Favorite and least-favorite Star Trek story arcs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite and least-favorite Star Trek story arcs

Having seen a significant portion of Star Trek episodes (All of Next Gen. and 6 1/2 season voyager and a season of enterprise) I already have favorite episode arcs.

Favorite:
    Borg - love them, despite their predictability they are great
    Time travel -particularly those where they end up in the 19/20/21 centuries

Least favorite:
    Anything Klingon - possible the worst race ever conceived, really difficult to assume that such a race could have made it out into space
    Spiritual ones - including Vulcan ones, another race i see as being unable to evolve in any form.

What are yours?

Favorites:
    The Dominion
    The Prophets & Pah-wraiths
    The Xindi & Sphere Builders
    The Klingon Civil War
    Temporal paradoxes that don't involve a reset button

Least favorite:
    Stories that resort to a reset button
    sigpic

Comment

Can't stand the Kazon myself. They combined the worst bits of the Klingons and the Ferengi without the sense of honor of either.

I'll get back to you on this.
      sigpic

Comment

Dominion War
        Cardassian Conflict
        Andorian\Vulcan Conflict
        Q (running through many Trek series)
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
          Favorites:
          The Dominion
          The Prophets & Pah-wraiths
          The Xindi & Sphere Builders
          The Klingon Civil War
          Temporal paradoxes that don't involve a reset button

Least favorite:
          Stories that resort to a reset button
          Originally posted by maneth View Post
          Can't stand the Kazon myself. They combined the worst bits of the Klingons and the Ferengi without the sense of honor of either.

I'll get back to you on this.
          These pretty much describe my answers. I also didn't like the Vidiians.
          "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
          - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

The Xindi and sphere builders
            Prophets and particularly Pah-wraiths
            Enterprise Vulcans
            The Dominion, particularly Odo's relationship to the changelings.
            The Augments arc (DS9, ENT)
            The Cardassia-Bajor conflict

Dislikes:
            Most holodeck stories, seriously overused in the early seasons of TNG.
            The Kazon
            The Vidiians
            The Q Continuum
            Voyager Borg
            Time-travel stories, with one huge exception: The City on the Edge of Forever
            sigpic

Comment

I dislike every and all thing Ferengi and love every and all thing Dominion related
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Oh, I also enjoy the alternate reality episodes. Those and time travel episodes are my favorites.
                "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
                - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

The AU episodes I love, but I only like time travel into the future, with the above mentioned exception...
                  sigpic

Comment

Another favorite arc I forgot to add: The Vulcan Reformation. Along with the Xindi & the Sphere Builders, this story line is my absolute favorite on Enterprise. It's not just compelling from a broader perspective but from a personal one as well. It culminates in a wonderful character moment between Phlox and T'Pol in the episode "Daedalus":

T'Pol: The Kir'Shara is having an enormous impact.
                    Phlox: It's clearly had an impact on you. You... seem more certain of yourself.
                    T'Pol: I've never felt less certain.
                    Phlox: You're re-examining your core beliefs. That's something most people never do.
                    sigpic

Comment

Indeed. I must admit to a certain ambivalence about T'Pol. She was mainly a great character but I can't say I liked the addiction story arc at all...
                      sigpic

Comment

Indeed. I must admit to a certain ambivalence about T'Pol. She was mainly a great character but I can't say I liked the addiction story arc at all...
                        I was not fond of the addiction story line. Though it did at tension to the Xindi arc, I think it wasn't necessary to do that to her. I think the producers tried to smooth that over with her helping to find the Kir'Shara and embracing what the true teachings of Surak were. This part I did like because it reaffirmed what she was supposed to be and the true direction of Vulcans in general.

By the way, congratulations on getting to 4,000 posts.
                        Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 04 March 2011, 03:36 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks

It's odd that while I really like both Bashir's augment story in DS9 and the Arik Soong augments story in ENT, I really, really can't stand Khan at all. I must surely be the only person in this Trek forum who admits to preferring Nemesis over TWOK!
                          sigpic

Comment

Only watched Next Generation and Enterprise (up to date!) but the Xindi and Spheres Arc was for me the best story of Star Trek yet...
                            still have to watch DS9 and VOY in its whole...
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                              I was not fond of the addiction story line. Though it did at tension to the Xindi arc, I think it wasn't necessary to do that to her. I think the producers tried to smooth that over with her helping to find the Kir'Shara and embracing what the true teachings of Surak were. This part I did like because it reaffirmed what she was supposed to be and the true direction of Vulcans in general.
                              In case either of you is unaware, one of the proposed storylines for the Season 5 that didn't happen was to reveal that T'Pol's father was actually a Romulan agent who'd infiltrated Vulcan on a long-term mission. Hence her greater susceptibility to emotions and willingness to experiment with them.
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                              X