Eli... again.. really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eli... again.. really?

Is anyone else finding it hard to believe just how rediculously intelligent tptb are making Eli? cracking the 9th chevron was one thing, that could be put down to dumb luck, but now with no knowledge of astrophysics doing what the best minds of the milkyway and probably pegasus could not? Plus Brody saying he's the smartest person he's ever met... Im not buying it... someone can be as smart as they want but that doest mean they've a PhD is astrophysics which would be an absolutely minimum requirement for the kinda calculations that Eli supposedly did.. which the earth scientists okayed.. its just not making sense to me... Eli being this kinda amazing genius, with pretty much zero formal education compared to every other scientist, is just stupid and for me anyway distracts from the realistic tone that the show is trying to set, and it really dimishes Rushes character who I was initially really excited about, but the tptb have since turned him into a sniviling nothing who isnt much more use than a college drop out.
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Eli is the new Mckay.

Comment

He had some formal education he just dropped out for his mom and became lazy

Comment

That's problem with SGU. People can't remember previous episodes and it's flashbacks too doesn't help much to keep track the plots.

Dialing stargate inside a star was mentioned in previous episodes. Eli got a little helps from Ginn, the LA math girl. If I'm not mistaken, it has been mentioned too help from Chloe which is possessed the blue alien knowledge. Plus, Eli used the stone to verify the math with Earth scientist.

Comment

I'll simplify it:

Calculation need math.
          Eli good math.
          Eli calculate good.

Comment

Originally posted by Trinary View Post
            People can't remember previous episodes
            That's a problem with viewers, not the show itself.

As you say, there's no reason to expect he couldn't calculate this out himself. In the first place, he was an MIT math drop-out before the show started. You've got to be pretty damn good at math to get into MIT, and the only reason he dropped out was to be able to take care of his mother--not because he was having trouble with school.

In Earth, he was obviously smart enough to grasp the ins and outs of the plan, even if he didn't understand it completely. At the end of that, he was given all the data on the failure and told to study it. By my estimation, it's been over 9 months since Earth. Lots of time to have analysed the data and figured what went wrong, in his own time.

But that isn't all. He says in Twin Destinies that he'd had help from Ginn on the math as well. And we learned pretty quickly in their relationship that she was a math geek too. So not one but two math geeks who'd like to go home were working on the problem.

There's just no reason to criticise the writing on this. It makes sense.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
              I'll simplify it:

Calculation need math.
              Eli good math.
              Eli calculate good.
              My point is that its not just math, you be as good at math as you want but without some serious knowledge of astrophysics how can calculate anything to do with a star, plus without a formal education in math Eli would have absolutely no knowledge of certain types of math.. Basically Im saying that its totally impossible for any graduate, MIT or otherwise to be able to do what eli did, without years of astrophysics education.

Plus the main point of this thread isn't Eli being really good at math, its the fact that a college drop out without so much as an undergraduate degree (even I have one of them) cannot be smarter then Rush or any of the other PhDs aboard the ship for the simple reason that as smart as someone is, they can't have knowledge of a field of science without actually studying it.

Comment

The premise for his being on the show is that he learned a rudimentary form of a Latin root language in order to solve a math puzzle devised millions of years ago by the Ancients. How is this any more implausible than that?
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

It seems as if this entire argument fails to remember the actual episode. Rush is very specific that Eli didn't take the effects of the star into account. Even Eli doesn't deny that fact, merely citing his simulations as having run successfully. Bill Lee also points out that Eli's program is related to power flow. Eli isn't an astrophysicist, and doesn't pretend to be. He is an extremely talented mathematician, and when you're dealing with quantifiable values such as the power generation during Destiny's refueling in a star, you can develop this type of program. What Eli isn't qualified to do is assess the dangers of solar flares and the like while dialing from a star, and it is this lack of knowledge in the subject which gets everyone killed.

The show, from the beginning, has only presented him as extremely good at math, better than even Rush as evidenced by his ability to solve the power flow issues to get to Destiny in the first place. He never goes beyond that.

Comment

The entire purpose behind having an Eli type character is so that ordinary people can relate to him and, by proxy, with this show. So making him look good makes viewers happy.

Comment

Originally posted by ns2 View Post
                      He had some formal education he just dropped out for his mom and became lazy
                      Thats why I love SGU. Their heroes have flaws. Eli was lazy, couldn't complete anything. And now look at him.

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                      Eli is the new Mckay.
                      Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                        Eli is the new Mckay.
                        I hate mckay

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                          My point is that its not just math, you be as good at math as you want but without some serious knowledge of astrophysics how can calculate anything to do with a star, plus without a formal education in math Eli would have absolutely no knowledge of certain types of math.. Basically Im saying that its totally impossible for any graduate, MIT or otherwise to be able to do what eli did, without years of astrophysics education.

Plus the main point of this thread isn't Eli being really good at math, its the fact that a college drop out without so much as an undergraduate degree (even I have one of them) cannot be smarter then Rush or any of the other PhDs aboard the ship for the simple reason that as smart as someone is, they can't have knowledge of a field of science without actually studying it.
                          I think you may be confusing "intelligence" with "education" here mate
                          But in essense I agree. Pythagoras was "pretty good at math" as well, doesn't mean he could calculate a hyperspace window.
                          sigpic
                          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                            I hate mckay
                            I love McKay

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                              I love McKay
                              *high fives*

Comment

Working...
                              X