This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Sights

I'm planning on heading to BC and Vancouver in the next few months and apart from the usual sights (nature, architectural etc that feature in guide books) are there any Stargate related places that are a must see? I will be visiting Kelowna but I was more thinking of the 'where they filmed this episode' type of thing, if any exist.

Thanks

Originally posted by Kate1013 View Post
    I'm planning on heading to BC and Vancouver in the next few months and apart from the usual sights (nature, architectural etc that feature in guide books) are there any Stargate related places that are a must see? I will be visiting Kelowna but I was more thinking of the 'where they filmed this episode' type of thing, if any exist.

Thanks
    Do a little research on it but I know if i were you i'd be visiting the area where they filmed the faith planet in SGU, which was also, if i remember correctly, the site of kobol's last gleaming in BSG so you'd get a two-fer!

Comment

We could probably include a lot of other tv shows come to think of it! I remember seeing a video about some girl who'd done some tours base around Supernatural, although I don't watch the show, so I wouldn't know how accurate it was (or exciting). I assumed it was someone here on GW who posted the link, as it might lead me to similar things but I can't find it so I'm probably wrong I did find something on Wiki but I thought there must be someone here who's done this already

Comment

I don't know if this is what you have in mind, but here's a link to loads of places throughout SG1:

http://rdanderson.com/

Click on Stargate SG-1 on the left column

Scroll down a bit and on the right side click on "Shooting Locations" under Newest Additions.

You will find pictures of a scene or location from episodes from each season and another picture right next to it showing the location in and around Vancouver, B.C.

There are lots of shows being filmed in Vancouver. One is called "Human Target" and I watched a bunch of episodes and kept thinking "I know where that place is! It was in "....." (SG1 episode). Also, "Fairly Legal", the new series RDA has a recurring role in is filmed in Vancouver, but I haven't actually noticed places I recognize, except that in last week's episode, Jack's cabin was used.

Comment

Thanks that is a great link! I was looking at going to a few of these places beforehand so it kinda fits I thought the pics of Vancouver Art Gallery looked familiar! I just assumed I'd come across it through other means.

Comment

That site was kind of fun to try to find places from. I finally found Sam's house on Google earth. There's actually a big 2 car garage behind the house that goes with that property; for some reason I always assumed there was no garage.

The village that's used for Edora that's shown on RDA's website isn't at the location on the map; or at least, I couldn't find it. I searched all around that area for the town (on google earth), but it might actually be located elsewhere.

I also found Jack's cabin on google earth, and some assorted other places as well. Some day I'd like to revisit the Vancouver area. Last time I was there, though, was back when the World Expo (or whatever it was called) was held there.

Comment

Jack's cabin is the one that would proabably make me get all excited if I saw it but as the majority of them are private residence it's not something I'll visit.

It's a lot easier when it's a place you've never been to though. I get distracted if I see somewhere I know well on TV - especially if its in an area where the show isn't normally shot. I found the London episodes of Bones incredbily hard to watch as a lot of it didn't make geographical sense and they kept sticking chairs and tables in random places along the River Thames to imply bars/cafes that just simply couldn't exist.

I'm glad SG1 was mainly shot 'off world' so that it couldn't bug me this way!

Comment

Originally posted by Kate1013 View Post
                Jack's cabin is the one that would proabably make me get all excited if I saw it but as the majority of them are private residence it's not something I'll visit.

It's a lot easier when it's a place you've never been to though. I get distracted if I see somewhere I know well on TV - especially if its in an area where the show isn't normally shot. I found the London episodes of Bones incredbily hard to watch as a lot of it didn't make geographical sense and they kept sticking chairs and tables in random places along the River Thames to imply bars/cafes that just simply couldn't exist.

I'm glad SG1 was mainly shot 'off world' so that it couldn't bug me this way!
                Hey when are you visiting BC. Maybe I can help you in your search. I live in the North Vancouver area. Where a tone of SG1 and SGA was filmed. I live within walking distance from Jack's house. And know where Jack's cabin and Sam's house are located (have been to both). If we could work it out. Maybe I could be your tour guide for a day or two. I organzied a site seeing trip for our group just prior to the 2009 Creation convention. Did it all on transit since all the sites are transit close. And I didn't loose anyone (thank god).

And yes the RDA site is a awesome place to get ideas from. It was a big help when I was planning the above tour.
                Last edited by AnnieS; 01 March 2011, 12:13 PM.
                MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
                MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
                POLARIS TORONTO 2007
                CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
                GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
                VCON VANCOUVER 2010
                FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

Over the summer last year I went to Vancouver and went to Jack's cabin, the Bloedel Conservatory, and to Tollana - The Tollan's new homeworld - which happens to be a university.

Comment

Thanks for the tips from me too! I'm going to try to see at least a couple sites when I am there next month - although I'll have limited time for that project (obviously I won't get much sleep while I'm in town!). So excited to be going to Vancouver!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                      That site was kind of fun to try to find places from. I finally found Sam's house on Google earth. There's actually a big 2 car garage behind the house that goes with that property; for some reason I always assumed there was no garage.

The village that's used for Edora that's shown on RDA's website isn't at the location on the map; or at least, I couldn't find it. I searched all around that area for the town (on google earth), but it might actually be located elsewhere.

I also found Jack's cabin on google earth, and some assorted other places as well. Some day I'd like to revisit the Vancouver area. Last time I was there, though, was back when the World Expo (or whatever it was called) was held there.
                      'Edora' or Bordertown is not far from where I live. It is a private area so you can't get in from the road that goes up there. However, if you get hold of a canoe you can get from the Alouette river and paddle up the canals amongst the dykes like Jack did and get to the bridge and get in to look around that way. You can see it from areas the public is able to roam but you'll need a good long camera lens!

The 'Faith' and 'Paradise Lost' planet location is in Widgeon Creek, part of the Pitt Lake area, close to where I live too. It is however again on a private nature reserve and is accessible by road from the Coquitlam side of the Pitt River but that is gated off and you can't get through there without a permit. However, you can get there via Grant Narrows Regional Park and hire a canoe, although I think that hire shop may have closed down now. But you can get to the 'Faith' area if you're prepared to paddle up Widgeon Creek from Pitt Lake. However, as some consolation if you can't you can walk a little way towards it and see the lovely scenery around there. Pitt Lake is one of my favourite places to go and chill out. I can see why so many productions go and film up there and call it "Paradise"!

Although the RDA website says 'Jack's Cabin' is private, only the cabin and a small area around it is. It is located in Murdo Fraser Park in N.Vancouver opposite the pitch & putt course parking lot. The cabin is the park keeper's residence. You can walk round via a little bridge into the park which is public land and wander behind the pond 'with no fish!' and see the cabin from there along with the little jetty Sam & Jack sat on fishing.

An update on the location for 'Revisions'. Fantasy Garden World shown on the RDA website is no more. It was sold about 3 years ago to a property developer, and the buildings were demolished last year.

Horizon's restaurant (O'Mally's) in 'Upgrades' had a fire there last year in the kitchen and they've totally refurbished the whole restaurant, including the entrance, so it doesn't look like it did in Stargate anymore.

However, it's still worth visiting Burnaby Mountain on a clear day to see the wonderful views of the city and the Burrard Inlet with mountains from there. You can wander around amongst the totem poles there and then take the 15/20 min walk to Simon Fraser University and see the 'Tollan' home world which is really the university's Convocation Mall.

Most of the locations mentioned on the RDA site are still around you'll be glad to know, and can be visited. Come convention time in Vancouver every year I'm always happy to take people around in my car to places they really want to see if it's possible, although time constraints are always an issue, there's just so much going on for people who come for only a few days. I've lived in Vancouver for just over five years now, and there's still a lot of places I haven't been to yet!

Comment

Aren't most of the "generic" locations (those NOT involving pre-existing structures) gone now? I know they lost the Sand Barrens, and the commentary tracks on later eps make a great deal out of how hard it was getting to do location shoots in and around Vancouver because of all the development. This ultimately led them to build their "villiage" sets on soundstages instead.

Comment

Woohoo! Thanks, Kris, this is going to be fun!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                            Over the summer last year I went to Vancouver and went to Jack's cabin, the Bloedel Conservatoryhttp://www.gateworld.net/sg1/graphics/204_header.jpg, and to Tollana - The Tollan's new homeworld - which happens to be a university.
                            I remember going up to Simon Fraser University (aka Tollana). I got off the bus and ended up having to walk around the entire main part of the school to get to the quad. Well worth it once I got there though. Have done the visit to Jack's cabin (here in North Van twice. On my own and with Stargate friends in 2009) and also went to Bloedel last summer, it was very cool!!!
                            MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
                            MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
                            POLARIS TORONTO 2007
                            VCON VANCOUVER 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Devlin Kyle SG-9 View Post
                              Aren't most of the "generic" locations (those NOT involving pre-existing structures) gone now? I know they lost the Sand Barrens, and the commentary tracks on later eps make a great deal out of how hard it was getting to do location shoots in and around Vancouver because of all the development. This ultimately led them to build their "villiage" sets on soundstages instead.
                              Some stuff is. But alot of places are still there. Actually alot of the building of village sets on the soundstages. Is due to complants about too many BC trees lol!!!
                              MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
                              MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
                              POLARIS TORONTO 2007
                              VCON VANCOUVER 2010

Comment

Working...
                              X