Destiny is better off without a crew...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    Its a deal provided you do my work for me.
    Fine... if you don't mind failing because all I'll do is correct the grammar
    sigpic

Comment

You have to create the content before the grammar can be corrected
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        You have to create the content before the grammar can be corrected
        Then we're back at square one.
        sigpic

Comment

So we've got Kino's and repair bots. Thats enough of crew. No?

Comment

The Ancients are no longer around to take control of Destiny. But the ship was never intended to operate without a crew indefinitely. It is remarkably well preserved considering the passed time since the beginning of its journey. But nonetheless, it accumulated a lot of damage and would have continued to do so if not for the arrival of the people from Icarus Base. In the end, she would have been destroyed or taken over by the Blueberry Aliens and dismantled or whatever, without ever fulfilling her mission. Now that she has a crew, there is at least a chance that someone will figure out the mystery of the background radiation.
            sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Comment

Originally posted by themeatcleaver View Post
              You're kidding me right? Destiny NEEDS a crew. Granted, it needs a better crew, but still, it needs a crew nonetheless. I can tell you why in three words or one SG-1 episode: Torment of Tantalus. What good is having something great if you cant use it or share it? Destiny flying around taking readings and doing its thing by itself without us, while great, is absolutely useless. That ship was sent out there for a reason, to figure out the meaning of existence and give US the answer. Sure, Destiny can fly around for millions more years and probably succeed in gathering all the data it needs but what good is it if that data never gets to us? In the words of Daniel Jackson, "this is meaning of life stuff!"

Now go on, pop in your SG-1 dvd and rewatch Torment of Tantalus with Destiny and its mission in mind THEN come back and tell me we shouldn't be there.
              The data will never get to us if the crew destroy the ship.

Comment

Or the ship destroys the crew

N.C

Comment

The event horizon, err Destiny is highly likely to eat the crew IMO.

I don't know. When they boarded, the ship was not able to sustain life (air). Busted shuttle, holes everywhere, power issues (Rileys first head trauma), and other things. The FTL blew, not really proven that it was James. So 100+ years from now it MIGHT get to the galaxy with the drones. To otherwise dock with the seed ship and be populated by the Orsini who use it for a suicide run.

WITH the crew, it's getting repaired / jerry rigged. It can support life. And grows food now. More real-estate availble that was otherwise lost / venting atmosphere. Water supplies replenished. Libations center ADDED. Recycling systems activated and supplied with waste. Shuttle repaired (slightly), with ultimate a shuttle REPLACED with a NEW one.

And various other HOW would it be "better" off? Taking half a million years (without crew) to traverse galaxies versus a couple months (with crew).

Comment

Get rid of the crew and just chuck Lister, Rimmer, Kryten and the cat on board. Would be an awesome show!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow_7 View Post
                      The event horizon, err Destiny is highly likely to eat the crew IMO.

I don't know. When they boarded, the ship was not able to sustain life (air). Busted shuttle, holes everywhere, power issues (Rileys first head trauma), and other things. The FTL blew, not really proven that it was James. So 100+ years from now it MIGHT get to the galaxy with the drones. To otherwise dock with the seed ship and be populated by the Orsini who use it for a suicide run.

WITH the crew, it's getting repaired / jerry rigged. It can support life. And grows food now. More real-estate availble that was otherwise lost / venting atmosphere. Water supplies replenished. Libations center ADDED. Recycling systems activated and supplied with waste. Shuttle repaired (slightly), with ultimate a shuttle REPLACED with a NEW one.

And various other HOW would it be "better" off? Taking half a million years (without crew) to traverse galaxies versus a couple months (with crew).
                      ^this

without the crew the ship wasn't in great shape and eventually it would have been destroyed. plus if it did run into the blues and didn't have a crew they would have taken it over and did who knows what with it.
                      sigpic

Comment

It was only a matter of time before the blues would've gotten aboard the Destiny.

Stated during the initial assessment of the Destiny you hear that it has been beaten to hell through some battles. The blues were eventually going to break through the shield with the increased amounts of numbers they were bringing in. Only when the Humans got control of the Destiny and started messing around with the jumps did the Blues finally get lost because it wasn't following the path they calculated (wonder if that meant the blues would've followed the Destiny to the final source of the signal, I just picture that).
                        " Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. "
                        - Douglas Noel Adams ( 1952 - 2001 ), So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish

Comment

It is interesting that we seem to have caused some more damage (like last 2 eps), but who knows, maybe our presence will actually be what saves it.

Comment

Maybe it were better off if only Rush would have made it and everyone else would have perished during wormhole travel. Then, Destiny could simulate a full crew of Rush copies and the ship would do quite fine.
                            "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Working...
                            X