Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would "Entropic Cascade" happen eventually ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would "Entropic Cascade" happen eventually ?

When two identical matter exist in the same universe , it will "entropic cascade" , like what happen to Alternative Carter in Episode "Point of view"
    It happen after a few hour, but Carter thought it would take years for "entropic cascade" .

People can move around , and die then decompose.
    But spare parts?
    The Damage Destiny's spare part are the one that still world on the (real or current ) Destiny.
    If they mixed part and use on Destiny, two exact same part could connect with their counter part.

If the duplicate part gets "entropic cascade" , the ship could get into serious situation.

And after a while nobody can tell which part is from the duplicate Destiny.

Wonder what happen when two exact matter occupy the same space?
    If the Shuttle and the duplicate crash into each other , would the fabric of the unvierse get tare apart?

It's an interesting thought, but I'm going to have to go with no. The only time we've ever seen entropic cascade is with a person, or else our entire universe would've flickered out of existence long ago. And, as there are no more living duplicates, there's no biomatter left with which to cause a problem.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Entropic cascade only applied to alternate universe matter, anyway. This is same universe, different timeline matter.

Comment

We had other episodes with doubles of SG-1, Rodney, ect.

The entropic cascade was only used in that early SG-1 episode.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
          Entropic cascade only applied to alternate universe matter, anyway. This is same universe, different timeline matter.
          Branching timelines qualify as different universes. At some point, something different happened and a whole new existence was created in consequence.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I seem to recal entropic cascade applies to alternate realities not alternate timelines.
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              Branching timelines qualify as different universes. At some point, something different happened and a whole new existence was created in consequence.
              Not here. Here, it's the same timeline, just a different point. When alt-timeline Destiny came back, it arrived in the same timeline as current Destiny. That is the branch point. Both Destinies exist in the same universe in the same timeline. Even if they're from an alternate timeline, it is still the same universe, as is demonstrated in "Moebius" or Continuum.

Comment

It's still an alternate universe. We're just seeing them from different lengths of time away from the branch points. Take There But for the Grace of God, an alternate universe episode involving the Quantum Mirror. There's no deep, fundamental difference in that universe. Humans still breathe air, the galaxy is still ruled by the Goa'uld. But minor differences years before the episode is set (alt Sam not joining the military, alt Daniel being a jerk to Catherine instead of joining up) result in a branched timeline and its own distinct universe.

It's the same principle here, and in every other time travelling episode. Just because we're seeing the result more immediately doesn't make it any less of a distinct universe unto itself.

Comment

It's still an alternate universe. We're just seeing them from different lengths of time away from the branch points. Take There But for the Grace of God, an alternate universe episode involving the Quantum Mirror. There's no deep, fundamental difference in that universe. Humans still breathe air, the galaxy is still ruled by the Goa'uld. But minor differences years before the episode is set (alt Sam not joining the military, alt Daniel being a jerk to Catherine instead of joining up) result in a branched timeline and its own distinct universe.

It's the same principle here, and in every other time travelling episode. Just because we're seeing the result more immediately doesn't make it any less of a distinct universe unto itself.
                  No time travel episode uses that idea. Each universe is distinct. The timeline can be changed in one universe, altering that universe. That's what happened here. There is no alternate universe, just an alternate timeline, and so entropic cascade doesn't apply.

Comment

I posted this on another forum, but as it is relavent, I'll copy it here:

Here's my theory about it.
                    While time travel within a universe can create seperate timelines within that particular reality (Back to the future, Continuum etc), those timelines have very little effect in other realities. When you cross dimensions (entering a reality that you are not native too) however, you create some kind of dichotomy within the reality due to the intrusion of one reality directly onto another. Imagine that "our" universe" is an infinitely large peice of paper. Time marches on in it's way, splitting off into an infinite amount of branches based on decisions people make and the timing of "natural" events. (your standard time model). If a person travels back or forth in time, you don't have much of an issue as the "time tree" merely creates new branches of time in which to exist based on the actions of said individual(s) This only works however if there is the concept of "personal time" i.e: no matter how much you time travel "you" are always in "your" personal "present"

Now, imagine on top of this infinitely large peice of paper, there is an infinite amount of other infinately large peices of paper, all going along on thier merry way, BUT, the writing on each of these different peices of paper is also in an infinate amount of colors. If I pull the "red" me onto the "green" reality, reality itself will attempt to correct the problem by either attempting to remove the red me (that should not be in green), remove the red AND green me in order to restore everything back to green or merge the two into one green me so balance is restored that way.

Comments apreciated, I find this subject very interesting!!
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

No time travel episode uses that idea.
                      Or, all time travel episodes use the idea, but it's not stated in dialogue because they'd rather people think of it as a 'time travel episode' than an 'alternate universe' episode.

Comment

Or, all time travel episodes use the idea, but it's not stated in dialogue because they'd rather people think of it as a 'time travel episode' than an 'alternate universe' episode.
                        Were we to believe entropic cascade resulted from every instance of time travel, then the two sets of Teal'c, Sam, and Daniel in the past must have died horribly.

Entropic cascade was treated as an alternate universe thing, and they ignored it the second time around. Time travel doesn't really count toward it, since the time jumper didn't explode as far as we know.

Comment

Were we to believe entropic cascade resulted from every instance of time travel, then the two sets of Teal'c, Sam, and Daniel in the past must have died horribly.
                          Which sets would those be? The Moebius ones that were never alive at the same time, and so would never have caused entropic cascade, or 1969 Jack which was a pre-destination paradox and therefore also immune from entropic cascade?

Comment

Entropic Cascade never really made any sense. Let's just forget it ever happened, like the three-shot Zat.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                              Entropic Cascade never really made any sense. Let's just forget it ever happened, like the three-shot Zat.
                              I agree, entropic casade should have happened regardless of whether that person was dead or not. Even when decomposed or cremated there are still minute particles of that person somewhere. Unless it's something to do with a soul??

Comment

Working...
                              X