Plot Hole - Drone Activation/Deactivation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
    But how were they supposed to know which ones are defensive batteries and which ones not? Only source of information would've been the Ursini, but they weren't saying more than necessary.
    Not necessarily. Telford was in one of thier stasis pods and gained knowledge of the war that way, so there was definately an oppertunity for him to share some knowledge with Young & Co. About the defensive batteries, I was more talking about the smaller guns on the Destiny herself, not the droneships, I'm not entirely sure what you mean, could you clarify please?

I understand what you see as plot convenience since I agree with it and think the same way. But not about plot holes. As I see it, plot holes are story elements that contradict what's been established before. Unanswered questions not being among them.
    Well Jel sorta beat me to it, but I don't see unanswered questions as plot holes either. If Franklin never came back in any form after vanishing from the chair, that would be a unanswered question, and I'd be fine with that. We see things differently, thats cool
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I suppose it could rest on what you define as a plot hole, and what you define as a plot conveniance. To me, a Plot hole is when something happens or exists for no good reason that can be explained "in story" Taking the drones again, to have small drones does not make sense because IIRC, in the 2 eps involving them, thier size was never brought up. If during a firefight someone turned around to Young and said "Colonel, the defensive batteries can handle the larger ones, but the smaller ones are breaking through", (or something similar) then, this wouldn't be an issue for me at all. That they didn't, makes it more of a plot hole.
      Nah, that doesn't really make sense. There are a number of very plausible theories as to why there are different sized drones, so claiming that they make absolutely no sense in story is nonsensical. Even if some character statement had occurred which explicitly stated that there were two different sizes of drones, I don't see how that can satisfy some condition that suddenly makes the existence of two different sized drones acceptable. If that was all it took, visuals should suffice which I think we saw clearly enough.

Comment

I think if you look at this shot, it shows pretty conclusively that there are, in fact, very small drones in addition to the shuttle-sized ones. Probably for anti-fighter duty or anti-personnel attacks on cities.
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          Plot holes are gaps in reasoning that doesn't explain how the story got from point A and point B. Note this explanation does not apply to unanswered question as long as we know how the story got there.
          Though don't see much of an issue when the viewer can easily think of a logical explanation.

Comment

Whatever happened to filling in the gaps of a good story with imagination, have you been watching your local news so much you need spoon feeding everything about a fictional universe?

How about, fighter class drones, bomber class, corvette class and heavy corvette class, for dealing with different size threats.

As for the distance of operational control, subspace answers that, after destroying the Ursini ships, they left some inactive there incase any rescue or expeditionary force was sent and incase anything else comes along - like landmines.

Enjoy

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
              I think if you look at this shot, it shows pretty conclusively that there are, in fact, very small drones in addition to the shuttle-sized ones. Probably for anti-fighter duty or anti-personnel attacks on cities.
              yup. in fact, there were several threads dedicated to this very thing in the Resurgence sub-folder.

a plot hole is a hole in the plot. something that's missing. a connection between one thing and another. a plot convenience is that something unlikely happens at the right time. the hero getting back just in time, the one person surviving being capable of doing the heroic task, etc. a continuity error is when something contradicts an earlier established fact.

SG1, SGA, SGU have had their plot conveniences. but so far SGU doesn't have gaping plot HOLES. oh and i didn't even mention the "unanswered question" which is just a loose end in the plot and can or can not be tied up

Whatever happened to filling in the gaps of a good story with imagination, have you been watching your local news so much you need spoon feeding everything about a fictional universe?
              i remember when Time aired. lots of people who didn't understand the ending. it couldn't have been much clearer IMO

Comment

Working...
              X