Rome
    Rome: Barbarian Invasion (expansion)
    Rome: Alexander (expansion)
    Medieval II
    Medieval II: Kingdoms (expansion)
    Empire
    Empire: Warpath Campaign (expansion)
    Napoleon
    Napoleon: Peninsular Campaign (expansion)
    Shogun 2

For my part, I came into the franchise at Rome and have been pretty dedicated ever since--even in spite of horribly buggy and poorly optimized releases like Empire.

Vanilla RTW is fun, but I don't think the game really comes into its own unless you run the SPQR mod. Loved BI. Loved Medieval II and Kingdoms, too.

I'm getting a bit tired of sequels/modernizing of older TW titles though. I think the franchise lends itself pretty well to a number of ideas that could make for good new titles. It'd could be pretty cool to see dynastic wars of ancient China, the American Civil War, ancient Greece/city-states, etc etc. They could even license Tolkien and do Middle Earth.

I know some of these have been done via modding, but I can be hopeful for an official product
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I have Medieval Total War I and II And Rome..

Medieval I is still my favourite

Comment

Trouble with that for me was I went back to Medieval after having played a whole lot of M2, so it wasn't as fun for me as it would have been if I'd played it in its own time.

I really loved sending priests/imams into enemy countries to incite unrest
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Medieval had a better map screen setup than the later games.. much easier to understand and move armies around.. and time only moved forward one year at a time..

But sending priests/imams is fun also assassins I trained mine by having them attempt to assassinate each other

Comment

I always trained my assassins by having them knock off untrained foreign captains and opposing powers' priests

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            I always trained my assassins by having them knock off untrained foreign captains and opposing powers' priests
            I did that too.. but sometimes it's easier to have them train on each other instead of chasing priests around the map

Comment

Training on your own guys though, vicious

Comment

Training on your own guys though, vicious
                I send them after my own generals sometimes too, especially if they run away from a fight a few times I've sent them after my own king.. If they succeed then you know you've got a good assassin

Comment

I couldn't get into anything beyond the original Rome for some reason. RTW i could play for weeks and not get bored. I think i've taken over the map with six different countries by now. I'd be down for a modernized version of it!

Comment

I guess it could be the complication. For me at least, TW offers a strategy game experience where I don't need to crunch numbers and am not overwhelmed by the proverbial zerg rush.

Ever since finding the franchise though, I have wanted a Greece game so so badly. I picture the world map as being simply this:
                    Spoiler:

Vast, so it would take quite a while to sail anywhere. At least a dozen city-state nations, battling amongst each other and then being forced to face Persian invasion from the east....

Boy I wish the TW games were easier to mod =\

Comment

I have Rome and Medieval II + empires expansion. (And Empire... but we realized my compy can't play it after we got it. ) I prefer Medieval II, but at the moment I only have Rome available to me
                      Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
                      ---
                      sigpic

Comment

Posted primarily so M6P and I stop derailing certain other threads

A quick refresher on the franchise:
                        Spoiler:
                        Shogun
                        Shogun: Mongol Invasion (expansion)
                        Medieval
                        Medieval: Viking Invasion (expansion)
                        Rome
                        Rome: Barbarian Invasion (expansion)
                        Rome: Alexander (expansion)
                        Medieval II
                        Medieval II: Kingdoms (expansion)
                        Empire
                        Empire: Warpath Campaign (expansion)
                        Napoleon
                        Napoleon: Peninsular Campaign (expansion)
                        Shogun 2

For my part, I came into the franchise at Rome and have been pretty dedicated ever since--even in spite of horribly buggy and poorly optimized releases like Empire.

Vanilla RTW is fun, but I don't think the game really comes into its own unless you run the SPQR mod. Loved BI. Loved Medieval II and Kingdoms, too.

I'm getting a bit tired of sequels/modernizing of older TW titles though. I think the franchise lends itself pretty well to a number of ideas that could make for good new titles. It'd could be pretty cool to see dynastic wars of ancient China, the American Civil War, ancient Greece/city-states, etc etc. They could even license Tolkien and do Middle Earth.

I know some of these have been done via modding, but I can be hopeful for an official product
                        Ah you young whipper snapper, I’ve been playing the series since the original Shogun Total War game. Good times. Looking forward to Shogun 2.

Comment

It just didn't come to my attention till Rome

Comment

I have played some of the Shogun 2 demo, and I do declare it is glorious. The engine seems really well optimised as well, looks better yet runs smoother on my pc than both Empire and Napoleon.

Comment

Good to know. I downloaded it last night but haven't got to playing it yet

Comment

Working...
                              X