This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maneth View Post
    Cool ep yeah, but I can't claim to have laughed...
    sigpic
    Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

I was reading the discussion further back in the thread about the location as the Kino wanders around and the crew arrive. It bugged me too as to where exactly it was filmed.

I went on the Creation Location Tour a couple of weeks ago and we visited 'Terminal City' with Lynn Smith SG-1's location manager as our guide. It was the place where 'Seteda' was filmed and I asked to make sure. On seeing the location I thought it looked familiar on that shot of the Kino wandering around and where Young and the others walked past. It is the same.

You can see from this photo how the use of lighting, filming angles and just dressing up the structures can make it look different, but standing there and seeing it for myself confirmed to me that it was the same location. That door was on runners and you can see it was partly open when we were there to let us wander into the warehouse so you can see the white wall that is shown in the 'Blockade' shot as the door was closed in 'Blockade'. In 'Seteda' the same door was open all the way, covering the white wall and filmed tighter so you couldn't see the opening to the warehouse.

Also they attached the 'Tavern' sign onto that metal structure behind my head in 'Blockade'.

I am no longer bugged!
      Last edited by Krisz; 12 May 2012, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Holy crap, this was a good episode. The ending (well, near ending), when the Command Ship was descending down, reminded me of end of Thor's Chariot.

The Visual effects were damn amazing in this one (when isn't it). And Joel's score was just awesome, especially during the space-based scenes. Reason #6546 I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the Franchise Soundtracks.

Poor Park.

Tomorrow, the finale to everything (Franchise, Series, SGRewatch) . How will we deal with these drones?
        sigpic

Comment

The episode after "Epilogue" is disappointing, we get a breakthrough and some steps are taken back? It's still a good episode regardless because of many things; the exploration of the Novan people, the increased threat of the Drones (which made me appreciate them because of the challenge they pose) and Destiny recharging inside of a son.

First off, the plot with Eli and Rush is fantastic; these two have sort of a twisted chemistry that just effortlessly works for them. The attempts to converse end with nothing resembling closure or even consistency and the various emotions and outbursts that they utilize are somehow fun, it's like the odd couple, except they're trying to survive and those emotions, those interactions build up to some form of payoff where they manage to find a common ground and brace the storm; and what's good about that is that this isn't permanent, there's still some animosity between them but this is what the show is now all about, getting somewhere.

It's a shame what happened to Dr. Park, one second your fine the other your in a sweltering desert being flash blinded all while your food goes away in the dust. She was a nice fellow, always around willing to help, always contributing to the mission at hand, getting close to a certain someone and it provides another good part; the fact that things are getting toughter for them while at the same time influencing them emotionally. It just grabs the immediacy of survival, the ever increasing value of materials and the scarcity of finding such materials, it's such a reversal from past Stargates where they had everything at their disposal (a slight exception is Atlantis before "The Return".) a dark, gritty, realistic look at human nature that I'm sure could of been explored had the showed go on.

It also grabs the human nature aspect of it, caring, saving her even though it's impossible. Who knows why Eli wants to go down there and save her, maybe it's because she's a friend, maybe because she's important but the fact that he disregards all of the risks to save her shows the value in her life, shows what us humans are capable of in forms of compassion. And it also asks another question, just because we don't run to the rescue, does this mean that we're not good human beings? Rush is there standing trying to make sure everything goes okay and smooth and he isn't showing any emotion. That closed-minded nature certainly earns some negativity towards Eli, something that pecks at the mind even though it shouldn't and it is that nature which proves so intriguing; what is Rush thinking, is he feeling something, does he feel like this is his right choice? Just one of those times that prove that even though Rush has lost his sinister side, he can still provide moments like this.

The other plot however goes mostly nowhere; while I liked the fact that they explored the city, much of it was just that; exploring the city. They don't utilize the city in order to provide some emotional/character content, a platform of which they could relate to their lives or provide social commentary or even have an emotional moment of romance or passion. As I quote from my review, "I feel like instead of the city being used as a sort of one-off for the crew to explore, it could of been used as a reflection of humanity, of what's going on in the Destiny." It is this lack of exploration that underwhelms Universe. It does pick up near the end when the drones attack, it allowed the team to showcase their military knowledge and teamwork aspects while also providing the action SG fans love; I love it when they work as a team, judging the situation, taking every sight they see seriously, it just made me feel like I was there, like I was involved in the action and it made me feel for these guys as they tried to get out. In these scenes, these seem like actual people, military people but people nonetheless. This doesn't elevate the plot to greatness but it does manage to give it some leverage...

This could be exceptional if only they managed to rely more on the jokes, explore the issues a bit more and utilize the personal conflicts as more than just a way to get the drones attention but as it is; it's sort of good... I have to admire it from keeping up the momentum that the show is finally getting good, makes me feel sad that it was canceled.
          Back from the grave.

Comment

ELI: I'm adding this footage to my documentary. I think it's important.
            RUSH: Oh yeah? Why's that, then?
            ELI: They're our descendants!
            RUSH: Not mine. I wasn't there.
            ELI: OK. They're still us.

It was interesting to see the theme of Rush’s attitude towards the whole Novus thing continued into this episode. It really did get to him as he gets more snarky when things do, another one of those brief great character moments.

TELFORD: We use the communication stones and get the most qualified people aboard.
            RUSH: The most qualified people are already on board. It's myself and Eli.
            TELFORD: You're volunteering for this?!
            RUSH: This is our own lives that are on the line. You're not even bloody here.

I loved this scene. This was the moment where the crew of the Destiny came to the realization that they had come together as a crew and their efforts are what keeps them alive. Earth is of no use to them, never really has been from the start. Rush only says this because he knows and believes that this change had taken place over the course of the year or so they had been on Destiny. Telford and those on Earth could never really appreciate that I've always felt.

The whole part of Destiny being flown into that blue star was amazing! Some of the most spectacular visual effects of the show came with the destruction of the dome and Park hanging on for dear life as everything she worked so hard to grow disintegrated around her!

Rush’s pragmatic approach to Park’s situation whilst being the right one, given the need for Eli to concentrate on the task at hand gave a great dramatic moment between him and Eli. Rush is almost always right, but approaches it so coldly and callously it seems. Even as he tries to keep Eli’s mind on the vital task at that moment he was still causing problems by being so dismissive in Eli’s mind to the extent that anger was Eli’s distraction instead. Good to see the more mature Eli rising above it and stepping up to save the day!

“Holy crap, we’ve dialed Pittsburgh!”

I liked the observation that all the different Novan settlements would vary in technological advancement due to conditions faced on different planets. This is why we seemed to get less sophisticated architecture and the old huge vacuum tube computer monitor sitting on that table in one of the building they were hiding from the drones in! I love the idea of how the Novans seemed to re-create every aspect of technological, archaeological and social development that had happened on Earth.

Wow, the unexpected appearance of a drone, the wretched things were spread out even further than previously imagined! These certainly looked like they’d been there for ages and destroyed the civilization quite some time before the arrival of the Destiny crew. When that command ship turns up it just makes the chances of Destiny’s prospects for survival much bleaker and heightens the sense of unease. For me this makes the drones one of the creepier adversaries faced by the teams from Earth over the years, their plain and simple dogged pursuit is so unsettling.

Comment

Another ep of SGU...

1. Let's face it...Rush was an absolute bleep here. Yes Park should have bailed out earlier but ripping he and Eli to shreds like that was uneccersary.

2. Terminus, again, very good effort.

3. What the hell did that guy think he was going to achieve?

sOLID EP...ONE TO GO.
              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

The only thing i can think of that might have made this ep a little better, had we seen a glimps of young in a store with his pack open... dresses to one side, socks to the other. Does he follow through with his 'word' to wray about getting her a new outfit, or does he take the socks, we KNOW he needs??

Comment

Pretty good ep.

Rush seems to be back to being the guy we love to hate.

Those drones are smart for machines.

I like to think Destiny knew the drones were there and that's why it look the long way to the star.

The drones hunting our people through the streets reminded me of something. Not sure what.

This ep had some amazing visuals and music.

The command ship poking through the clouds was very ominous. And reminded me of Thor's Chariot

At least we have a full tank of gas. Followed by a very un enthusiastic yay.

Now for the final ep
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
                    Pretty good ep.

Rush seems to be back to being the guy we love to hate.

Those drones are smart for machines.

I like to think Destiny knew the drones were there and that's why it look the long way to the star.

The drones hunting our people through the streets reminded me of something. Not sure what.

This ep had some amazing visuals and music.

The command ship poking through the clouds was very ominous. And reminded me of Thor's Chariot

At least we have a full tank of gas. Followed by a very un enthusiastic yay.

Now for the final ep

That same "Yay" can also be heard in episode 7 in season 2 when they find the empty red ship floating alone.

Comment

I felt so sorry for Park in the dome. I thought she was gonna die.

I hate those drones. But the CGI is pretty cool...

Eli was cool in this one. Also I must mention James... I always wanted her to do something heroic. Like breaking Morrison's nose...

Comment

I would have loved it, if just before Varro and Col young stepped through, they fired off one more LAW rocket at the alien cap ship...
                        Just to say "SUCK IT!"

Comment

That would have been awesome

Comment

Those drones really get around. Who would win in a battle between replicators and drones? Probably replicators because they assimilate not just destroy.

Parks getting her eyes burnt out was sad. She had to try though. Only one episode to go, it was a nice run.

Comment

Personally i think she was pushing her luck staying there as long as she did.

Comment

Working...
                              X