Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate Actor Pages at GW - VOLUNTEERS WANTED!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Actor Pages at GW - VOLUNTEERS WANTED!

Hey, gang!

Something new that we'd like to introduce at GateWorld this year is Stargate Actor Pages -- a single page where you can see, at a glance, all the vitals on a Stargate cast member. We're looking for YOUR help in maintaining them. As a little experiment I've put together an example of what I have in mind, for Michael Shanks:

http://www.gateworld.net/wiki/Michael_Shanks

As you can see these pages will live inside the Omnipedia, and I hope to link several of them from the home page to give them some good traffic. It has a brief bio, a list of the actor's current film and television projects, tagged news headlines from GateWorld, trivia, links to all past GW interviews and major forum threads, and more. It's a one-stop shop not only for the latest info about what the person is up to post-Stargate, but also an index of just about everything on GateWorld that features him or her.

We are looking for one superfan of each main cast member from the three shows to be in charge of running that actor's page. The main task is to keep the list of the actor's current projects up-to-date, though you're free to periodically update the bio, add trivia items, etc. as you see fit.

As a bonus (for you, hopefully, and certainly for us), we'd like you to write up the occasional, brief news story for the GateWorld home page when there is something significant to report about the actor's work -- cast in a new project, projects about to air, etc. This is one area where we've been particularly sparse in our news coverage. We hope that we can remedy that with some help from a big fan of RDA, a big fan of Joe Flanigan, a big fan of Amanda, a big fan of Claudia, etc. etc.

For the sake of making a list, here's who we are currently seeking volunteers for:
    Richard Dean Anderson
    Michael Shanks
    Amanda Tapping
    Christopher Judge
    Corin Nemec
    Ben Browder
    Claudia Black
    Beau Bridges
    Joe Flanigan
    Torri Higginson
    David Hewlett
    Rainbow Sun Francks
    Rachel Luttrell
    Jason Momoa
    Paul McGillion
    Robert Picardo
    Jewel Staite
    Robert Carlyle
    Louis Ferreira
    Ming-Na
    Brian J. Smith
    Elyse Levesque
    Alaina Huffman
    Jamil Walker Smith
    David Blue

Basically, we would like to find one person per actor who we can designate an unofficial "actor's rep" to GateWorld. Help us and our readers keep up on what they are doing in life after Stargate!

If you are interested: Please e-mail me at webmaster -at- gateworld -dot- net and introduce yourself. I'm looking to see if you are a good communicator in writing, a grounded and mature fan of the actor you're volunteering to cover, and (sorry, kids) 18 years or older. If we get multiple volunteers for the same page, be aware that I'll probably take your names to that actor's fan thread here in the forum and get 'em to vote on you.

And if anyone who is reading this happens to be the webmaster for the actor's official site, the job is basically yours already if you want it. I think that having you write an occasional news story for GW is a great way to drive traffic back to the actor's site, and it obviously helps us keep our readers current on his or her latest projects. My apologies for not e-mailing you the invitation personally, but we have around 25 main cast members from the three shows at this point ... and it's taken me months to just get this post written! If anyone knows a webmaster and wants to direct them to this post, I would certainly appreciate it.

Rather than busting out 25 of these at the same time (and me having to manage them all as we find people), we'll be launching them one at a time as we find volunteers. If this initial roll-out is successful and people like the actor pages, we may expand the new section to include other Stargate favorites who weren't main cast members -- e.g. Teryl, Kavan, ad infinitum.

Thanks, everyone!
    Last edited by Darren; 23 March 2011, 11:53 AM.
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Not a bad idea, but a little clarification....is this meant to be kind of a full-sentences take on imdb?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

it sounds like a great idea i hope it works out.
      sigpic
      The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        Not a bad idea, but a little clarification....is this meant to be kind of a full-sentences take on imdb?
        Not sure what you mean by that. Look at the example page and you'll see what they will and will not have. Definitely not a full list of the actor's filmography.

Comment

Yeah, this sounds like a great thing to do, rather than having to traipse around Wikipedia or imbd to find what you want, it's simple and clear. I, personally can't do this as I'm not 18 but let the best win!

PS. Once you have all the volunteers and you need us to vote if there are more than one per actor, can you put a link on the news page on the home page so we all know?

Ta, K
          sigpic
          Sig by Yamiinsane, Thanks!
          'It's Nuttier than Squirrel poo' - Amanda Tapping
          : Thats it! Sphere, planet, label, name! : Following, still, you, not!
          I'm not crazy...I just have another consciousness in my brain! So he just looks crazy then?
          Indeed

Comment

I'm still toying with taking one or more of these on--would it be possible to post/amend the list as they're taken? Would help in the consideration process/keep me from doing any unnecessary research
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Yep! I'll start striking out those that are taken in the first post, above.

Comment

Would it be a good idea to post notices in the individual thunk, whump and relationship threads for the actor's characters? I know some people there never venture outside of the C and R folders.
                sigpic

Comment

Better if they stay there, too

Comment

I posted an announcement in all the C&R folders, but for some of these it may come to actually venturing into the threads ...

Comment

Darren, I just fired off an email with a contribution to this. I attached it as a .doc, so I hope it doesn't find its way into your junk folder

Comment

Nagging post!

I know I know, it's only been a day since I sent my submission and you may well have just had a busy day I'm just anxious to tackle more of these before they're taken, but don't want to start on any till I get feedback on the one I sent in

Comment

E-mailed you back. Thanks!

Comment

Got it--appreciated. Sent one back (two, now).

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                              Nagging post!

I know I know, it's only been a day since I sent my submission and you may well have just had a busy day I'm just anxious to tackle more of these before they're taken, but don't want to start on any till I get feedback on the one I sent in
                              It's been a few days for me too. I'm sure Darren is just busy.
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Chicago Con 2010 Attendee

Comment

Working...
                              X