Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tin Man (118)

Lieutenant Colonel captain jake's Avatar

Default Re: Tin Man (118)

GREAT! mission I loved the entire thing very entertaining.

i have got to agree with you their

Second Lieutenant

A question that includes spoilers for season's 9 and 10:

Spoiler:
    Harlan's race is listed on several sites as being the Altairansand claims to be VERY old. Given the state of their technology and the age of the race, is it not possible that these Altairans might be the remnants of one of the first groups of Alterrans (Ancients) that made their way to our galaxy?

Airman

Quote Originally Posted by QuiGonJohn View Post
    1. I read the entire thread and never got an answer to this from Leanna's early post:
    The real O'Neill adresses Harlan as Harlan when he wakes. However, he has not previously met/seen/known of Harlan.

this is another great episode from the great first season of the great tv show stargate sg-1 the end is confusing i still don't know what's going on in this episode

Chief Master Sergeant Harlan's Speechwriter's Avatar

Hi everyone,

I'm new, both to the forum and to Stargate. I've only seen the original movie and Season 1 of the series so far, but I'm hooked. Unfortunately I don't get Sky, but I was introduced to the series by my best mate, known to you all as Chaka's Mum, who has very kindly been lending me her DVDs.

I enjoyed Tin Man, because there is so much in it to think about. Harlan is sweet, well meaning and, obviously, desperately lonely. Clearly, he also has a brilliant (if slightly crazy) mind. But of course it's so sad that the 'robotic' SG1 team will now be condemned to Harlan's existence and that the first 'copy' of Teal'c had to be destroyed.

Must admit though that I looked away the first time when 'robot' O'Neil started cutting his arm open and still cringe at that bit.
    Last edited by Harlan's Speechwriter; March 17th, 2007 at 01:58 PM.
    Please don't laugh, this is one of my first attempts at a banner.

Quote Originally Posted by Selmak View Post
    I meant annoy me in a good way ... I like both of them.
    I know what you mean. Harlan has the same 'irritatingness' as Urgo, though perhaps not quite to the same degree! Could anyone be more annoying (in a fun way) than Urgo?

As Harlan's Speechwriter said (greetings, by the way - did I hear someone taking my name in vain?) Harlan is quite sweet - in an almost childlike way. He's not acting out of malice - but hasn't quite thought the whole thing through.

The resolution of this storyline is also pretty neat. But that's going into spoiler territory so I'm going to shut up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka's_Mum View Post
    Harlan is quite sweet - in an almost childlike way. He's not acting out of malice - but hasn't quite thought the whole thing through.
    Harlan's almost like a child with a chemistry set - mixing things together and only realising the consequences after the big bang.

Sad I know, but I loved O'Neil's attempt at Harlan's greeting; Combya instead of Comtrya. Brings back memories of what felt like hours singing 'Kum by ah' in a round at school.

Uncertain Re: Tin Man (118)

Am I the only one to feel horribly annoyed about a single thing in this episode?
    Why, oh why would they bury the gate? It makes no sense, it's stupid, it's ridiculous, it defies all sense.

Here's a civilization more advanced than Earth, with a power source dangling from the roof (not to mention the damn thing has been working (nearly) flawlessly for at least 11 millenia. And the ability to build Androids, how can you give that up? A disintegration ray?

So much they could use against the Goa'Ould!

Or is it just me?

Note: Yes, I was so annoyed I searched for the forum and created this account to complain....

Major General

I found that kind of strange too. YES it was wrong of harlan to 'capture them, and copy them' without their ok, but when you are alone with little hope, somtimes you do desperate things. And i also feel we could have benefited more from his stuff.

Here we have highly advanced technology, and Harlan is willing to share it. Yet the SGC never takes up the offer!?
    But it is a bit sad that (at this point in time) they have these superb android bodies, but they can't go anywhere to make use of it. And they have to give up everything about their former lives (friends, home, job etc)

Too bad they didn't send Machello to this place.

Major General

Oooo... That was an interesting thought that MIGHT have made a difference... perhaps if they had the ability back then, to put someonein 'stasis' they could have done so with michaello before he passed, and it would have lasted long enough for them to get him to Harlans planet.

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Oooo... That was an interesting thought that MIGHT have made a difference... perhaps if they had the ability back then, to put someonein 'stasis' they could have done so with michaello before he passed, and it would have lasted long enough for them to get him to Harlans planet.
    Harlan may be misguided and thoughtless, but he's a sweet guy. I don't think he deserves to get stuck with Machello. Machello would probably bully him.

Major General

True.. But who knows what other gou;ald killing tech he could have come up with. Heck what about the rest of his stuff we got... Other than that one ep where those bodies were found in that one chamber, we never heard of them again..

Teal'c Re: Tin Man (118)

I like this one! very cool sci-fi. WOnder if we will see more of thier doubles in the future.

Captain Team SG-1*save the show*'s Avatar
    off world formerly Burton on trent,england

Quote Originally Posted by Theimmortaljedi View Post
    I like this one! very cool sci-fi. WOnder if we will see more of thier doubles in the future.
    Have you only just started watching stargate?

I have put some info in spoilers so you can look at it if you choose.

Spoiler:
    Yes we do see them again in season 4. The episode is called double jeopardy
    See link below

http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s4/421.shtml - episode guide

I was wondering the same myself, about the SGC just leaving that technology behind. Then again, I viewed Harlan's Lab as more trouble than it was worth. I mean, the size of that place was just. . .overwhelming. The technology was having maintenance problems (and with the doubles around, that should go along more smoothly).

Anyway, the machinery in Harlan's lab reminded me of tales my dad would tell me from when he was in the Air Force way back in the day. He was a computer tech in the Personnel department. He worked with IBM computers that took up entire gymnasium sized rooms and it took entire days just to print out simple lists of information. Plus they were always breaking down or in need of repair. Point is, Harlan's technology did something utterly fascinating, but at what cost? Was it energy efficient? Stable? How much time would it take to fix every single problem? Maybe in the end, it just didn't seem worth it to pursue.

Plus, I thought they buried the gate because the doubles knew the transmission codes to get back? Since they had the knowledge of the Earth Stargate and such, it was just standard operating procedure to bury the gate?
    Come to the dark side. We have cookies.

Major General

One thing i do wonder is why they never though to use it more effectively.. EG let harlan copy dozens of the SGC personnel, so he would have a whole gamyt of people to use to keep the place up, and the SGC would have access to his tech..

I loved this episode. I think it was Daniel that said "we are all machines", although I can't quite remember the exact quote. It brought up the question of what it is to be human. This episode dealt with the morality of bringing someone into a world not of their choosing, which, even if it wasn't explicitly the point of the episode, is an issue that we will continue to deal with for a very long time.

That's what I love about sci-fi, and most particularly Stargate. Parallels can always be drawn

I would also like to know how the characters of the robotic SG-1 changed during their time with Harlan. Did Sam and Jack's relationship grow in the same direction as our Sam and Jack's? Did their lack of military status change the fate of their relationship? Did the new robot of Teal'c feel empowered by the loss of his symbiote? Did he consider it freedom from the goa'uld? or a new enslavement?

Spoiler:
    I wonder if Harlan's people had anything to do with Reece's people? Surely, more than one race in the galaxy can build machines, but it would be interesting if Reece was created with the help of one of Harlan's people who had left the planet

Major General

On your spoiler part, i doubt it as the level of tech of harlans planet seemed a lot more primitive from what we saw for reece.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast