As a newcomer I have a question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a newcomer I have a question.

I looked at the thread titles and didn't see anything that looked like it dealt with this. What is the big deal about the fact that Talyn has weapons? The Peacekeepers already have ships with weapons so what is so important about a Leviathan with weapons? It doesn't seem to make much sense to me. I'm currently starting Season 2 so if it's explained later I haven't gotten there yet. I don't mind spoilers seeing as how I know how the show ended when it was cancelled and before the Peacekeeper Wars was made.
    "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
    - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

It was never clear to me why Leviathans were a big deal to the peacekeepers in the first place. But assuming they are a big deal, creating a leviathan, that can grow just as big if not bigger than normal leviathans, that is highly weaponized and responds directly to the captain is certainly nice. The captain only has to think his command and it is immediately implemented.
    Babylon 5 - Farscape - Lost - Deadwood - Rome - Carnivale - Dexter - Sopranos - The Wire

Comment

Exactly it's pretty much about the response time. That and Talyn had another trait that as he grew in size, his weapon became more powerful. (That would sound wrong out of context. ) But essentially it was just down to the fact that Talyn was a rather dangerous Peacekeeper experiment that got away, so best hunt him down with extreme prejudice.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I would think that having a ship that can think for itself would be a bad thing considering the Peacekeepers are supposed to be corrupt and evil. Who would want a ship that thinks for itself being in control of powerful weapons when you don't have anyone's best interests at heart and it's mother was a slave before the ship was born?

Comment

Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered View Post
          I would think that having a ship that can think for itself would be a bad thing considering the Peacekeepers are supposed to be corrupt and evil. Who would want a ship that thinks for itself being in control of powerful weapons when you don't have anyone's best interests at heart and it's mother was a slave before the ship was born?
          Well I'd imagine their original intent was to train an educate Talyn properly. My guess is a young Leviathan can be indoctrinated just as easily as any other being.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I always thought it had to do with the fact that as a Levathian, Talyn could utilize starburst. So, a gunship with starburst capability? Pretty sweet IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmacky View Post
              I always thought it had to do with the fact that as a Levathian, Talyn could utilize starburst. So, a gunship with starburst capability? Pretty sweet IMO.
              Can the Peacekeeper ships not utilize starburst? If not how do they travel the huge distances between stars?

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                Well I'd imagine their original intent was to train an educate Talyn properly. My guess is a young Leviathan can be indoctrinated just as easily as any other being.
                Of course he could be indoctrinated, but even beings who have been indoctrinated can look around and see what's going on in the universe and decide they don't like what their masters are doing.

Comment

Can the Peacekeeper ships not utilize starburst? If not how do they travel the huge distances between stars?
                  I thought starburst was unique to Leviathans. A normal ship would just use the hetch drive, or whatever its called.

Comment

The ability to Starburst is unique to Leviathans.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

There was a control collar on Moya in the 1st episode. I think the Peacekeepers were expecting to be able to control what ever was born from Moya. I also think there were expecting something alot more docile like Moya. It was an experiment and I don't think it turned out the way they expected. They were looking for a small highly powerful, very manueverable ship that only needed a few people as crew. Instead what was created was a dangerous ship with the mind of a child that no one could control.
                      sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
                        There was a control collar on Moya in the 1st episode. I think the Peacekeepers were expecting to be able to control what ever was born from Moya. I also think there were expecting something alot more docile like Moya. It was an experiment and I don't think it turned out the way they expected. They were looking for a small highly powerful, very manueverable ship that only needed a few people as crew. Instead what was created was a dangerous ship with the mind of a child that no one could control.
                        That is an understatement.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I looked at the thread titles and didn't see anything that looked like it dealt with this. What is the big deal about the fact that Talyn has weapons? The Peacekeepers already have ships with weapons so what is so important about a Leviathan with weapons? It doesn't seem to make much sense to me. I'm currently starting Season 2 so if it's explained later I haven't gotten there yet. I don't mind spoilers seeing as how I know how the show ended when it was cancelled and before the Peacekeeper Wars was made.
                          They wanted Talyn cos normal ships, when they get damaged, they have to repair and reconstruct, but Talyn was able to regenerate. He also had a better energy source(life) that powered him. He was a VERY powerful ship. He would have lived out his days he would have had the power to destroy Command Carriers.
                          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

1) He had massive firepower - could potentially take on a command carrier as Talyn had much better maneuverability.
                            2) He could think for himself
                            3) He could starburst
                            4) He could also be controlled by just one person (Crais in this case) with a lot faster reaction time

Putting all those together you have one might formidable living ship.
                            sigpic

Comment

I think the PKs wanted Talyn to study how to make more like him.
                              If the PKs' main transport vessels are leviathans, being able to produce gunships like Talyn would add more 'bang for your buck' to those transports.

As for long distance space travel: I don't think it was really explained. Other than wormholes, Starburst seemed to be the only 'explained' mode of FTL.
                              They tended to avoid explaining tech stuff (w/ wormhole tech, I think, being the only 'science bits' expounded on. For everything else, it's usually "this is how it works..." <cut to different scene> "...and that's how it works.") so while, for example, we hear 'hetch drive' and a 'hetch x' (where x is, I guess a speed value), that's pretty much it.

Hmm. Come to think of it, there's a mention of fuel (ep. Green Eyed Monster), but they don't ever mention much in terms of ship logistics, I think: how often is Moya/Talyn refueled? what are the maintenance requirements? Leviathans and Talyn are biological - do they eat? photosynthesis, perhaps? Lotsa questions...(not that answers are necessary: the characters and the story are awesome enough without expanding on the tech stuff )

Maybe the RPG book has an explanation for the long dist. travel and ship logistics issues? Or the illustrated companions? (too lazy to check now... )
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X