Atlantis' chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis' chair

I ran a few searches for my question and didn't find anything helpful, so I'm sorry if this is a repost of some kind. I'm curious: with Atlantis [presumably] still on Earth, would it's control chair in theory also control the Ancient systems still present on Earth in addition to everything it controls on Atlantis?

Since Earth's chair was destroyed, I'm curious if someone sat in Atlantis' chair and fired off some drones into orbit, would it simultaneously fire drones from Atlantis' arsenal and the stockpile in Antarctica? Or is a physical connection required? It seems possible considering that the SGC transferred Earth's chair from Antarctica to Area 51 and it would still have functioned the same.

This question popped into my head because next weeks episode of SGU has something to do with a LA attack on Earth and I'm wondering if they'll actually show any of Earth's defenses.

I wouldn't expect it to control the Outpost defences unless it was docked with the Outpost. This way, if something bad happens, two different chairs aren't giving out mixed signals and one chair isn't screwing with the controls of another.

sigpic

Comment

The atlantis tech was really mixed up sometimes. I wouldn't be suprised if the chairs worked the same way as a puddle jumpers DHD. But than again, maybe a chair does have to be calibrated for a particular system to work for it.
      sigpic
      Weapons At Maximum!

Comment

Who needs the Antarctic outpost when Atlantis is floating off the west coast of the USA? Just move the outpost's drones to Atlantis and be done with it.

Comment

Technically Atlantis is in the San Francisco Bay.. not off the coast, but that's irrelevant..

I think that the drones themselves would need to be calibrated to the chair on Atlantis for them to be activated by it.. anyways I agree with Snowman37.. I am sure the drones from the outpost have already been moved to the Atlantis drone storage area.. without a chair to control them they are useless to Earth and would be of more use to Atlantis..
          sigpic

Comment

They moved the chair to Area 51 but we heard no such movement of the drone. Seeing as they are the weapons themselves and the chair is not, it stand to reason that they were moved as well.

Anyway seeing as the drones from The Tower were moved to Atlantis i see no reason that the drones from the outpost can be used from Atlantis as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
              Who needs the Antarctic outpost when Atlantis is floating off the west coast of the USA? Just move the outpost's drones to Atlantis and be done with it.
              Seems like that would essentially setup a Stargate version of Pearl Harbor (all the resources/defenses in one place)...

Comment

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
                Seems like that would essentially setup a Stargate version of Pearl Harbor (all the resources/defenses in one place)...

I agree, should atlantis be needed elsewhere, earth would be defenseless if all the drones were on atlantis. Also, I think any chair could control any drone, until there is more than one chair in use. When there are two or more chairs in use each set of drones would default to there origional chairs, thus avoiding the complications mentioned above. The ancients were pretty good at making all of their techs compadible with each other.

Comment

ok first the ancients always set up one chair per planet in all the cases we know.

second, the chair controlling the drones must have some connection with the drones. lets just say a special channel as if we talk of a radio station. remember on rising beckett shoot a drone that was beeing put on study and was not connected to anything. so i guess two chairs could mess up the drones unless they have their own "channel" to receive orders from a specific chair.

as we know atlantis is trashed on the episode enemy at the gate. the earth team may never fix the flight engines (estellar propulsion, hyperspace and the new thing that reached earth in seconds) so i dont think that earth even if it manages to fix it its going to send the city to pegasus where everyone in a resume hates the earth people and more than once tried to get rid of them.

plus the genii might try to retake the city once their position on the Pegasus people alliance (don't remember the name) its secure.
                  all the Pegasus people are all cocky and thinks that earth people stolen Atlantis from them...
                  Last edited by SILLYFAN; 15 July 2011, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raven Gold View Post
                    The atlantis tech was really mixed up sometimes. I wouldn't be suprised if the chairs worked the same way as a puddle jumpers DHD. But than again, maybe a chair does have to be calibrated for a particular system to work for it.
                    The chair is nothing more than a wireless router.

Comment

Originally posted by SILLYFAN View Post
                      ok first the ancients always set up one chair per planet in all the cases we know.

second, the chair controlling the drones must have some connection with the drones. lets just say a special channel as if we talk of a radio station. remember on rising beckett shoot a drone that was beeing put on study and was not connected to anything. so i guess two chairs could mess up the drones unless they have their own "channel" to receive orders from a specific chair.

as we know atlantis is trashed on the episode enemy at the gate. the earth team may never fix the flight engines (estellar propulsion, hyperspace and the new thing that reached earth in seconds) so i dont think that earth even if it manages to fix it its going to send the city to pegasus where everyone in a resume hates the earth people and more than once tried to get rid of them.

plus the genii might try to retake the city once their position on the Pegasus people alliance (don't remember the name) its secure.
                      all the Pegasus people are all cocky and thinks that earth people stolen Atlantis from them...

As for your first paragraph; who cares! Just because we havent seen two chairs on one planet doesn't mean anything. We are talking hypathetically here. If one chair were to control two sets of drones what would happen. Along with variations, that is what this thread is about, not has it ever happened!

As for your second paragraph; I covered exactly that in my origional post. I said that in the case of more than one chair, each chair would be reassigned their origional set of drones to control. And of course the drones aren't physically connected to anything. They are controlled through some sort of signal, possibly subspace. I think the drones would communicate with each other and the chairs and in an instant determine witch ones are to be controlled by witch chair.

As for your third and fourth paragraphs; that is completely irrelevent to this thread. I really hope that you were speaking to the people of the thread in general and were not replying directly to my post, even then you've messed up royally.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantean 7921 View Post
                        I agree, should atlantis be needed elsewhere, earth would be defenseless if all the drones were on atlantis. Also, I think any chair could control any drone, until there is more than one chair in use. When there are two or more chairs in use each set of drones would default to there origional chairs, thus avoiding the complications mentioned above. The ancients were pretty good at making all of their techs compadible with each other.
                        thats refereed about the post of why Atlantis probably never go back to Pegasus. and yes if Atlantis goes it will leave earth without protection.

second you should be less rude, and of course i get based on everything that happens on the show. are you insane? what kind of thread its based on theories without basing ourselves on what is said and show on the TV show.?
                        if you don't like it then don't read my posts or answer to them.

and the chairs are like the stargates. one per planet or ship. the ancient war ships used to have just 1 chair (generally the captains chair) to control everything so why 2 chairs??? its something stupid since every chair needs to be properly initialized a big naquadah generator or a ZPM.

Comment

Working...
                        X