What if the wormhole was stable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if the wormhole was stable?

Just been thinking. If the wormhole connection back to Earth made on the alternate Destiny was more stable and everyone made it safely through to Earth what would those on the present day Destiny do?

How would they react if they found out that a copy of themselves was back on Earth with their families. Would you say they would be more inclined to carry on with the mission or might even try dialling back to Earth themselves since they have already seen that its been successful?

lol, excellent question. I suppose more would be inclined to keep on with the mission. Although it would actually be a pretty beneficial situation for everyone involved, rather than having their significant others miss a loved one for months or years at a time the duplicates could play tag team on their families and loved ones
    I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Agreed, although I personally would stick with the mission no matter what.

Comment

I think they would be more inclined to stay, knowing that the Destiny would get severely damaged in the process of returning home.

Comment

Well if it did work then there would be no other timeline. If the timeline did split though then both crews would dial in at the same time (relative) and....well im not sure what would happen.

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
            I think they would be more inclined to stay, knowing that the Destiny would get severely damaged in the process of returning home.
            Not to mention the prospect of competing with 12-hours-older versions of themselves for their loved ones, jobs, etc. back home.
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
              Not to mention the prospect of competing with 12-hours-older versions of themselves for their loved ones, jobs, etc. back home.
              There wouldnt be as both crews would come through at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                There wouldnt be as both crews would come through at the same time.
                No. Destiny flashed back 12 hours the instant the ninth-chevron locked according to Rush, so that means the evacuation took place 12 hours before "our" crew even reached the star. "Our" guys would have arrived at Stargate Command 12 hours after their future counterparts had all gone according to plan.
                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Could it be possible to have a time loop in this case?

First Destiny making a successful connection but at the same time going back in time 12 hours. Second Destiny then arriving and finds the first Destiny with Rush and the volunteers on-board, hear that Eli's plan is successful and enough of them still want to go home regardless. They then follow the exact same plan and the second Destiny is also sent back in time 12 hours when the connection is made.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanith0709 View Post
                    Could it be possible to have a time loop in this case?

First Destiny making a successful connection but at the same time going back in time 12 hours. Second Destiny then arriving and finds the first Destiny with Rush and the volunteers on-board, hear that Eli's plan is successful and enough of them still want to go home regardless. They then follow the exact same plan and the second Destiny is also sent back in time 12 hours when the connection is made.
                    There's no time loop here. Every time Destiny is sent back in time, the "main" timeline suddenly has a new iteration of Destiny and all aboard. Which each successive attempt, you have more copies.

Comment

Like Rush said, they could do it over and over again until they had a whole crew of Rushes to run Destiny

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                        No. Destiny flashed back 12 hours the instant the ninth-chevron locked according to Rush, so that means the evacuation took place 12 hours before "our" crew even reached the star. "Our" guys would have arrived at Stargate Command 12 hours after their future counterparts had all gone according to plan.
                        no but they were both dialing "home" at the same time, being separate timelines means that they wouldnt affect each other in this matter, the second one probably wouldnt exist if it worked.

Comment

I don't think there would've been any conflict at all, honestly, because there would only be a 12 hour crossover of 'doubles'.

The Timeline of Awesomeness:

The Past >---x----|----y-----/

(Verylargespace))/-----z----|-----a--->Future

Now let me explain this (very) crude "drawing".

1. The time period that is marked with an 'x', includes all the past happenings to Destiny and the crew, including the events that happened in Deliverance, up until EXACTLY 12 hours before the crew dialed to Earth from Destiny.
                          2. The time period marked with a 'y', as well as the period marked with a 'z' happen at the exact same time as far as an outside observer (e.g. someone at the SGC that had no part in the time travel) is concerned. The difference is what the crew of the Destiny experiences.

'y' includes everything from exactly 12 hours before they activated the gate right up until the exact moment before they made a connection with Earth.
                          'z' includes everything from the precise moment they made a connection with Earth until 12 hours after that.

At then end of 'y', the Destiny crew is sent back in time (12 hours) to the beginning of the period 'z'.

3. Obviously, 'a' then includes everything after point 2.

To the crew of the Destiny, it would've been an entire 24 hour period; however, for the rest of us, it would have only been a 12 hour period. Once again, we see that time is relative.

I would contend that the crew would never intersect with their past (12 hours ago) selves; to the point of possibly not even knowing that time travel occurred.

(Ignore the really large space in my 'drawing'. I just needed to put in something to get it to line up the way i want it to and the BB code I'm trying isn't working.)
                          Last edited by AVFan; 16 March 2011, 08:56 AM.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
                            lol, excellent question. I suppose more would be inclined to keep on with the mission. Although it would actually be a pretty beneficial situation for everyone involved, rather than having their significant others miss a loved one for months or years at a time the duplicates could play tag team on their families and loved ones
                            Yup.. The 'duplicates' would stay on destiny and "do their thing" while the ones on earth would live it up.

Comment

Working...
                            X