Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could the Destiny be one piece of something larger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could the Destiny be one piece of something larger?

I was looking over the design of the Destiny. It's perfectly curved with no pieces that come out from a certain side. Could it be possible that Destiny was designed to fit together with other ships to create kind of a space station type deal. it just looks like the back would fit part of one side of a space station.

All their other ships look completely different, this is the only one that has curved sides, it kind of looks like it could be a flying saucer looking space station. Perhaps they were moving their space station deeper into the universe. Wouldn't it be helpful if you could move it quickly in parts rather than a full singular object.

Am I crazy?

I like the idea. Sending all the parts of a space station in manageable chunks is a neat concept, but what if something happens to one of the pieces on the way? Stolen, blown up etc it would really suck to get there and find your mega-station missing a key part after millions of years.
    I'm A Leaf On The Wind...Watch How I Soar

Comment

From looking at all the caps, i would say no..

Comment

This is from the Vertical FTL thread in this forum.

This I believe is only an artist rendering, as noticed by the FTL generator engine that goes up as-well as the one that goes across the back.

But it seems as though it could fit if you used two designs that were the same. Like a Supergate construction. It would also overcome the issue of having a missing piece. You could just use the designs and build the new identical bit. It would fit anywhere It needed too.

That would save having multiple different designs.

Comment

sounds like the ships in Independence Day. They showed up with massive ships that disassembled into smaller but still massive ships each with their own power. you could very well be on to something

Comment

Well the destiny is shaped like a chevron after all...maybe it really is a chevron and hasn't made it to the site of the largest super gate ever...
            sigpic
            ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Interesting.. In which case, are there more destiny ships? Or were the seeders supposed to help complete this massive UBERgate.

Comment

To me it makes sense for there to be more than one destiny type ship, as there were supposedly multiple seed ships going in different directions. Now as to if they'd all form a massive ship I don't know, what would be it's purpose?

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                  what would be it's purpose?
                  Isn't it obvious? They come together to form a restaurant. At the end of the Universe.
                  sigpic

Comment

you mean something like this?
                    sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

Originally posted by Cmdr. Setsuna F. Seyei View Post
                      you mean something like this?
                      Maybe. But there's no hole in the middle to allow for an event horizon to form (assuming they form a supergate that is).
                      sigpic

Comment

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...ates-they-drop

Its touched up in there, and not multiple Destiny ships, but multiple Seed ships tracking the same single, so sort of UBER triangulation.

N.C

Comment

not a super gate but a pre atlantis city ship

Comment

Originally posted by Cmdr. Setsuna F. Seyei View Post
                            not a super gate but a pre atlantis city ship
                            No offense, but that really wouldn't make any sense at all.

For one, there would have been people aboard if that was their intention, and secondly, they would have just built the city and then launched it as a self-sustaining contained ecosystem.
                            sigpic

Comment

what if they didnt have the tecnological level to do so.
                              you send out several destiny claas ships in the hopes that atleast 6 of them make it to thier final destination. then you dial in and populate the ships. then you call the seeder ships in and repurpose thier machinery to crate a central hub for the destiny class ships to dock with, therein creating a multi part city ship capable of sustaining life and giving you the area you need to be able to study the CBR or building or whatever was stated in SGU

Comment

Working...
                              X