Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Give Gauntlet some credit: it's a nice "Arthurian Legend"-style exit, and also the perfect setup for what I'd call Eli's "Hero Journey": No easy fixes, no escape from a life-or-death decision... Will he make the ultimate sacrifice? What will his accrued karma come to? Will the Mission go on? Will the Drones destroy the Novans as they did the Ursini?

I think David Blue nailed it with his proposed S3 opener. Since anything can happen, I'd like to see some Stargate awesomeness, besides good ol' Destiny.

As I wrote in another thread, for SGU's continuation my answers would be 1e (most of 'em), 2a/d (a Novan planet), 3d (10 days / 40 years later, 50 years earlier), 4a/c/d.

J. Mallozzi said Brad Wright had the main story arc all worked out, including the CMBR puzzle. I have a reasonable guess about it that answers most questions, while being relatively simple and 100% canon. I crafted a plausible/explosive ending around it for the Ancients, Dr.Rush, and the "Destiny of all Things".

I also tinkered with plausible backstories (origins) for the Drones and the so-called Planet Builders.

Old announcement thread: https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...niverse-Legacy

Feedback welcome! P-}

Comment

Originally posted by plumber View Post
      Give Gauntlet some credit: it's a nice "Arthurian Legend"-style exit, and also the perfect setup for what I'd call Eli's "Hero Journey": No easy fixes, no escape from a life-or-death decision... Will he make the ultimate sacrifice? What will his accrued karma come to? Will the Mission go on? Will the Drones destroy the Novans as they did the Ursini?

I think David Blue nailed it with his proposed S3 opener. Since anything can happen, I'd like to see some Stargate awesomeness, besides good ol' Destiny.

As I wrote in another thread, for SGU's continuation my answers would be 1e (most of 'em), 2a/d (a Novan planet), 3d (10 days / 40 years later, 50 years earlier), 4a/c/d.

J. Mallozzi said Brad Wright had the main story arc all worked out, including the CMBR puzzle. I have a reasonable guess about it that answers most questions, while being relatively simple and 100% canon. I crafted a plausible/explosive ending around it for the Ancients, Dr.Rush, and the "Destiny of all Things".

I also tinkered with plausible backstories (origins) for the Drones and the so-called Planet Builders.

Old announcement thread: https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...niverse-Legacy

Feedback welcome! P-}
      What would be your guess you mentioned?

So far the best I've heard is Platschu's theory about Destiny being what caused the Bing Bang and them reaching the CMBR would be a self-fulfilling prophecy.
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
        What would be your guess you mentioned?

So far the best I've heard is Platschu's theory about Destiny being what caused the Bing Bang and them reaching the CMBR would be a self-fulfilling prophecy.
        Yay. I am being mentioned.

Honestly the Big Bang idea could only work if they would travel in time as well. Big Bang happened 11 billions ago. I am not an astrophysist, but I always imagined our universe that some part of it is falling apart, some part of it extending. Like when you hold up your fists then one of them is closed and then the other one is opened, then you swap them. Obviously the universe is a bit more complex so it could be described by many fists, where these movements could be described as a bigger picture. That could be the CBR.

So back to the Destiny. It could be connected to the CBR, if it would also jump back in time with every refill at the suns. Maybe they could have discovered that some solar flares could have influenced the road was taken, but this idea couldn't work as it has definately followed the seeder ships.

Maybe one of the seeder ship was stolen by an even bigger entity of the universe and it was sent back in time and place. So basically the CBR could be a broken recall sign for Destiny.

Or the CBR could be connected to the Dark Matter and the higher structure of the universe. Maybe the CBR could be connected to time travel as well, so not only dark matter, but the fluctation of CBR signals can also break some level of order. That is the reason I was thinking that the ascended beings' energy could fill these holes.

Even Wraith lifeforce could be connected to CBR. Lifeforce is something what can not be described with out current knowledge. Like a measurement of strength of soul so to say. If the Wraith can take it or give it back, then these energy changes could also cause fluctation of the local CBR in the Pegasus galaxy.

Or the CBR could be connected to the Giant aliens, so maybe it is similar to the muon radiation.

Or we could discover that there is an "anti-CBR" movement in the galaxy is well. So while the Destiny goes to the centre of the universe and tries to find the resource of it, what if a similar structure is not just coming from the destination, but it also goes to that way as well. Maybe some actions have already caused some waves back and forth. Imagine it that Destiny follows the "universe current" which is like an ocean current of CBR, but it actions, the seeder ship actions, the Ori vs. Alteran mini war, the Wraith feeding also send back a signal.

Even the CBR could be influenced by the centre of galaxies where are massive blackholes. Maybe the CBR could be used some major space and time travel like the galaxies would be some giant "solare flares" for the Destiny. Just then it would be a ripoff from Star Trek : Discovery's spore network. Or if the Destiny would be a self fulfilling prophecy, then it would be a ripoff from Babylon 5.

I don't know. I hope I have given some ideas to think about the meaning of CBR.
        Last edited by Platschu; 16 February 2020, 01:20 PM.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Much as I like Platschu's high-flying scenarios, I'm guessing the CMBR signal is simpler, and closer to SG canon.

1) Destiny carries an AI whose main goal is the accumulation (with extreme accuracy) of every bit of the Signal and understanding 'em. The AI also likes to understand other intelligences.

2) All those gazillions of Gates have another purpose, more important than occasional resource-gathering or sight-seeing. They're built to last, but not too long.

3) The Ancients didn't forget Destiny. They're eagerly waiting for its mission to succeed, as are many other Ascended races, for they cannot disregard how our Universe came to be, or how it may end.

The CMBR "energy signature" is too extensive/complex to be anything less than a trace or imprint of the energy being(s) who started our Universe, probably by answering their Universe's Asimovian "Last Question". If the original Signal could be accurately recreated, what kinds of answers would it give? If the AI managed to rebuild the original "being", would that being be a god, wanting and able to rule us? The Ancients planned to use the Gate 'trail' to reach Destiny and see for themselves!

That's what my fanfic is about. P-}

Comment

plumber: Nice idea.

Honestly I wouldn't mind to write out the whole ascended bunch once and for all. It is too high level, too much god like beings, too isolated from material world. So we had a good run with the Ori and the Ancients, but it would be time to let them go, so the mortal folks of the galaxy could be truly alone...

I don't know what BW planned with the CBR. Maybe we will never learn it. Since Stargate introduced multiverse and even they talked about the Moebius strip, so it could still happen that different scenarios happened in different realities :
            - like in one the Ancient has never sent the Destiny
            - like in one when the geometry of CBR is a repeating sequence what has already reached Earth
            - like in one where the Ancients are still on Destiny
            - like in one where the Ancients have already reached and discovered the meaning of CBR
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B6bius_strip

We even don't know if the CBR comes just from one place or it has got multiply sending resources. We don't know if the sequence is the same or changing or whether it is repeated after a time or whether it is just a local miracle etc.

I could still imagine that the planting of gate system (MW, P, U and any unknown network) are part of a bigger picture. Like draining energy from CBR to achieve the wormhole physics. I wouldn't mind to see a direct connection and explanation between CBR and the bigger universe.

Maybe wormhole physics work on a muck higher scale with the wormholes in the centre of galaxies. That is what I wanted to explain last time. You know they always described wormholes as a worm is eating an apple. But what if there is a much bigger fruit basket? Or if there is even a fruit basket company?

Or they could discover that such multigate dialing exists. It means just NOT to call multiply gates at the same time (what Baal did in Reckoning) and NOT the travel betwen the gates' memory (like in the intergalactic bridge), rather such advanced gate dialing protocols, where other gates help to establish a wormhole between point A and B. So:
            gate A----->gate B would be an 8 dial code, horrible amount of energy blablabla
            gate A---A2---A3---A4---> gate B a cheaper dialing protocoll, where the wormhole goes through other gates and they add energy, so it would be summed up by the included gates and then the travel would arrive to destination B. So if this new method could work then we could cross galaxies much easier and then we could call the other galaxies in a cheaper way as well. Maybe this could be an explanation of plumber's gate "trail" as the path not just looks to the direction of the seeder ship, but maybe they were planning such bigger jumps to the CBR resource as well.

(Or my "shell" ship idea could work, where the Ancients wanted to use a new ship-building which uses the stargate network with its stargate drive. So they don't need DHD or dialing controller as this newly discoverd ship would have it on the board. Or the story could start that Destiny finds one of this shell ships in the next galaxy and they decide to go back to the MW with that one while Rush continues the mission on Destiny. The new-old SG:U team would cross a few galaxies, but they have to face a new threat who has stolen the network hub from the Milky Way and they wanted to capture the Destiny as well, but their sent shell ship has jumped too far ahead of Destiny's journey path etc.)

I know I have to much spare time to think about such problems, but it would be nice to touch such things in a new SG spin off (and my earlier explained "stargate drive", transphase gates, master gates, folded stargate etc.), but it is off topic here.
            Last edited by Platschu; 04 November 2018, 02:15 PM.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

By the way this "multigate" dialing method could be similar to threading a needle as Bra'tac would say it. It wouldn't work in the Milky way or the Pegasus as there are so many gates are there and it would need a very complicated, advanced math. While the Destiny just planted stargates in one direct way (the "trail" (c) plumber), so this new method could be used during this trail. I could even imagine it that they would send out a newly acquired dialing protocol (from the Atlantis database or any other resource), so they would send a direct order to the network to merge the dialing power of the Universe gates.

Even the CBR could be studied while somebody is in transit of stargate. We know that the travel between two gates is only 0,3 secs, so nobody would can study anything about the CBR. But what if the travellers of the Intergalactic Bridge could? What if the Ancients also found it out. It could even work with this story idea:

The future vulture
              The team meets a traveller who has just arrived through the stargate. At first he would pretend like he doesn't remember what is going on and who he is, but then the team would find out that he was trapped in the memory of the gate system as three stargates were calling each other. Planet A called B, B called C then C called A and then the circle repeated itself and he never materialized as he stayed in the memory system. Then later we would find it out that it was not an accident, but he is a proper time traveller (and maybe a war criminal like Linea), so he used this method to escape from his timeline and he hoped that soon it or later somebody will break the circle and he can return into life in the distant future.

This idea could work with any ally or enemy as well....
              https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...-in-2020/page4
              Last edited by Platschu; 04 November 2018, 03:02 PM.

Comment

One thing that I don't think I've seen anybody mention about the SGU gates is... Do they actually last for long? We know they are budget gates, much limited in functionality etc etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the first gates planted millions of years ago (or whatever amount of time Destiny was launched) are decrepit. A lot can happen on a planet, earthquakes, tornados, yata yata.
                Spoiler:
                I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

We don't know any exact details.

I am guessing they are NOT made of naquadah as the drones were capable of destroying some part of it. We could also see on the seeder ship that they are being assembled from different pieces.

On the other hand, they can still communicate with each other and send links back to the Destiny. Or the Destiny can "feel" the available stargates in its range. So that function is still there.

That is the reason I suggested to use the Avengers 3.0 to map the galaxies and then maybe they could send the supergate pieces in the memory of the gate systems instead of visiting every 10-15 gates what could cover one galaxy.

Comment

I just had the worst idea for an ending.

1 episode.
                    SG1 gates on board with the time dilation device. They rewind and zip back through the gate on Icarus.
                    The end.
                    Spoiler:

Comment

????

The stargate has been exploded on the Icarus planet.... So you can not rewind back anything without starting a new alternate reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                        ????

The stargate has been exploded on the Icarus planet.... So you can not rewind back anything without starting a new alternate reality.
                        Well it was more of a joke than anything else, might not have been one of my highlights, but I'd figure the most lame way to end the series would be to go back through time by use of the time dilation device (Unending)
                        Spoiler:

Comment

Sorry, my little inner Aschen myself couldn't follow you. This is not Stargate : Dallas, so such things wouldn't happen.
                          Last edited by Platschu; 13 November 2018, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                            Sorry, my little inner Aschen myelf couldn't follow you. This is not Stargate : Dallas, so such things wouldn't happen.
                            Spoiler:

Comment

A few critic voices from the Hungarian fandom already questioned that the time travel was an easy solution in so many cases : Destiny duplicated itself, so they could refill their supplies , or how the alt1/alt2/SG-1 got the ZPM for the current timeline in Moebius.... I know BW is a time travel expert and it served the main metaplot as well, but it still feels cheating. What will be the next one? A gaet malfunction with duplicating? Wait a second! That was basically the Ripple Effect.

It was already a mistake that they introduced 2 shuttles only. One of them has malfunction, then the other one crashed, then the Eden aliens have given back one. So that step also felt cheating.

Any other opinion about the CBR?

Comment

I agree with those critic voices. Time travel (at least in Stargate) should've only been used in cases like an SG team learning how to gate back to the past or present (the 1969 episode) or to stop a future event that could mean the end of the SGC and its expeditions (the Ashen storyline). "Before I Sleep" would be also a good example of why, when and for which reason the time travel in Stargate should have been used if the producers wouldn't decide to ditch the character that the story resolved around in that episode later on. Too many unnecessary last-minute solutions featuring a time travel plot actually helped SG to go downhill faster. "Time" was a great episode, but it happened too soon. Same with "Twin Destinies" and it and the Novus storyline should have been at least 1 season apart.

Comment

Working...
                                X