode.

While I doubt they will, it certainly makes it a bit more tense for me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Destiny View Post
    I think the open ending is quite nice though.
    I also liked it. There was no clear answer, and without the stones, the crew really has no idea what's going on back home. That should add some concern and tensions.

It would be an interesting development if the bomb were to explode, but I guess the ramifications would be too great.

Spoiler:
    And since the stones are used in "Hope" and "Seizure", I think it's a good bet it didn't explode.

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Captain

Was it said that bomb could destroy all of Washington or no ?

I am pretty sure those werent the only Stones they had, so it is still possible to blow Washington off the map and still have a working connection later.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
    There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

They might still have those 2 stones left they used in "citizen Joe" ( that's what the episode was called, right? ) in SG-1

Quote Originally Posted by JackO'Neill View Post
    Was it said that bomb could destroy all of Washington or no ?
    Well.. a Naquadah bomb will destroy an area for miles around and naquadriah is even more unstable. It'd probably blow a small chunk out of the planet. I believe they said the force was several megatons.

It's about time someone made a dent in Earth's impenetrable safe buble. It would bother me a little that from all the villains that existed in the stargate universe(no pun intended) this would be achieved by those space pirates but hey, it would still be awesome. This show is about relistism(suposedly) and the truth is Earth should have been wiped out by Apophys at the end of season one. It's about damn time Earth's luck should run out. I'm all iin for KABOOM
    "Gegen diesen Idioten muss ich verlieren!" (A. Nimzowitsch)
    http://www.signaturebar.com/uploads/images/71015.jpg

I never assumed that the bomb went off, but it was good to see that the Destiny crew didn't know one way or the other. A bit more tension for them.

I kind of like the ambiguatory that came with the Lucian Alliance attack. Something different
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

I believe they said it was a 70 mega ton bomb, the biggest one ever set off on earth is below 50 megatons I believe.

Hourisima was about 500 kilo ton.

So the bomb would have left a rather big crater, I am pretty sure only the people with access to jets would have got out of the blast range quick enough. .

I am also pretty sure the stones in Washington are not the only ones on Earth. They just the only ones being using and turned on.

Why I agree the writers probably do not have the balls to destroy Washington it would be been great if they did and it would certainly make the Lucian alliance a far bigger threat than the Go 'ould were ever. An I also feel that earth needs to be taken down a notch or two.

First Lieutenant J-Whitt Remastered's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Destiny View Post
    They might still have those 2 stones left they used in "citizen Joe" ( that's what the episode was called, right? ) in SG-1

Well.. a Naquadah bomb will destroy an area for miles around and naquadriah is even more unstable. It'd probably blow a small chunk out of the planet. I believe they said the force was several megatons.
    I'm pretty sure those were destroyed when Daniel and Vala were using them to communicate with the Ori galaxy. Of course they could have found more between Citizen Joe and the beginning of season 9.
    "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
    - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Honestly i dont realy care....if it was SG-1 dealing with the problem then yeah.

I'm sure they could get their hands on more stones. The ones found in Janus' lab in "Identity" for example should still be there, if I remember correctly. But the destruction of Washington D.C. and the surrounding area (70 megatons is a pretty big bang) would throw the United States into chaos, although they would of course be able to recover.

But I like the fact that we didn't learn the outcome at the end of the episode.

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

I think the ending of this episode was like the one from Time. The audience already knows what will happen so there's no point in doing the obvious.

As for the bomb, it's unlikely it would of exploded. The largest nuclear bomb detonated, the Tsar bomb, had a fireball of 8 km diameter peak, it was visible from 1000 km away, the mushroom cloud reached 64 km height (however it would of been bigger if it detonated on the ground), all buildings from 55 km away were leveled, the heat was felt up to 270 km away and windows were broken at 900 kilometers from ground zero.
    The LA bomb was estimated at 70 megatones.
    If we count the EMP and the nuclear fallout, then half the East Coast would of been affected.
    It's all about startegy. Out-maneuvering the opposition, bending him to your will.
    -Dexter-

Try playing with this, guys. 50mt (the closest option available) is a big freaking bomb, but I don't think it'll blank out the eastern seaboard. Fallout, however...
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Yes the explosion will not be thousands of miles big nor it will melt the East coast, but the EMP will fry the whole electric network and given how big the metropolitan area is, the effects will be devastating:
    http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/4...usa_nightm.jpe
    The EMP effects from this picture are from high altitude detonation, but you can determine that a ground detonation will be devastating (think the 2003 blackout):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:EMP_areas.JPG[/url]
    The Tsar bomb was detonated in pretty much the middle of nowhere, so it's EMP affected...nobody.
    Last edited by SGSargon; March 22nd, 2011 at 02:10 PM.
    It's all about startegy. Out-maneuvering the opposition, bending him to your will.
    -Dexter-

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast