And Then There Were None (616)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And Then There Were None (616)

SAMUEL JOINS UP WITH SAM AND DEAN — Sam (Jared Padalecki), Dean (Jensen Ackles) and Bobby (Jim Beaver) set out in search of The Mother of All’s latest monster. While investigating, they run into Samuel (guest star Mitch Pileggi) and Gwen (guest star Jessica Heafey), who are also hunting the creature. Samuel and Bobby get into a heated fight about how to handle the case. Mike Rohl directed the episode written by Bret Matthews.
    Please use the report feature to request the thread to be opened

It's not that I didn't enjoy the last couple of episodes, but it's nice to be back on the myth arc. I was wondering what 'Mother' had been up to. So she's creating new monsters. And this one was a particularly unsavory one.

I liked the tension of not knowing who was currently possessed. And I think all the actors did a great job of keeping us guessing who was currently in the possession of the monster earwig. I also liked the fact of Dean 'cleaning the slate' at the end. It was about time the brothers went back to being just that, minus all the baggage of the past seasons. Although it did feel a bit forced to spell it out like that. Usually relationship issues are dealt with in a more subtle way.

The first half of the episode really felt rushed to me. They just put two and two together way too quickly to be believable, but then there's only 40 odd minutes to tell the story. I think my main complaint is the demise of so many recurring characters. I think it's so much more rewarding to have a familiar face join the hunt rather than getting used to a new character over and over. But it seems there isn't anybody left, except for the different angels. It was a really low blow too to make us think for a moment there that Bobby was dead.

Anyway, action packed episode that had me on the edge of my seat for a good part, and the wait until the show resumes is going to be a looooong one.

sigpic
    Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

hmm so is the title of this episode referring to recurring characters or what?
      I mean was there a point to this episode besides offing people?
      this whole Campbell plot doesn't make any sense to me. they all died like red shirts
      and contributed zero to the story. we haven't even learned why Death restored Sam's soul or anything besides the obvious about the monsters.
      anyway I'm glad to see them go

positive points:
      Bobby and Rufus, Eve

Comment

After last weeks comedic interlude we're back to some serious horror, plot development and emotional stuff.

I know Dean called the nasty little ear creature the Khan worm with a nod to Star Trek but did anyone else think of the X-files? with all that black goo seeping out of the ears. Yuk!

Rufus and Bobby working together as FBI agents...how awesome was that? And didn't they look cool in their suits! I had a big smile on my face. And then when they met up with Sam and Dean...and they had big grins...loved it.

Later when Samuel and Gwen appeared...I felt an icy blast in contrast. The warmth that the hunting four as a family (and as it was pointed out it doesn't mean blood) compared with the coldness of the the other two, who were technically family, (and added to that when soulless Sam was with them he fitted right in...being soulless and all.) but when push comes to shove that doesn't mean diddleysquat.

It took me by surprise when Grandpa came alive when the saw was cutting into his head. Okay maybe I'd shut my eyes briefly at that bit ..so when I opened them I was WTF? I had to laugh at the thought that so many people hated this character so the writers actual had him die twice!!

And the electrocution thing was scary!
        I was worried for Rufus with his pacemaker and Bobby because..well just because. I knew Sam and Dean would take it like the bad-ass hunters they are...and they did.

I think everyone hated to see Rufus die especially as it was Bobby doing the killing!...cause he's a great re-occurring character.
        But how many times do you think he's actually appeared before? Take a guess.
        Spoiler:

4 including this one...that's out of 120 episodes...so it's not like he was around much.

But for us all who liked him, remember... some characters never stay dead!
        I think we could easily see Rufus again.

Bobby and Rufus had some of the funniest lines with:

Rufus: You got a cranial saw in the car?

Bobby: Of course!

Rufus: I've got damned pacemaker.....and I'm down three toes too FYI.

@Stars:
        I also loved Dean's 'wiping the slate clean'... speech at the grave side..yes..maybe it was a bit of a shortcut him saying it...but I know from what I've seen in various quarters that some viewers think plot points are spelled out too much and others don't understand what's going on. The writers can't win on that score...and this Season especially so. I prefer the less is more too but, saying that, in real life people do say these kind of things at funerals because death makes you focus on what's really important, so for me it felt right.
        sigpic

Comment

I didn't particularly like this episode.

Why kill Rufus? Even if this was only his 4th appearance on the show, he was another hunter that we knew and that they could go to.

I didn't even like that they killed Samuel. People may hate him, but I had that love to hate them kind of thing with him. I thought his story had potential, but after they offed Crowley, it did seem finished but I thought there might be more to it. Apparently not. Him coming back alive was a fun scare though. I was half way expecting that.

I did love how Sam shot him so calmly. (Best bit of the episode for me was knowing it wasn't an infected Sam that did it.) I wonder if that is a hint to something developing with his character. Kill him to hide something? Protect Dean? Rather than just an easy way to dispose of a character they didn't want anymore.

Originally posted by LizzieAnne
          I know Dean called the nasty little ear creature the Khan worm with a nod to Star Trek but did anyone else think of the X-files? with all that black goo seeping out of the ears. Yuk!
          I did. Heh. They killed Mr. X and Skinner in the same episode.

Ugh. April 15 till it comes back.
          IMO always implied.

Comment

i hope they name that worm-thing goa'uld and specifically mention sg
            ...this episode seamed amateurish to me. it was the deaths, the number and the quickness of them... didn't seam horrory or dramatic or anything; they just seamed impermanent, turned out the opposite, but it didn't help the episode.
            ...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

I rather liked this episode. It had a little bit of everything I love about this show. A little comedy, some drama, some bad-assery, emotion, all of the above.

I think this was a decent introduction to Mother. Not a whole lot, but we got a glimpse of how she works, and how she feels about the various other sides to this coming "battle". She clearly doesn't like Heaven's side, she doesn't like our side, so it's probably a fair bet she doesn't like Hell's side. I think this could get interesting.

And I'm always happy when Rufus gets in on the action. I love the way he and Bobby work together. And after putting two and two together after the promos were released, I had myself prepared for his death. Still didn't make it any better though. The fact that he was only in 4 other episodes, as Lizzie pointed out, and we still became so attached to him I think is a testament to both the character and the actor. I've always like the network of hunters the boys and Bobby have. I always gathered that most hunters worked alone, but the way the boys work feels like a family-meets-frat-house. It may sound cheesy, but the boys lost their family to the supernatural, but also gained their family through hunting.

And I loved how Dean reacted when he first saw Samuel. I loved how Sam stood up to block him from Dean when they were sitting in the break room. And honestly, I kinda liked how everyone turned against Samuel, even Rufus. And I know I said I didn't like Gwen at the beginning, but she grew on me, and I just knew she was gonna turn against Samuel if given the chance. If you think about it, she probably didn't mean anymore to Samuel as Sam did. The only problem I have is that his death seemed a little rushed. I felt like he was almost another minor baddie this season, and after what he did to the boys, he kinda deserved a different death.

That's another general problem I have with the show. They give us these awesome recurring characters like Rufus, Ellen, Jo, Ash, etc. but they never get to stick around very long. But I guess that's the Hunter's life.

Anyway, I guess these are my highlights:
              -Dean and Sam's reaction to seeing Rufus. It's been awhile since they were genuinely happy.
              -The boys (albeit medically ridiculous) shocking each other.
              -General interaction between Rufus and Bobby. Rocket surgery, cranial skulls, missing toes. I'm gonna miss Rufus
              -Learning that Rufus actually helped Bobby with Karen. That never even crossed my mind before. I like the chain of knowledge that we've seen (Rufus taught Bobby, who passed it to John, who passed it to the boys...)
              -Dean's broad forgiveness. After everything from the past seasons, that felt real to me. Even back when Sam was trying to earn forgiveness after the whole Ruby thing, even if Dean said he was over it, we knew he wasn't. In my opinion, the boys relationship is officially fixed.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post

Why kill Rufus?
                Even if this was only his 4th appearance on the show, he was another hunter that we knew and that they could go to.
                Probably to up the ante....to show how things are getting serious. Like when Ellen and Jo died in Abandon all Hope. Harsh but kind of what happens.

I didn't even like that they killed Samuel. People may hate him, but I had that love to hate them kind of thing with him. I thought his story had potential, but after they offed Crowley, it did seem finished but I thought there might be more to it. Apparently not. Him coming back alive was a fun scare though. I was half way expecting that.

I did love how Sam shot him so calmly. (Best bit of the episode for me was knowing it wasn't an infected Sam that did it.) I wonder if that is a hint to something developing with his character. Kill him to hide something? Protect Dean? Rather than just an easy way to dispose of a character they didn't want anymore.
                I thought it was to show us how Sam was still a capable hunter but unlike Robo!Sam was remorseful and doubted himself until they discovered the worm in his head.

Did he kill Samuel to hide something? I hadn't thought of that! Maybe...you never know!

I did. Heh. They killed Mr. X and Skinner in the same episode.
                So they did!
                sigpic

Comment

Oh SQUICK! with the creature going in people's ears. :shudders: That is one kind of whump that just freaks me out!

I wondered what would have happened to Sam had that thing invaded his head. He's already got the issues with the "don't scratch" wall for his memories.

I did jump when they started to cut into Samuel's head and his eyes opened.

April 15........ugh.

IHS
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by iheartshep View Post
                    I wondered what would have happened to Sam had that thing invaded his head. He's already got the issues with the "don't scratch" wall for his memories.
                    I didn't even think about that. That would have been interesting, considering Dean didn't even want him to hear what he'd done with Samuel.

I did jump when they started to cut into Samuel's head and his eyes opened.
                    I only jumped when his eyes opened, mostly b/c I know that that type of saw can't actually cut flesh. I wonder if 'Samuel' had been awake (?) the whole time and the earwig thing was just pretending, or if it was shocked into a reaction by the saw.

And P.S. apparently that was Jim's voice, unaltered when the boys had him tied up. Nice to know our beloved elder can be so creepy when he wants to.
                    Last edited by warrior_chic; 05 March 2011, 04:53 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

All I could think about was poor old Mitch Pileggi ending up with a 'snake' thing in his head again, electrocuted with a taser first in SGA and electrocuted again and it came out of him here!

I loved the touch with the grave scene at the end after the grizzly electrocution of Bobby. Just as I thought......... Bobby walks into the scene. Aaahh, thank goodness!

Comment

Great episode. I really can't wait to watch this one again, this time with my wife. I can't believe Samuel died like that. Did not see that coming. As for Rufus, I actually felt really bad to see him go. Great character.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by LizzieAnne View Post
                          Rufus and Bobby working together as FBI agents...how awesome was that? And didn't they look cool in their suits! I had a big smile on my face. And then when they met up with Sam and Dean...and they had big grins...loved it.
                          Same here, the way they walked into that cannery together was just awesome. Too bad it had to end like this.

I think everyone hated to see Rufus die especially as it was Bobby doing the killing!...cause he's a great re-occurring character.
                          But how many times do you think he's actually appeared before? Take a guess.
                          Spoiler:

4 including this one...that's out of 120 episodes...so it's not like he was around much.

But for us all who liked him, remember... some characters never stay dead!
                          I think we could easily see Rufus again.
                          Thanks for that bit of info, it really surprised me - and it certainly is a credit to this character that he managed to make such an impact with so few appearances. And as I said before, if they didn't salt and burn his bones as it appeared, I have a feeling this is not the last we've seen of Rufus...

@Stars:
                          I also loved Dean's 'wiping the slate clean'... speech at the grave side..yes..maybe it was a bit of a shortcut him saying it...but I know from what I've seen in various quarters that some viewers think plot points are spelled out too much and others don't understand what's going on. The writers can't win on that score...and this Season especially so. I prefer the less is more too but, saying that, in real life people do say these kind of things at funerals because death makes you focus on what's really important, so for me it felt right.
                          I re-watched the episode with my kids after this, and you're right. I think the scene just took me by surprise the first time round, since I wasn't expecting it. But losing so many people in such a short time, and almost losing Bobby as well was a plausible lead-in for Dean to react this way. So there was a point to all this carnage.

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post

I wonder what's going to happen to that whole operation Samuel had going on. We never found out if Samuel started it or if he just joined an existing Campbell compound. Maybe we find out more when Sam's wall starts to crumble. I mean, Samuel did drop a few juicy hints of future reveals before he died.

Originally posted by warrior_chic View Post
                          I rather liked this episode. It had a little bit of everything I love about this show. A little comedy, some drama, some bad-assery, emotion, all of the above.

I think this was a decent introduction to Mother. Not a whole lot, but we got a glimpse of how she works, and how she feels about the various other sides to this coming "battle". She clearly doesn't like Heaven's side, she doesn't like our side, so it's probably a fair bet she doesn't like Hell's side. I think this could get interesting.
                          Well, we did find out that her goal is taking over the World with her creatures. Not exactly novel, but what else is there, really?

Anybody else think that the fact she calls herself 'Eve' may be meaningful? After all, there's a dangling thread that involves an 'Adam' left to be tied up...

sigpic
                          Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

Originally posted by starg8fans View Post
                            Anybody else think that the fact she calls herself 'Eve' may be meaningful? After all, there's a dangling thread that involves an 'Adam' left to be tied up...
                            Now ya got me thinking... I do want to know what happened/is happening to poor little Adam down there. They've only really mentioned him once.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by warrior_chic View Post
                              down there
                              you think he's in hell?
                              they have mentioned him?
                              ...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

Working...
                              X