Stargate Origins Game(Remake)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Origins Game(Remake)

I'm unsure as to whether this is the proper place to be posting, but considering this is the fandom section, this should fall under it. I'm new to this site, and so If anything I say past this is wrong for this section or against the rules, please tell me.

In the past, there used to be a cool stargate-origins game online that was browser-based and had an interactive console with a stargate and a DHD, very similar to the stargate dialing simulators many people have made on the web. For some reason the game was shut down and as far as I know the creators were never heard of again(I can't find any material on the original game). It was always speculated that the game was made using cgi or php, mixed with some form of java or flash for the interactive features.

I'm in search of programmers interested in this browser-based game format. I've already worked on a buggy, yet functional version of the simulator in flash(similar to the AISNsim). I'm actually working on an alpha version of my game idea now. My plans are to keep to the original game ideas from stargate-origins, where it will be Real-Time-Strategy(RTS-style) and will be extremely similar to Ogame(another online browser RTS).

Also, I would like to find out the bounds of the Stargate Copyright franchise. In the simplest terms, I would like to know how much I can mimic without breaching copyright. I've seen Gate Wars(another browser game) get away with using the Gate Wars title(not directly saying "Star"-Gate Wars) and they've been using other material from the show, such as naming the game currency as naquadah, and using the names of the different races(asgard, goa'uld, etc.). The programmers behind Gate Wars are apparently not breaching copyright bounds, so I'd like to find out what the bounds are.

Perhaps I should have added I already began some small coding work in flash on this. I plan on making a full fledged flash application/movie that can be integrated with other code, such as php, to interact with a database. For now I hope I can safely post the link to my alpha version of the app: http://ugntester.comuf.com/DHD/progress8.html
    If you use the browser google chrome, or have an issue seeing it when it first loads, just resize the page(fullscreen it perhaps, DO NOT REFRESH THE PAGE). The file size is about 2.5mb, so it shouldnt take any longer than 5-10 seconds to load under very slow connection.
    Anyways, I'm learning some php coding fairly fast and learning to integrate the two different programming languages. Anyone that wishes to participate in my alpha version of the game can do so freely and openly, to help me test and debug. Just post a reply to this topic and I will send people a link to the other website I will hosting the alpha game on. Thanks for anyone willing to help out.

Comment

I love the idea, to bad that i dont know coding, but i am reading now so maby i can sometime but not for a copple of years (at least i beleve), althought i do have some friends in IT companies and cold ask about a server, althought you wold not have anny more choice of serverplacement then Norway or Sweden, and i can not promice a good deal.

i do know of a difrent game that have teamselection and machmaking based on stats but the game is not stargate related so i will not post, so pm me for link or i can try and contact the developer for support of maby partial code or hints.

I do know some about copyright, as far sa i know the extent of copyright is profit and premition, so as long as you ask, and inform if you are gonna make profit of anny kind, i wold even inform about volentair donations without reward.

With the exeption that you or annyone helping you made it entyerly your/themself, including image, annimation and sound you are free to use it. you can also check forums and wikies, they usually have an own copyright that you have to accept when you are uploadung a image so then you only have to read that.

But before doing annything i advice you to try and contact MGM and ask them.

I havent tested OGame so i will (sometime) to get your idea better since you are refering to that and not Stargate: Origins i guess its not the same style, or you keep in mind those who never got the chance to test Stargate: Origins

And when you get a working testbuild i wold enjoy beening a tester.

In the meanwhile i will try to find out who was the coder(s) of Stargate: Origins since i never noted name(s) not that i beleve i will have anny luck.

And Proto1001: i love your dhd its awesome and better then the dialing simulators iv seen, hopefully it wold not take to long to make an sg1 veartion so that there is a choice, and also in later veartions it wold need to be able to connect to sql but thats nothing needed to think of now and cold be added later since i expect you to save the source.

RIP 'Stargate: Origins'

If this thread is not dead i have a little mor on my mind but i dont want to waste time on doing one of the things i dislike the most... writing, if no one is seeing or is interested in this

Comment

Working...
      X