Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Tin Man (118)

Default Re: Tin Man (118)

I always like the topic of AI. I can see both view making them better and what to stay who you are. It brings interesting question, so I like it a lot.

Probie

This planet has Humans on it that have been there for over 11,000 years. So when did Ra have them transplanted.

Also does anyone else see a cultural similarity between Harlam, Urgo (same name episode), Calder (Beneath the Surface), the Game Keeper (crazy guy who traps people in virtual reality pods) and the place with the weird light thing? All these cultures seem very related to me, could they all be the Altarians that left the Komtraya joint, in there references of Harlam?

Good episode. Interesting take on AI. 3 out of 5 stars.

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Besta View Post
    All these cultures seem very related to me, could they all be the Altarians that left the Komtraya joint, in there references of Harlam?
    Was it ever confirmed that it was the alterans who left that planet?

Air Force Chief of Staff Britta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Was it ever confirmed that it was the alterans who left that planet?
    Note Altairans, not Alterans (otherwise known as Ancients).

Unless you want to speculate otherwise, given that they appear to predate Goa'uld activity on Earth. Maybe we're not the only life they seeded in this galaxy.
    Sometimes, you come so close to cool, and then cool makes a run for it.
    "BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Major General

True the spelling is off, but i made teh assumption that is what he was getting at.

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

Harlan wasn't left there by the Alterans (ancients), but he's the last remaining synthetic Altairan (inhabitant of the planet Altair, a.k.a. PX3-989).

Somehow I doubt that Urgo, the gamekeeper or Calder had anything to do with Harlan...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg

Great interaction of the two teams at the end of the episode - it was almost obvious that there would be more!

Anja

Staff Sergeant

Great episode and one of the first that dealt with the big push by the SGC to obtain new technology. You always knew RDA was gonna have a great time playing off RDA and it was to be expected. In some ways the tech level really wasn't all that great though. I remember losts of dark scenes and piping and large amounts of steam and tech. I think its more than likely that the original Altairans were like more of the refugees from the Pegasus who decided to try and concentrate on a non Asuran path to AI's.

Still the technology level just didn't seem as high here.

I think creating robots that advanced needs very advanced technology - but one man alone can't handle proper supervision. So pipes and steam indicate that help is needed - and they help to make the audience watch because attention is triggered.
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

Staff Sergeant

Pipes and Steam should the LEVEL of technology, not what the tech was. Look at it this way. Would you see such a corridor on Atlantis or the Asuran homeworld etc? I doubt it.

I think they simply went to a water treatment plant or similar place to film but you ARE right. It did make it look like the whole system was breaking down (however what it does not mention is why Harlan could not simply copy himself, so he could help himself). Harlan even states when he recreated Teal'c he would do it so Teal'c would be better and more like the original, he he must have their recordings stored somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrathraxus View Post
    Pipes and Steam should the LEVEL of technology, not what the tech was. Look at it this way. Would you see such a corridor on Atlantis or the Asuran homeworld etc? I doubt it.

I think they simply went to a water treatment plant or similar place to film but you ARE right. It did make it look like the whole system was breaking down (however what it does not mention is why Harlan could not simply copy himself, so he could help himself). Harlan even states when he recreated Teal'c he would do it so Teal'c would be better and more like the original, he he must have their recordings stored somehow.
    I think he needed the bodies and I doubt that Harlan's original body was still there or intact!
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

Staff Sergeant

I think the original Harlan left.

Comtraya!

If this episode was a drinking game and you had to drink whenever the word "better" was mentioned, you'd be stone-cold drunk by the end of act II (unless you can hold your liquor or you're teetotaller).

I don't think in any of my other viewings did I think Harlan to be quite the annoying character. This time around he really got on my nerves. I was glad the episide was over and done with cause I couldn't have stomached anything more of him.

The concept of the episode is pretty interesting. It's again a low-budget episode, since we've got some big ones coming. Everything taking place in this one location -- an awesome location too. The set designers did a magnificent job on lighting and dressing the place up.

So, Harlan has been alone for 11,000 years and he wants company. He creates SG-1 2.0 and expects them to just accept their new fate. Yeah, I don't think so.

I do love the psychological and philosophical subject of the episode. How would you feel if your consciousness had been transferred to a robot-copy of yourself, and you could live for a lot longer than human lifespans general can give you. However, you can never go back from where you came because you're linked to a powersource? And you never have the pleasantries of eating or drinking because you're a machine.

When Daniel tells Carter that he just realized he could be alive for thousands of years to come, I'm surprised he didn't started laughing hysterically cause is the human brain even capable of accepting such fate?

Truly fascinating concept....

How would you rate SG-1's "Tin Man?"

Excellent
    Good
    Fair
    Poor
    Terrible

While I like the idea of the episodes, the concept of consciousness being transferred into an everlasting body of sorts, is fascinating, I'm not too big of a fan of the episode as a whole. Too much better and comtraya.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1201&dateline=1311771170
    icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

Bringing forth the 3-episode quiz:

Solitudes -- Tin Man -- There But For The Grace Of God

Jigsaw --> Tin Man
    Last edited by Falcon Horus; November 26th, 2017 at 03:05 PM.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1201&dateline=1311771170
    icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

I really hate Harlem. Its why I have never cared for this episode. His one sided mind and the thought that SG1 would like his improvements baffles the mind. I can understand wanting to preserve but don't pretend others will like what you did. I would have like more development on the robot bodies instead of the dead factories. The whole clone robot things was a shocker that came too late. This is a poor.

35 minutes on puzzle. Are you trying to make them harder FH?
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    I can understand wanting to preserve but don't pretend others will like what you did.
    I would say, as the most logical explanation, that perhaps his feelings of wanting company won from the side of his mind that knew it was wrong to do what he did -- maybe that's why he didn't hurt the original bodies in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    35 minutes on puzzle. Are you trying to make them harder FH?
    Yeah... I kinda wanted to try something... it clearly worked. (Or not, depend on how you look at it)

Its obvious he did it out of self-preservation
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

43 minutes and 41 seconds

Probie

I always thought that the white 'blood' they had was a homage to the milk blood Ash had in Alien.