This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post
    "Time" was a great episode, but it happened too soon. Same with "Twin Destinies" and it and the Novus storyline should have been at least 1 season apart.
    It's important to put things back in context; SGU was under the barrel from the fandom ever since its first episodes. Obviously Time is not the case since it was in S1, but I am convinced TPTB had to put all their aces on the table much sooner than expected.

On a personal note, Time was my favorite Time travel episode and probably my favorite SGU episode, love the tense and ''horror'' atmosphere mixed with time travel and Stargates, and Rush ofc. Doesn't get any better than this.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I agree on the TPTB pulling all of their aces thing. Good call. They did screw up Atlantis in its final two seasons.

Time was also my favorite episode in SGU besides Light. For me, nothing beats the Destiny recharging scene and Rush telling Scott to head directly toward the planet so they could reach the ship. For me, that's a little bit of horror right there as well. Same with Time, I got goose bumps the first time I watched the scene where Scott leaves a video message on the Kino at the end of the episode.

Comment

100% agreed on Time, it was literally the first Stargate episode that was true horror imo and the Time Travel was very well done, clever to use a Keno.
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

As much as I love time travelling, it feels like cheating from the writers. It can be a good plot device on character level, but I am not really a fan of acquiring technologies. I also didn't like when an alternate universe sacrifice themselves for an other AU. It is simply not logical. If you check the event with the eye of the AU timeline, why would you throw away and sacrifice everything for an other reality? Escpecially that the multiversum creates infinite number of possibilities, so maybe all the noble efforts were good for nothing.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Great point, as usual Mr. P. I would normally concur, but SGU is, imo, an exception.

Maybe my reasoning is wrong, but in regards to multiverses, wouldn't it be fair to say that SGU takes place in such a remote place that there isn't as many parallel universes as anywhere else? Also considering that there aren't as many choices of locations since there's a limited amount of Gates on Destiny's path?
            Spoiler:

Comment

But anything can affect a reality. If an AU world sacrifice itself or not. If Eli has turned right or left on a corridor. If Rush could translate something or not. If Novus was being destroyed or not. Maybe the MW or P galaxy events haven't had a direct effect on the Destiny, but reality is reality everywhere. So in this case we could have seen such AU versions where the Blueberry occupied the Destiny, when the Ancient have never left, when the CBR is completly solved, when Destiny has gone back to the MW or when Destiny has never left etc.

When I have talked about getting technology : check what happened with our first precious ZPM. There was one AU, where the SG-1 has been lost in Egypt. Then a second AU which also sent the "weird" SG-1 back to Egypt. Then the third AU, which became our prime timeline got a ZPM. But come on, two AUs have sacrificed themselves for this step then the third got a ZPM what they haven't done anything for as they shouldn't know any other details what was recorded on the tape. So this is cheating and not far. Our heroes haven't done anything while they have received a ZPM.

Similar happened in Twin Destinies. Suddenly everybody and everything are duplicated, so they "steal" stuffs from their own AU-Destiny. Or when magically the shuttle returned by the Eden aliens. This is cheating.

Or we could talk about Continuum. Multiply AU were destroyed and then they simply executed Ba'al while they have no idea what other AU heroes have done for them. So I am sure it is fun for actors to play the evil themselves and to show their acting skills in other roles, but it still felt as cheating.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                But anything can affect a reality (...)
                I know you're talking about the blue aliens but I'm just picturing baskets of blueberries taking over Destiny

When I have talked about getting technology : check what happened with our first precious ZPM. There was one AU, where the SG-1 has been lost in Egypt. Then a second AU which also sent the "weird" SG-1 back to Egypt. Then the third AU, which became our prime timeline got a ZPM. But come on, two AUs have sacrificed themselves for this step then the third got a ZPM what they haven't done anything for as they shouldn't know any other details what was recorded on the tape. So this is cheating and not far. Our heroes haven't done anything while they have received a ZPM.
                You forgot to mention the most blatant one, in SGA's last season with Tod's ZPM and the ''alternate ending'' to the replicator final battle where we see this dart somehow beaming up a ZPM in 0.05 seconds before the planet explodes and goes back to the ship (Because Tod won't leave without his men, he's that cool).

I really really hated SG1's final seasons when it became a last-minute beam every single time. The prior bug planet was the worst of them. At least in SGA they (most of the time) didn't have a mothership around so they had to rely on jumpers.

Similar happened in Twin Destinies. Suddenly everybody and everything are duplicated, so they "steal" stuffs from their own AU-Destiny. Or when magically the shuttle returned by the Eden aliens. This is cheating.
                I know I'm a die hard SGU fan so I might be a bit stubborn, BUT, I would make the same argument that I made in a previous post, this episode (Twin Destinies) was a clear example of MGM pulling the plug on W&C. They had no choice but to use a convenient plot such as this to somehow give a semblance of an ending to the arcs they had begun to develop. Wouldn't you agree?
                Spoiler:

Comment

Blueberries was the nickname of the Nakai on this forum, wasn't it? They could be still re-introduced as an arch enemy of Nem's people or maybe they could be responsible of the Watergate aliens. What if the Nakai has already reached the resource galaxy of Destiny : the Milky Way?

Well... They even joked about the beaming in "200". I don't mind this type of solution, just it ruins the drama and then it can turn the events into a parody.

I know about the Todd's actions, but khmm... khmmm.. khmm... We don't know how much time it took the planet to explode. They could have nicked some Ancient war ships as well as they were left them without crew... So they could have beamed in quickly some ATA gene carriers and tadam the expedition could have had some warships.

Comment

Nakai is a complete fanon name
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post

You forgot to mention the most blatant one, in SGA's last season with Tod's ZPM and the ''alternate ending'' to the replicator final battle where we see this dart somehow beaming up a ZPM in 0.05 seconds before the planet explodes and goes back to the ship (Because Tod won't leave without his men, he's that cool).

I really really hated SG1's final seasons when it became a last-minute beam every single time. The prior bug planet was the worst of them. At least in SGA they (most of the time) didn't have a mothership around so they had to rely on jumpers.
                      At least they gave us Puddle Jumpers in SGA. Thank God they didn't integrate them into the final seasons of SG-1. If nothing else, they made the characters to have to think while on a mission. Getting back to a Jumper isn't as easy on a Wraith-populated planet. Also, I completely agree on the last-minute beams for SG-1. There was just too much of them.

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                      I know I'm a die hard SGU fan so I might be a bit stubborn, BUT, I would make the same argument that I made in a previous post, this episode (Twin Destinies) was a clear example of MGM pulling the plug on W&C. They had no choice but to use a convenient plot such as this to somehow give a semblance of an ending to the arcs they had begun to develop. Wouldn't you agree?
                      I would. And I do. They managed to screw up Atlantis by ditching the two actors whose characters basically held the show together. Then they brought 1 of them back to play a clone version of their character. Which was another bad idea. There would be no need for Twin Destinies if at least Atlantis would have been done the right way. I no longer buy that the ratings were going down before Torri and Paul "left" or that someone wasn't doing a good job. Something else went on, maybe someone didn't like how successful/popular the show was, wanted it out of the picture because [enter reason here] and had their hands in bringing it down.
                      Twin Destinies is, besides being a clear sign of MGM pulling the plug on W&C, also a proof that someone wanted Stargate out of the picture.
                      Last edited by Mnikolic; 28 November 2018, 09:50 AM.

Comment

It would have been easier to bring back an AUWeir or AUCarson with a different mission...

jelgate: Ohhh, you are everywhere. I know, I believe JM just joked when he used this Japanese word in his blog.

Comment

Well the recent interview with McGillion did reveal that TPTB didn't expect him to be so popular. They brought him back at the fan's request, kind of. Weir's ''death'' was also a bad move if you ask me. But my personal (unpopular opinion I know) is that Woolsey was the best SGA commander. I'd take Richard over Weir any day.

As to the smurf aliens, I wouldn't like it if they came from the MW galaxy, and tbh wouldn't make any sense. Such level of technology would be known throughout the galaxy for sure, and there's no way the Asgards would've never heard of them. Not to mention that the smurfs are literally on the other side of the Universe in SGU.

Sorry @Platschu , I'm a tough critic but I hope you take this in a constructive manner
                          Spoiler:

Comment

You are asking for logic when the communication stones were working easily.

Honestly the crew could be saved by the traditional way : they dial home with the stargate. We all know they haven't got enough energy. But it doesn't mean that nobody could understand the gate network, so what if a conqueror race is going to dial Destiny while they are sleeping in the pods? Or what if it has happened in the past already? We don't know all the powerful races in the Stargate franchise, so maybe races were coming and going as they have given up to break the master code, so they couldn't control the ship which was left alone and abadonned again and again.

Back to the smurfs (aka blueberries)... We don't know what they are capable of. Anything can be introduced with proper planning and writing.

Comment

I have just accidentally found this image from "Threads" :
                              https://www.gateworld.net/gallery/al...1_818_0617.JPG

The article is quite interesting on the right and it could fit to the Stargate : Universe, but it can be hardly readed :

"Gondolthian Nebula

Channelers, physics and sensitive ascendees will band together on O..... the third moon of Rebat as telephatic enchancment pods are placed, marking the beginning of the first Universe wide "conciousness superhighway".
                              The pods (several billion will be required to complete the project" must be placed in 2 light year intervals. Much like a radio replay station, the pods will become levels of concsious thought streaming throughout the known Universe.
                              "The increased purity of thought itself will be a welcome change, at least in this sector" says pod designer A*** Is****
                              The article was written by Mero Gartin (Martin Gero SG writer).

It looks like I was not the only one who has readed it : https://www.gateworld.net/wiki/Gondolthian_Nebula

Just an interesting fan fact. Martin Gero has got Hungarian origins. "Gondol" is a verb in Hungarian and it means "think".

Or it could a reference to Gondwana as they sound similar : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gondwana
                              Last edited by Platschu; 30 November 2018, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                                I have just accidentally found this image from "Threads" :
                                https://www.gateworld.net/gallery/al...1_818_0617.JPG

The article is quite interesting on the right and it could fit to the Stargate : Universe, but it can be hardly readed :

The article was written by Mero Gartin (Martin Gero SG writer).

It looks like I was not the only one who has readed it : https://www.gateworld.net/wiki/Gondolthian_Nebula

Just an interesting fan fact. Martin Gero has got Hungarian origins. "Gondol" is a verb in Hungarian and it means "think".

Or it could a reference to Gondwana as they sound similar : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gondwana
                                Funny that you mention that, on my last SG rewatch I actually paused and rewinded countless times to see most of the news. There are more, quite hilarious.

If I recall one headline is something alike *Daniel still unsure between ascended and human form*
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X