No announcement yet.

Did he plan it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slap to those who thought rush DID it deliberately!

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
      Slap to those who thought rush DID it deliberately!
      To be fair it is something he would do.
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

I say it isn't.. Yes he riged the simulation for the first one, but that was before he and young were buds.. Now i don't see him doing something like that, jeopardizing the crew and the ship..

Comment

I say it isn't.. Yes he riged the simulation for the first one, but that was before he and young were buds.. Now i don't see him doing something like that, jeopardizing the crew and the ship..
          Why not? He has done it before.
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
            We'll never really know whether or not he sabotaged the dialing sequence, but I'd like to think he did the right thing and tried to help them all get home. I'd like to think...
            ditto. his scene with telford was quite passinate
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              Why not? He has done it before.
              That he has.. but look at him since he got the secret of the bridge out there in Greater good.. IMO he has stopped being that "Selfish" man.

Comment

I'm not so optimistic. He has shown the capacity to do these selfish things before. He might do it again if the need comes again
                Jelgate is right

Comment

He might.. but from how he has changed, i was hoping he didn't revert back..

Comment

Did he do it intentionally? Yes, absolutely. Did he plan it? That I'm not so sure of.

It seems like it was a crime of opportunity, in the sense that shuttle Rush (original Rush) realized there was a solar flare and made an immediate, split-second decision to take advantage of the flare. This is supported by the fact that Telford is the only one who survived -- he was the first to walk through the gate, then Rush declared the wormhole was unstable, recalibrated the gate, and only then did the rest of the crew go through.

There are other big hints, not the least of which is shuttle Rush's defensiveness about the original Destiny. When Telford accuses him of manipulating the situation, it seriously gets under Rush's skin, as we saw from his reaction, accidentally pushing Telford into the coils.

But Rush is also defensive with himself. Notice that when Rush #2 asks him, "What really happened?" original Rush impatiently downplays it and says, "I've already told you what happened." He can't even look his other self in the eye when he says that. Rush #2 nods with a knowing look on his face.

But Rush #2 doesn't seem to fully realize what happened until he's through the Stargate, and Young says that all things considered, Rush should be happy that they got to resupply. And the episode ends with a distracted-looking Rush as the realization of what he just did dawns on him.

He had every motivation to do it, and pulling a stunt like that without consulting anyone else, even though he's putting their lives at risk, is consistent with everything we know about his character and every action he's ever taken over two seasons. And if people did lose their lives over it, well hey, it's for the greater good. That's vintage Rush.

Comment

I don't think Rush would kill the entire crew. He needed them to keep the ship running. He attempted to stabilize the wormhole as best he could. That allowed them to survive the wormhole even if they didn't get home.
                      All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Planetary View Post
                        Did he do it intentionally? Yes, absolutely.
                        First of all, as D Toccs pointed out on page 2 of this thread, there was no precedent for what happened to Destiny - Rush had no way of knowing that it was even possible to send the ship back in time, let alone that it had actually happened.

It seems like it was a crime of opportunity, in the sense that shuttle Rush (original Rush) realized there was a solar flare and made an immediate, split-second decision to take advantage of the flare. This is supported by the fact that Telford is the only one who survived -- he was the first to walk through the gate, then Rush declared the wormhole was unstable, recalibrated the gate, and only then did the rest of the crew go through.
                        That...actually doesn't support the idea that Rush did it because by the time Telford went through, Destiny had already been sent back in time. Remember, there weren't just two Rushes during the episode - there were two Telfords as well, and the Telford that when back in time made it to Earth.

There are other big hints, not the least of which is shuttle Rush's defensiveness about the original Destiny.
                        Imagine for a moment that you tried to save a friend's life and failed. Now imagine that someone keeps asking you about what happened with your friend's death, your role in it, etc. I imagine that that would make me pretty defensive.

Now multiply that by about eighty.

When Telford accuses him of manipulating the situation, it seriously gets under Rush's skin, as we saw from his reaction, accidentally pushing Telford into the coils.
                        ...and practically has an aneurism over the accident.

If accidentally killing one person in a fight sends Rush into a panic, how could he deliberately kill eighty people, many of whom he knew at least as well as Telford?

But Rush is also defensive with himself. Notice that when Rush #2 asks him, "What really happened?" original Rush impatiently downplays it and says, "I've already told you what happened." He can't even look his other self in the eye when he says that. Rush #2 nods with a knowing look on his face.
                        That's an interesting point, but I read that more as exasperation than guilt.

However, assuming the older Rush did somehow orchestrate this whole thing, what motive does he have to lie to his younger self, especially when he's planning on dying within the next few minutes?

But Rush #2 doesn't seem to fully realize what happened until he's through the Stargate, and Young says that all things considered, Rush should be happy that they got to resupply. And the episode ends with a distracted-looking Rush as the realization of what he just did dawns on him.
                        Maybe the younger Rush believes the older Rush somehow orchestrated this whole thing. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that he is right.
                        "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                        - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                        - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                        - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Quadhelix,

Exactly. There is no way Rush could have predicted the accident that thrust the damaged Destiny back in time just enough to allow resupply. He knew time travel was possible but absolutely couldn't predict it well enough to successfully pull off what happened.
                          All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Plan it so he could kill himself? That ain't rush.

No I don't think he planned it. He was against it from the start remember, seems pointless for him to jeopardise everything.

Comment

Originally posted by kcatlantis View Post
                              Did Rush somehow plan that to happen so they would get supplies they needed to continue on with the "MISSION". Anyways I'm really happy to see a show actually go after supplies.
                              clearly in Continuum, each solar flare has a different point in time that it would cause you to connect to, there would be no way of Rush knowing that it would take the wormhole back in time by 12 hours, to say nothing of somehow engulfing the ship as well and throwing all of Destiny back with it so that there would be the supplies to get
                              Rush takes advantage of the situations, he doesn't cause them.......but, by taking advantage of something, seemingly, other things get caused

Comment

I have to agree, Rush's concern has always been continuing with the mission.....and anything that jeapordizes that, Rush would not do

the reviews of Stargate Universe were that you weren't suppose to really know what Rush's intentions were, he was SUPPOSE to look like the bad guy.......but when people try hard to make someone LOOK like the bad guy, that person usually isn't, (especially in shows), and thus, you need to look at the subtlties of his actions

his purpose, his goal, his focus has ALWAYS been, the mission, and its continuation.......he would NEVER jepordize that

Comment

Working...
                                X