Plot Hole - Drone Activation/Deactivation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plot Hole - Drone Activation/Deactivation

Ok, so Destiny shows up in the graveyard and activates the drones without the command ship being present. Yet when the command ship is destroyed, the drones don't work. What gives? These things aren't capable of any simple logic on their own?

Also, Eli and Rush figure out how to block the subspace signal in a couple of hours. The Ursini on the other hand died out and never were able to come up with a viable tactic. Really? REALLY???

The command ship was present. We just didn't see it in the graveyard of debris.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by SG-1-AU View Post
      Ok, so Destiny shows up in the graveyard and activates the drones without the command ship being present. Yet when the command ship is destroyed, the drones don't work. What gives? These things aren't capable of any simple logic on their own?
      The command ships tell them what to attack.

Also, Eli and Rush figure out how to block the subspace signal in a couple of hours. The Ursini on the other hand died out and never were able to come up with a viable tactic. Really? REALLY???
      Rush and Eli's solution only lasts a few seconds.

Comment

The command ship was out of sublight range but apparently still within its operational radius.
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

the command ship they were out to destroy was the one commanding these drones. since the communication goes via subspace, the range is much greater.

we don't really know HOW great, but certain drones are only linked to certain command ships. this is a design choice. you could let the command ship take control of all drones, but then the upload could've spread. basically, it's a containment method.

it wasn't a viable tactic. it works for seconds. in this case, great, but for the Ursini not. every block would require hours to figure out and each block would only last seconds

Comment

I'm guessing by this point the showrunners were so full of their own self importance plot holes like this didn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck32 View Post
              I'm guessing by this point the showrunners were so full of their own self importance plot holes like this didn't matter.
              Um... wut?

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                Um... wut?
                No no, just ignore it. It wants you to pay attention to it.

HOW 'BOUT THEM YANKEES, EH?
                ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by Buck32 View Post
                  Considering this "plot hole" was answered in the posts before yours I don't see the need for your post.

Comment

Like everyone else said, it wasn't viable for combat with the drones. Unless they had a ship really close which could easily kill a Command Ship, like Destiny, when it was activated it's basically useless. Based on the fact that the original battle seemed short in the simulation, and space is scattered with destroyed Ursini ships; I presume they never could get that close.

Comment

That's essentially why they died out, and why Young was not looking to them for any tactical suggestions. They may also not be particularly good problem solvers. They were on the seed ship for some time, but they needed Telford to actually properly learn how to manipulate its systems.

Comment

I think the original poster was also talking about how they re-programmed the drones to attack the other drones. If you could do that, which apparently was a manipulation of the base code, something that is standard in all drones, why can't you then apply that to ALL of the drones?

This seems to be a point of ignorance on the Ursini, and really makes the drones much less of a threat than they should be. But, maybe I missed something and the drones found a work around. IDK.
                        Save Stargate Resistance and Stargate Worlds, keep a part of the franchise alive! and read our blog

Comment

The only reason they could reprogram the drones is because they uploaded the new code through a drone. The Ursini were too busy dying to catch one.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                            The only reason they could reprogram the drones is because they uploaded the new code through a drone. The Ursini were too busy dying to catch one.
                            Indeed.

In order to reprogram the drones there are a couple of requirements;
                            1) the command ship that they are linked to has to be destroyed, otherwise the drone is impossible to catch, might ignore the change in ID tags you give, or it might not spread to the other drones, those might continue to listen to the command ship.
                            2) You need to catch a drone to directly upload the new codes into it
                            3) You need to crack the machine coding language

The Ursini were unable to survive the drones for more than a few seconds it seemed on the reconstruction simulation of the battle in "resurgence" on the computer, it would've been impossible for them to destroy a command ship.

Without destroying the commandship the Ursini couldn't get any drones because the drones were busy flying around and slaughtering them ( The drone victory in the simulation was so incredibly fast that it just fills you with dread and despair. Poor Ursini.. ).

I have no doubt they could've broken the machine language eventually and reprogram them, but the hard part is getting a drone in.

The destiny crew however managed to destroy the command ship and all the drones stopped functioning. They were still alright and could function but the needed the commandship to identify who their foe was and who their friend. No commandship telling them that, than the drones become inactive. They took a drone inside and reprogrammed it. The destiny crew took the place of the commandship and told the drone who it's friends and foes were. This modification spread to the other drones that were there.
                            The second wave of drones was unaffected because they had their own commandship telling them friend from foe.

The episode was perfectly clear to me, I fail to see how it could have been ambiguous or unclear.

Comment

Originally posted by The Destiny View Post
                              The drone victory in the simulation was so incredibly fast that it just fills you with dread and despair. Poor Ursini.
                              That simulation wasn't of the battle, it was of spacial drift. I doubt the Ursini lost in mere seconds, though they lost all the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X