Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Destiny have made it without the sacrifice ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe they weren't destroyed. They didn't show the ship being destroyed just on the radar. Maybe they powered down again.

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
      It was a means for the writers to eliminate the seeder ship so that it could not be used by the crew of Destiny.

regards,
      G.
      This is the one and only answer. This is also why destiny got cancelled, Poor writing.

Comment

Originally posted by Eterno View Post
        Maybe they weren't destroyed. They didn't show the ship being destroyed just on the radar. Maybe they powered down again.
        Could be. But for a few seconds there, it was visible how much was the seed ship taking damage.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by morsu View Post
          This is the one and only answer. This is also why destiny got cancelled, Poor writing.
          I got cancelled?! They cancelled me?!

It's not poor writing, it's viewers not tuning in. Or at least.. people with those nielson boxes not tuning in.

They could've made the sacrifice far more worthwhile quite easily though, I'll give you that. If the seedship had been shown a bit longer, or if they at least cam very close to the commandship but were destroyed just moments before reaching it ( maybe scoring a handful of hits with it's weapons ) it would've seemed a lot less like a way to get rid of the Ursini and seedship and more a noble but ultimately fruitless sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by The Destiny View Post

It's not poor writing, it's viewers not tuning in. Or at least.. people with those nielson boxes not tuning in.

They could've made the sacrifice far more worthwhile quite easily though, I'll give you that. If the seedship had been shown a bit longer, or if they at least cam very close to the commandship but were destroyed just moments before reaching it ( maybe scoring a handful of hits with it's weapons ) it would've seemed a lot less like a way to get rid of the Ursini and seedship and more a noble but ultimately fruitless sacrifice.

...and viewers with nelson boxes not tuning in could be caused by poor writing you know...

sometimes it is poor writing especially when they just use certain events/story lines to get what they want in the show and then making it so obvious or not doing it in a logical way which is annoying . Like taking out the seed ship just to remove the chance of the crew dialing Earth? First of all even if they had the seed ship theres no guarantee they could dial earth. Also having the seed ship would have made it a heck of a lot more interesting. I for one would have loved to see them investigate it.

or having the reamaining drones not be deactivated by the Ursini/Seed Ship explosion just so they could make use of Rush and Eli's program to deactivate them instead so their work wasn't in vain. When we all know that destroying the command ship deactivates the drones automatically. Honestly this last scene was nonsensical.

Comment

Originally posted by The Destiny View Post
              Yep. Sure did. Pack your bags and get out already!

(^.^)
              sigpic
              ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

For me, the Ursinis had nothing to lose. At this moment, they knew they were the last of their kind, maybe what, 20 or 30 on the seedship, so they can't even rebuild their civilization. So I can understand their sacrifice, to saving time for Destiny's crew, who they have endangered after all.
                That being said, it is also a convenient way to get rid of the seedship. But like someone else said, I find it strange that we haven't seen the explosion of the seedship directly, especially in this episode full of wonderful special effects...

Comment

What the ursini were thinking: who knows?

From the writers perspective, aside from removing the seed ship from the equation: the point of the Ursini/seed ship trying to ram the mothership was that it drew enough drones from Destiny so that various systems could have the time to come back on line.

regards,
                  G.
                  Go for Marty...

Comment

The Ursini never seemed to me like they would be in for the long haul (limited story opportunities, expensive CGI...) so I didn't expect to have them hanging around after this. That said, their suicide run was heartbreaking because, if we take them at face value, it was an act of contrition and of desperation. If anything else, why send the apology to Destiny?

I don't have a problem with letting in-show events stay in-show, though
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erotavlas View Post
                      ...and viewers with nelson boxes not tuning in could be caused by poor writing you know...

or having the reamaining drones not be deactivated by the Ursini/Seed Ship explosion just so they could make use of Rush and Eli's program to deactivate them instead so their work wasn't in vain. When we all know that destroying the command ship deactivates the drones automatically. Honestly this last scene was nonsensical.
                      Maybe you should watch the episode again. The ursini suicide run did not destroy the second command ship which is why the second lot of drones were still active. It wasn't in vain because they did draw fire away from Destiny buying Rush and Eli time to re-program the first set of drones, which bought more time allowing the crew to get shield coverage back and jump to FTL.

This was all VERY clearly laid out in the episode and is not a plot hole or bad writing.
                      Last edited by kudra; 12 March 2011, 01:49 PM.

Comment

It wasn't to buy time to re-program the drones, it was to get full shield coverage back up.

Comment

For me, the Ursinis had nothing to lose. At this moment, they knew they were the last of their kind, maybe what, 20 or 30 on the seedship, so they can't even rebuild their civilization. So I can understand their sacrifice, to saving time for Destiny's crew, who they have endangered after all.
                          That being said, it is also a convenient way to get rid of the seedship. But like someone else said, I find it strange that we haven't seen the explosion of the seedship directly, especially in this episode full of wonderful special effects...
                          This, how many times have the members of flagship SG teams exhausted all possible opportunities and went to give their lives it was all that was left?

So, some aliens do it, they DONT survive and people still ***** about it, like when whomever was willing to make the sacrifice survived due to some 11th hour miracle?

N.C

Comment

I do hope they at least go back and revisit it.. say show a "deleted scene" on the season 2 DVD showing it go up.

Comment

Working...
                            X