Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My thoughts on the final fate of William Adama.

So obviously the Raptor that Adama and Roslin fly in was never found by any archaeologists. . . . I like to think that old William Adama built that cabin out of respect for Roslin. He spent at the most 20 years living in it, before he piloted that Raptor directly into the sun.

Chief Master Sergeant

Default Re: My thoughts on the final fate of William Adama.

Well, it is one bigggg planet we are on. Take a rock, throw it over your shoulder and dig a hole where it lands. What did you find ? Dirt. I dont think we even know (do we ?) if the area
    where it finally landed upon is even above sea level now. But yes that is one way of getting rid of the evidence, hmmm into the sun, I never thought about him yelling banzai or frakkkk as he heads into the sun.
    Would'nt it rust/deteriorate to the point that the very small pieces would blown about and get buried also ? Speaking of which I never, never saw that ending coming. Chariots of the Gods was not even on my mind at anytime during the series.

i think the only thing we would find is some odd minerals in a random location somewhere on the globe.

Colonel

alternate ending was about group of archeologists finding a Raptor. TPTB chose not to go that way

Quote Originally Posted by g.o.d View Post
    alternate ending was about group of archeologists finding a Raptor. TPTB chose not to go that way
    I would have liked that though!

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

I don't like to think of Adama's ending. It makes me sad.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Second Lieutenant

I don't like the idea that Adama would just leave and never see Lee again. Especially when you consider how close they got towards the end. I understand he was sad, the ship he loved was beat to hell and back and than flown into the sun, the woman he loved dying, but you'd think he'd want to be around the only person he had left.

As for the Raptor, the ship was ment to take a beating in space. Depending on its location in Africa, i think it would still be recognisable as a ship after 150,000 years.

well i do think that the ending of BSG wasn't the perfect one. i would've preferred if we just found a new world -without already existing humans- and just built a city and we create a new Colonial civilisation, especially since this civilisation has the knowledge of past mistakes

Second Lieutenant

Having the show end on some meaningless planet wouldn't have been as dramatic.

but also less of a Deus ex Machina

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    well i do think that the ending of BSG wasn't the perfect one. i would've preferred if we just found a new world -without already existing humans- and just built a city and we create a new Colonial civilisation, especially since this civilisation has the knowledge of past mistakes
    Knowledge of past mistakes wouldn't have made any difference. Since the start we were told "all this has happened before, and it will happen again." The show was always going to end with the beginning of a new cycle.

actually that's kinda how you DO solve past problems. the problem was making Cylons. if they wouldn't make cylons, the cycle would break. especially if everyone would teach their kids that if you design a robot it'll turn on you

actually that's kinda how you DO solve past problems. the problem was making Cylons. if they wouldn't make cylons, the cycle would break. especially if everyone would teach their kids that if you design a robot it'll turn on you
    I think you misunderstood me, I'm not talking about realistic cultural problem solving.

What I said was that from the beginning we were told over and over again "All this has happened before, and it will happen again"
    No matter where the fleet ended up at the end, be it on New Earth or settling some random planet. The narrative of the show was always going to end with the start of a new cycle.

yet the Angels say the cycle is broken?

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by the fifth man View Post
    I don't like to think of Adama's ending. It makes me sad.
    true, I like to think it was in the most honourable and respected way.

perhaps commanding the camp and the natives battle with dinosaurs and victoriously retaring together with his son and grandchildren

Or perhaps his ship jumps (maybe some preset failsafe command that unites the fleet) somewhere to bring him to another battlestar fleet, which he is now commanding to finish off those toasters once and for all and rebuild the colonies

yet the Angels say the cycle is broken?
    The angels aren't all knowing.

The montage at the end showcasing modern-humanity's latest efforts in the field of robotics and AI coupled with the soundtrack of "All along the watch tower" is clearly an indication of the beginning of a new cycle.

The montage at the end showcasing modern-humanity's latest efforts in the field of robotics and AI coupled with the soundtrack of "All along the watch tower" is clearly an indication of the beginning of a new cycle.
    it depends. it might be that, possibly due to the humongous amounts of movies, TV series and books about robots going evil and killing us, humanity will be cautious, hence the breaking of the cycle. the one thing we shouldn't do is make them sentient

it depends. it might be that, possibly due to the humongous amounts of movies, TV series and books about robots going evil and killing us, humanity will be cautious, hence the breaking of the cycle. the one thing we shouldn't do is make them sentient
    We can't speculate as to what fictional stories of sentient machines exist within the BSG "Earth" universe.

Remember the season 4 episode "Revelations"? The last 15 minutes consist of a scene where Adama announces to the fleet that they have finally reached Earth, and we see a montage of the entire fleet celebrating the happy news. Only to have the very next scene be a a wide shot of the main cast looking incredibly depressed as they realize that Earth is a wasteland. That scene is essentially what "Daybreak part 3" is.
    We see 45 minutes of the main cast all celebrating the new settlement and finally having peace, only to have the last 5 minutes reveal that all they managed to do was postpone the cycle by 150,000 years.

Make no mistake, the ending is the beginning of the next cycle.

Make no mistake, the ending is the beginning of the next cycle.
    i think it's open to interpretation. kinda like the writers way of saying "look what happened then, don't make the mistake again"

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

In any case, the ending is interesting, however you decide to look on it. Of course all that stuff about the colonials/cylons interbreeding with the natives and teaching them to talk is bunkum, Homo sapiens had the same senses and basic abilities we do when the species first appeared on this planet. All we have that they didn't is immeasurably more advanced technology.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg