Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working my way through Season 1 - anybody up for discussion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working my way through Season 1 - anybody up for discussion?

I just recently discovered Fringe and I must say I'm liking it more and more as I go along. So I was wondering if anybody here is willing to discuss the beginning stages with me? I'd really like to hear your take on this - if you even remember.

So to start of the discussion - my two cents on the first three episodes.

What drew me into this show was the 'unreal-situations-set-in-a-real-world' premise, that's the basis of all my favorite shows (SG-1/SGA, Spn, 24). Plus the hot guy/insane genius father-son relationship sounded very promising for some unusual family dynamics. I saw one short clip from a S3 episode, and liked Olivia in that one. She's not too ridiculously attractive, and she seemed like a strong female character. I must say she hasn't come across like that in the beginning of S1, but I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt, hoping she will get a little less flaky once the whole situation with her dead (?) BF is resolved.

I love the science- and techno-babble, and Walters un-apropos comments and cravings for random foods. I also like the supporting cast of Broyles, Charlie and Astrid. And of course, Nina Shark is the one I love to hate. They are well fleshed-out individuals without too obvious quirks or hang-ups. Which is good, since Walter has enough of them for the whole cast. On the other hand I find Peter and Olivia a little bland and at times inconsistent in their behavior, but I assume that's the usual positioning of the leads finding their feet in a new series.

The gross factor does nothing for me, and if I had not been hardened to a certain degree by Spn I would never have survived the second episode (which included an accelerated pregnancy with emergency Cesarean, wires inserted into a living person's brains through the nose, and an eyeball being removed from its socket to get a reading from the optical nerve). I must admit that I was fixedly staring at a spot just to the side of the screen for a good part of this episode.

Lots of questions and mystery to keep you watching. What does Massive Dynamics want with John's body, and is he in fact permanently dead? What's behind Broyles and Shark being all chummy? Are they both good, both evil, or one duping the other? Where's the Pattern coming from, and what is its objective? And what is Peter's 'medical condition' Walter seems so concerned about?

sigpic
    Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

When you finish the first season almost all your questions will have already been answered, but a couple more will arise.

Comment

Originally posted by Stargater276 View Post
      When you finish the first season almost all your questions will have already been answered, but a couple more will arise.
      From what I heard about other stuff JJ Abrams has done, that's about par for the course, isn't it? I've never watched any of this other productions, though, so I can approach this with a completely open mind.

104, The Arrival: Talk about upping the ante! Cylinders appearing from and returning to the center of the earth, plus the revelation that there's a guy who's been following events for over 20 years, who has no hair or taste buds, who brought Walter and Peter back to life way back when and who reads people's thoughts? That's really creepy, and it definitely adds a new dimension to the show. Not way can they explain this with some science experiment.

Again, I got a definite '24' vibe, especially during the torture scene. That maybe also because Josh Jackson reminds me a bit of a young Kiefer Sutherland.

I wasn't quite sure what Peter's 'I'm outta here' instance was supposed to add to the story. It's a plot device that's too often used, and it always irks me (obviously a regular in a TV show won't just pack up and leave!), unless there's a damn good reason and a proper solution there (such as Ronon finding his Satedan buddies in Reunion only to be betrayed by them). That wasn't the case here. Peter just came off like a petulant child, only to change his mind after being tortured, which would be a reason to get out. Sp WTF?

They sure know how to keep people watching. Having John Scott suddenly appearing in Olivia's apartment in the very last minute of the episode was a real punch to the gut. I only hope he isn't back to stay, it would be too much of a distraction and would mess with the dynamics of the Walter/Peter/Olivia triangle.

sigpic

Comment

Great show! Yes, those Observers are very important for the overall storyline...

Maybe this site with reviews can help you to make the watching experience even better (they also review SPN )
        http://billiedoux.blogspot.com/2000/01/fringe.html
        Last edited by Andron; 14 February 2011, 12:06 AM.
        sigpic
        My short movie "Red Bag" / The Scifi Guys Podcast / My Twitter account

Comment

Originally posted by Andron View Post
          Great show! Yes, those Observers are very important for the overall storyline...

Maybe this site with reviews can help you to make the watching experience (they also review SPN )
          http://billiedoux.blogspot.com/2000/01/fringe.html
          Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check those out. It's always nice to get somebody else's take on things.

sigpic

Comment

if you're loving the show now, just wait till you get to the back half of season 1/ start season 2!
            sigpic
            Stargate Chicago Con 2010 Attendee

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma626 View Post
              if you're loving the show now, just wait till you get to the back half of season 1/ start season 2!
              Actually, that's where I am right now. I agree, the second half of S1 really picked up on the mythology, which really pulled me into the show, and the last four eps... well, watched those back-to-back last night, just couldn't stop myself. I'm so happy that the main focus of S2 will be an AU storyline, cause I love those.

Leonard Nimoy as William Bell is way cool, and I can't wait to see where the fact that Peter is from the 'Other Side' is going to lead. Anyway, awesome stuff, and I'm so glad I discovered this show. I should probably be caught up with everything in three weeks or so, and looking forward to catching the rest of S3 live.

sigpic

Comment

I just discovered Fringe and my wife and I are currently addicted!!! Currently about half way thru Season 2 and it is amazing.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                  I just discovered Fringe and my wife and I are currently addicted!!! Currently about half way thru Season 2 and it is amazing.
                  That's the point where I felt the show really took off. So if you've liked it this far, be prepared to be blown away by what's to follow. I had been watching maybe an episode per day, sometimes two up to that point, but afterwords I put everything else on hold and just tore through the rest of the aired epidsodes. And man has it been hard once I was caught up to wait a week or more for the next one!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X