Mannequin 3: The Reckoning (614)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mannequin 3: The Reckoning (614)

DEAN RUSHES HOME TO CHECK ON LISA --- Ben (guest star Nicolas Elia) calls Dean (Jensen Ackles) and tells him Lisa (guest star Cindy Sampson) is in trouble. Dean leaves Sam (Jared Padalecki) to investigate a case alone and rushes home to rescue Lisa, however, he’s not prepared for what meets him at the door. Meanwhile, Sam discovers the men that were murdered were all a part of a cruel practical joke played on a female co-worker who went missing. Jeannot Szwarc directed the episode written by Eric Charmelo & Nicole Snyder.
    Please use the report feature to request the thread to be opened

I see the writers who did this ep were relatively new - they've only written one other ep before - and I can see why it was given to them. It was always going to be a bit of a poisoned chalice to finish off the Lisa and Ben arc. Plus they had to incorporate a MOTW story or in this case a ghost story and nothing of the ongoing arc in there either. A thankless task, especially as the last few episodes have been awesome.

But ..saying that.. it was a really surprising twist with the sister having a haunted kidney! and then dying.That I didn't see coming. It tied in beautifully with the whole life sucks theme of the ep.

Plus it was a totally new director as well. I don't know much about directing..well absolutely nothing really...but I liked the look of it. It flowed really well and I think the director loved the Impala as much as Dean. There were some lovely shots of it as well as the guys.

It was good and bad having Sam going off on his own I reckon.
    The good - we get to see him being our Sam again instead of the Robo!Sam...and Sam encouraging Dean to sort out his past.

The bad - I need to see them working the cases together.

Throughout the ep there was a really good amount of brotherly understanding in there from both of them. I'm loving the building back up of their relationship.

And the writers really did do their homework on Dean and Lisa. And whether you like them or not as a couple, I thought their heart to heart was really well done. We kind of knew that it was coming at some point, and it felt realistic and true to their characters. And poor Ben...you have to feel extra sorry for him. I don't think we'll be seeing Lisa and Ben again though...I reckon their story is done.

The idea of Mannequins or dummies coming to life is scary..I don't know why really but it freaks me much more than the ghosts or demons. Weird!

And I really wasn't expecting the guy at the end to have his own doll! either. That was creepy. So naturally he had to die as well.

Pros:

The opening scene was where they left off in Unforgiven with Dean desperately trying to wake Sam. I love that kind of continuity. So many times TV shows don't give us that.

The twist that the girl's kidney was haunted.

Dean's reaction to the Mannequin in the factory!

The suits.... always the suits.

The ending up at Singer's Auto Shop where the boys had their beer and a chat - not exactly on the hood of the Imapla but close! That made me all warm and fuzzy.

Sam: "For what it's worth - I've got your back."

Dean: "I know."

Unlike in Live Free or TwiHard where Dean suspiciously asks Sam if he has his back ....and Sam looked really shifty when he answered. This time they both mean what they say. *sniff*

Cons:

Where did that shard of glass come from that killed the sister at the end?

Sometimes the dialogue was incomprehensible. I'll need a re-watch.

But nothing else really.

Overall I liked it but... it did seem a bit lacking.

Roll on next week.
    Last edited by LizzieAnne; 20 February 2011, 06:35 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Enjoyed the ep except for the seemingly rushed ending. How in the heck did she get impaled by that piece of glass?!?!

They should have just had a simple ending with them suggesting them doing the hoodo and then done that. The End. The could have saved the Impala being possessed for another episode.

I liked the twist of her having the kidney. My thought throughout the episode was that they disposed of the body in the factory and her bits and pieces got processed into the dummies. But then that factory apparently wasn't making mannequins....

Ben and Lisa needed a conclusion. Not that I didn't enjoy that storyline for Dean.

Love the episode title.
      IMO always implied.

Comment

I got really confused because I had a phone call right when the episode was getting interesting!!! In light of who was calling I thought it would be best to answer the call. I missed the whole thing with Sam and the girl having the kidney. Plus how the Impala got possessed!

I do wonder if Sam will have more of those "episodes" like at the beginning of the show. My money is on Yes, and they will be more severe as he goes along.

IHS
        sigpic

Comment

At first I thought that it had to do with pieces of her getting stuck inside the things they made at the factory then after I saw how she died and she said it was with her I immediately yelled kidney! There was just something weird about the whole taking the body parts out dummie in the class room besides it was possessed.
          When they burned her my mom was like yay it's finally over and I had to tell her that it had 20 minutes left and that there was something else of hers left behind.
          And did not expect that piece of class to kill her, it was kind of a cop out since I don't think the impala hit hard enough to cause it to fly far enough to impale her much less go that deep. Didn't really like how they solved it but I liked the body part/kidney thing that happened with it.
          sigpic

Comment

I also liked the kidney thing. With the amount of transplants that take place in this country, I'm kinda surprised they hadn't thought of it before. It was a nice, new twist on the usual (instead of a necklace or hair, etc.)

I'll have to rewatch, but I think it was an overall good episode. I definitely like the way the brothers' relationship is progressing. In fact, I jump on here after just a few minutes to post some 'brotherly moments'.

And I had a feeling early on that Ben would be calling about a new guy. From the way he acted in 'Exile' and even in 'Live Free', he clearly loved Dean. I think it's a pretty natural way to end the Lisa/Ben story. She loved Dean, but she eventually realized that it just couldn't work. And face it, she's still a pretty hot mom. They'd have a hard time logically explaining why she was still single.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by padr49904 View Post
              At first I thought that it had to do with pieces of her getting stuck inside the things they made at the factory then after I saw how she died and she said it was with her I immediately yelled kidney! There was just something weird about the whole taking the body parts out dummie in the class room besides it was possessed.
              When they burned her my mom was like yay it's finally over and I had to tell her that it had 20 minutes left and that there was something else of hers left behind.
              And did not expect that piece of class to kill her, it was kind of a cop out since I don't think the impala hit hard enough to cause it to fly far enough to impale her much less go that deep. Didn't really like how they solved it but I liked the body part/kidney thing that happened with it.
              Not to mention that a person simply dying usually doesn´t solve the problem at all. All organs are dead when a person is gone but not the ghost. That never before "vaporized" until the body and all parts are burned. How would the ghost just disappear into flames simply because the sister breathed her last? The kidney would have to turn into ashes first, right?

I was curious how they would solve that little problem. They kinda didn´t. Maybe the ghost gave up once she saw her own sister getting hurt by her actions. After all, she did apologize to her before she went away. *shrugs*

I liked the 911 from Ben. And Dean´s reaction when the boy asked if he knows he´s walking out on family. Poor guy was really shaken there.

Check out this amazing vid by SGAFan on YouTube Joe IS Rockford!
              picfic craziness against boredom: Col.Sheppard & the nutty whumpers

Comment

I guess that stays my major issue with this episode. The ghost-kidney was a great idea but the resolution was imho badly done. Why did she have that large glass shard in her stomach while everything else broke into nice little security glass grains? And why was Dean undamaged and she - standing several meters away - is deadly wounded? Did she kill herself?

This is pretty annoying, because over all I was positively surprised. I liked the good old times ghost hunt, the EMF, and the salting a big deal. I was also pretty sure that the victim was somehow part of all the murderous mannequins and surprised by the haunted kidney twist.

And the B-story, the closure between Dean, Lisa and Ben was also very moving done. Was I the only one who hoped until the end that Dean would turn the Impala around and try to talk to Lisa again? But I guess the montage was a sure sign that that was the last we saw of them and I am really sad about that, I liked that story a lot.

I kinda wrote this the wrong way around - I normally start with the good stuff and end with my critiques, but this time I'll end with what I think was the best thing of this overall very solid and very "good old times" episode: the first scene and the last scene. I just love how much Dean cares about his brother and how much Sam cares about Dean. The last time they were so close together has been a long, long time ago.
                The cake is a lie!

Comment

Originally posted by iolanda View Post
                  I guess that stays my major issue with this episode. The ghost-kidney was a great idea but the resolution was imho badly done. Why did she have that large glass shard in her stomach while everything else broke into nice little security glass grains? And why was Dean undamaged and she - standing several meters away - is deadly wounded? Did she kill herself?
                  That's interesting, but I don't think that's what happened as I think they would have shown it onscreen rather than leave us to try and guess.

I liked the twist but the resolution was horrible.
                  IMO always implied.

Comment

This was definitely a much better episode than I thought it would be. It had some very strong moments in it. I guess I should never doubt this show.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Dean: "Hey, you leave my baby alone!"

I love Dean's love for the impala.

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                      "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                      a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Working...
                      X