X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radio Times Cover
    Tuesday, 02 October, 2018 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2018/10...mes-cover.html

This week's Radio Times features the Thirteenth Doctor, in the person of Jodie Whittaker, who makes her full debut on screens around the world next Sunday.

It's the second Cover as The Doctor for the actress, who featured on the 21st July edition

Inside Whittaker talks about how nervous she was about playing one of the most intelligent characters on TV, and her hopes that the debate on casting women in traditionally male roles will soon be redundant.
    I truly hope that in a couple of years casting a woman in a traditionally male role won’t be so exciting – because when it’s not celebrated, it will mean it’s no longer unusual to have this sort of parity. I’m always asked, ‘Do you think James Bond should now be a woman?’ But that’s not the conversation. It’s really – ‘Should every point of view be the same?’ And the answer is no. Stories shouldn’t always be told from the same perspective. It’s a mistake to think that the only heroes are white men.

Whittaker says the rock band Coldplay helped inspire her costume.

I really love the use of colour on Coldplay album covers…Which is where the rainbow came in – nothing evokes a sense of hope in me more than hundreds of rainbows!

Doctor Who returns on Sunday 7th October, showing on BBC One at 6.45pm

Radio Times is now on sale in the United Kingdom.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

I saw this on IMDB:
      IMDb TV - The Doctor Through the Years - IMDb

I guess they posted it in preparation for the new season/series.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...e-sexist-1970s

These are now for sale but the fun police are complaining
        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post

I think people just complain about anything anymore. What could possibly be sexist about that doll? It looks great and it is a doll. I might buy 10 just because. I did have to laugh at the first persons comment on that page.

Comment

Personally, I think Jodie should complain. That doll's a very poor likeness.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post

Originally posted by gatechick View Post
              I think people just complain about anything anymore. What could possibly be sexist about that doll? It looks great and it is a doll. I might buy 10 just because. I did have to laugh at the first persons comment on that page.
              Originally posted by BruTak View Post
              Personally, I think Jodie should complain. That doll's a very poor likeness.
              I think the doll is great! They've captured the clothing perfectly! As for it being Jodie...I don't think it is meant to be. I think it's actually supposed to be Barbie cosplaying as Jodie as The Doctor so I can forgive it for not looking like lead actor of our favourite show. It's Barbie playing dress up.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Doctor Who: Thirteenth Doctor #1
                Thursday, 01 November, 2018 - Reported byMarcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2018/11...-doctor-1.html

Next week sees the hotly-anticipated release of the comic Doctor Who: Thirteenth Doctor #1 from Titan

Taking control of the TARDIS for this regeneration is a new team: Eisner-nominated writer Jody Houser (Stranger Things, Mother Panic, Faith, Spider-Man), illustrator Rachael Stott (Doctor Who, Motherlands), and colourist Enrica Angiolini (Warhammer 40,000).

Titan’s new comic series sees the Doctor played by Jodie Whittaker, traveling the cosmos with three brand new friends: Graham (played by Bradley Walsh), Yasmin (Mandip Gill), and Ryan (Tosin Cole).

The comic is released on 7 November 2018

Doctor Who: Thirteenth Doctor #1

Writer: Jody Houser
                Artist: Rachael Stott
                Colourist: Enrica Eren Angiolini

Experience mind-blowing challenges and dynamic adventures through time and space - right alongside the Doctor and her friends!

A new series for a new era on the TARDIS, from a creative team of astounding women - Eisner-nominated writer Jody Houser (Faith, Mother Panic, Star Wars: Rogue One, Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows, Orphan Black), art by Rachael Stott (Doctor Who, Motherlands, Star Trek/Planet of the Apes) and colors from Enrica Angiolini (Shades of Magic)!

Comment

The Paternoster Gang return for Big Finish
                  Monday, 05 November, 2018 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2018/11...n-for-big.html

Audio producer Big Finish is to bring back The Paternoster Gang for a new series of audio adventures

Neve McIntosh, Catrin Stewart and Dan Starkey return as Madame Vastra, Jenny and Strax the Sontaran for their own adventures in The Paternoster Gang – Heritage.

Set during the Victorian London of the Twelfth Doctor’s era, the Paternoster Gang have finally been reunited. The much-loved characters from the Steven Moffat era of Doctor Who will return next year in a new set of audios from Big Finish Productions made in association with BBC Studios.

They’ll be facing the first electronic automated cars in London (very ahead of their time), hordes of zombies, and ghost-like figures which are haunting Greenwich before their former selves have died.

Plus they’ll have to cope with the capers of the Bloomsbury bunch! This intergalactic alien trio, comprising a Sontaran couple and their Silurian female servant, will be causing trouble in London – and this town isn’t big enough for two extraterrestrial gangs.

The first adventure for the Paternoster Gang is being released as part of The 8th of March celebratory box set. Following this, four volumes, each containing three adventures, are coming out in 2019 and 2020, kicking off with volume one, Heritage, being released in April:

• 1.1 The Cars that ate London by Jonathan Morris
                  • 1.2 A Photograph to Remember by Roy Gill
                  • 1.3 The Ghosts of Greenwich by Paul Morris

Dan Starkey, who plays Sontaran butler Strax, told us about the gangs triumphant return
                  Remain calm, human scum! Strax need no longer sulk and polish his grenades! It'll be a pleasure to get the gang back together: Big Finish listeners can be assured that we'll be in full prosthetics and restrictive Victorian tailoring in studio to get right back into the Paternoster Row vibe! Can't wait to get started!

Neve McIntosh, who plays Madame Vastra, says
                  At last our fans will get more adventures with The Paternoster Gang and will find out more about how we came to be!

The Paternoster Gang Volumes 1-4 are available for pre-order now ahead of their release in April 2019, October 2019, March 2020 and October 2020, at £25 on CD or £20 on download each from bigfinish.com and will remain at this price until general release when they will be available for £30 on CD or £25 on download each.

Each box set will consist of three audio adventures plus an additional disc of extras.

Comment

November 14th, 2018
                    Doctor Who Magazine Issue 532

http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite....ine-issue-532/

Comment

Mags returns with the Seventh Doctor for Big Finish
                      Thursday, 22 November, 2018 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2018/11...octor-for.html

Seventh Doctor Sylvester McCoy is joined by Jessica Martin reprising her role of Mags for a new series of audio adventures from Big Finish.

In this trilogy of tales the punk werewolf circus performer, first seen in 1988’s Doctor Who story The Greatest Show in the Galaxy, joins the Seventh Doctor to embark on a positively gothic series of adventures. They’ll encounter werewolves, vampiric creatures and angry mobs of villagers, ticking every hammer-horror convention with a Doctor Who twist.

The Monsters of Gokroth by Matt Fitton will be released in April 2019. An Alien Werewolf in London by Alan Barnes will be released in May 2019, and The Moons of Vulpana by Emma Reeves will follow in June 2019.

Jessica Martin, actress, singer, impressionist and illustrator, who plays Mags, talked about returning to the role on audio:
                      It’s wonderful. I can’t quite believe it, I have to retrospectively thank John Nathan-Turner and Steven Wyatt who wrote The Greatest Show in the Galaxy, which spawned so many wonderful characters. It’s great to be back all these years later.

In today’s society we’re always talking about people who are outsiders, people who suffer with the darkness within… it’s something that everyone can relate to. The wonderful thing about these new stories is that they truly expand the character of Mags.

Jessica Martin has not only returned to the character for these audio adventures, but also has illustrated new comic adventures for Mags, in a new story from Titan Comics, Hill of Beans, written by Richard Dinnick.

Script-editor and writer of many of the Doctor Who audio adventures created by Big Finish, Alan Barnes, told us about bringing back Mags as a fully-fledged companion
                      When we first met Mags the werewolf in The Greatest Show in the Galaxy, she was the travelling companion of another space adventurer, the Captain. She was such an engaging character that it seemed unfair that she didn't go off with the Doctor in the TARDIS at the end, which would have been so 'right', dramatically speaking. It would have opened up some really interesting story possibilities, too: how would it work, having someone who might turn into a savage beast as a companion?

So reuniting Mags with the Doctor was on my 'to do' list for years and years, and I was determined to make it happen before I stopped being script editor of the Main Range. And thankfully, the stars aligned!

Director, Samuel Clemens (making his directorial debut in these releases), tells us more about the stories
                      Each episode is very unique and shines a light on a different horror genre, from werewolves to monsters to vampires! They have all been very different and a real challenge but very exciting to record because the writing is so good.

Jessica stepped straight back into the role she made so memorable thirty years before. She is such great fun and brings a real ease and lightness to the role but underpins it with a darkness that lurks beneath.

Sylvester is always the consummate professional and incredibly fun to be around. He always has lovely little ideas that he slips into the role and his delivery is so unique, playful and beguiling. He always surprises you.Putting the Doctor and Mags back together has been very special and these three adventures explore some universally interesting themes, whilst being fun, dark and ultimately a thrilling ride to go on.

These three Doctor Who Main Range adventures will be available at £14.99 on CD or £12.99 on download on their release in April, May and June 2019, all available from bigfinish.com. All CD purchases unlock a download option via the Big Finish app and the Big Finish website.

Comment

Comment

Didn't have time yesterday sadly, but today will be sitting down with the boys to go back to where it all started, and watch An Unearthly Child - it's an annual thing in my house.
                          back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                          "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                          "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                          and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                            Didn't have time yesterday sadly, but today will be sitting down with the boys to go back to where it all started, and watch An Unearthly Child - it's an annual thing in my house.
                            Watching An Unearthly Child followed by the next three episodes of the first story of Doctor Who is an annual thing every 23rd November in my house too. Then I follow it up with the most recent episode aired which, in this year and at this point in time, was Kerblam!. I do that to show how far this legend of a show has come.

Comment

Billie Piper Back As Rose Tyler for Big Finish
                              Monday, 26 November, 2018 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2018/11...r-for-big.html

Rose Tyler, as played by Billie Piper, is returning for a new Doctor Who audio spin-off, and she’s bringing along her family and friends.

Rose Tyler: The Dimension Cannon,is a new audio series made by Big Finish Productions in association with BBC Studios. It follows Rose’s journey through dying parallel worlds and also stars Camille Coduri as Rose’s mum Jackie, Shaun Dingwall as her dad Pete, Mark Benton as alien investigator Clive Finch and Elli Garnett as Caroline Finch.

Producer David Richardson tells how the series came about.
                              I approached Russell T Davies with the idea of Big Finish making a Rose Tyler spin-off. He was very enthusiastic - as always - and suggested we followed Rose’s journey that ultimately leads to her finding the Doctor in The Stolen Earth. I found the pro-posal irresistible, and instantly script editor Matt Fitton and I were throwing around ideas. There is a whole multiverse of possibilities. Russell suggested including Jackie and Pete, and embraced my idea of including a parallel universe version of Clive - who of course was killed off in the TV series (in the 2005 episode Rose).

Russell guided us gently through the development - steering us towards ideas that worked brilliant-ly, ensuring things that needed improvement were fixed, and also throwing out the ideas that didn’t work. I’m absolutely delighted with what we have - a family drama about the end of worlds. It’s about love and loss and things that might have been - and our brilliant cast have embraced the emo-tional scripts.

What we have is different from previous iterations. It’s rather dark (though never short on wit and charm) but it’s not really about villains. It focuses on the fight to survive against the odds, and on the power of family and love.

The four episodes follow Rose’s mission to seek out the Doctor, the only person who can save the doomed multi-verse.

1. The Endless Night by Jonathan Morris
                              2. The Flood by Lisa McMullin
                              3. Ghost Machines by AK Benedict
                              4. The Last Party on Earth by Matt Fitton

The series has its own distinct tone. Focusing on the era of Russell T Davies, there are no alien threats or villains to defeat. Instead these amazing stories capture and showcase the beautifully rich human characters of Doctor Who.

Billie Piper shared her excitment at returning to the role.
                              I love how normal Rose is, and yet really extraordinary. She lived a normal av-erage life but she is incredibly curious and has an enormous capacity for love and empathy and is really spirited. She is extraordinary.

That’s the great thing about Doctor Who. It challenges new-thinking. It’s progressive and it can be political in amongst these human emotions and relationships. I think that’s its greatest appeal.

From the worlds of Doctor Who, Rose Tyler – The Dimension Cannon will be released in September 2019, available for pre-order now on CD at £25 on CD and £20 on download.

Comment

28th November 2018
                                Doctor Who
                                The Collection Season 18 Blu-ray

http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite....ction-blu-ray/

Available to order from www.amazon.co.uk
                                Also available to order from www.hmv.co.uk and www.zoom.co.uk

BBC Studios announces Tom Baker’s final series as the next instalment in the DOCTOR WHO: THE COLLECTION Blu-ray range

BBC Studios continues to offer Doctor Who fans the opportunity to build their own home archive on Blu-ray. Following the sell-out success of Tom Baker’s debut season, his seventh and final series will be released on 25th February as Doctor Who – The Collection: Season 18.

Tom Baker’s final year saw the programme undergo radical changes in front of the cameras and behind the scenes.
                                Producer John Nathan-Turner revamped the series with new writers, new directors, a new title sequence and theme arrangement, glossy production standards and – throughout the course of the season – a brand new regular cast. Over seven classic adventures the Doctor and his companions encountered the Foamasi, Meglos, the Marshmen, vampires and Tharils, building to a final deadly showdown between the Doctor and his arch nemesis the Master.

As a special bonus this set also includes the 1981 K9 & Company Christmas pilot episode, plus hours of brand new material.

Starring alongside Tom Baker are Lalla Ward as Romana, Matthew Waterhouse as Adric, Sarah Sutton as Nyssa, Janet Fielding as Tegan, Anthony Ainley as the Master, Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah-Jane Smith and John Leeson as K9.

Special Features exclusive to this set include:

• New Making-Of documentary and updated special effects for Logopolis
                                • Revealing new 2019 commentaries moderated by Matthew Sweet (Tom Baker on The Leisure Hive, Lalla Ward & Rachel Davies on State Of Decay)
                                • Surround sound mix for Warriors’ Gate
                                • Rare behind-the-scenes footage from The Leisure Hive, Full Circle and Logopolis
                                • Eight more editions of Behind The Sofa
                                • Brand new documentaries The Writers Room and Weekend With Waterhouse
                                • New interview with K9 & Company’s Ian Sears
                                • Another dip into the Panopticon convention archives with Tom Baker
                                • HD photo galleries plus scripts, production files and rare documentation provided as PDFs
                                • The eight-disc box set also includes hours of extensive special features previously released on DVD.

All material has been remastered for Blu-ray by Peter Crocker and Mark Ayres. Lee Binding has provided stunning packaging and new series writer/content consultant Pete McTighe has written another extensive booklet. Russell Minton is Executive Producer.

Blu-ray trivia: when filming took place for Logopolis (1980), Tom Baker’s last adventure, the intention was to shoot at the University of Manchester’s Jodrell Bank Observatory. Instead, production took place at Crowsley Park with the team using model shots.

For the brand new Blu-ray, almost 40 years later, BBC Studios received permission to film at Jodrell Bank with a drone. Offered as an alternative viewing option, fans will now be able to experience the finished product just as it was originally intended.

DOCTOR WHO: THE COLLECTION – SEASON 18 includes the following stories from 1980/81:

• The Leisure Hive (four episodes)
                                • Meglos (four episodes)
                                • Full Circle (four episodes)
                                • State Of Decay (four episodes);
                                • Warriors’ Gate (four episodes)
                                • The Keeper Of Traken (four episodes)
                                • Logopolis (four episodes)
                                • plus K9 & Company – A Girl’s Best Friend.

RRP: £56.16

Comment

Working...
                                X