DragonCon 2011 (25th Anniversary!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DragonCon 2011 (25th Anniversary!)

Well, Dragon*Con, finally announced a major Stargate guest (Amanda Tapping) for 2011 so I figured I'd go ahead and make us a new thread.

This years Dragon*Con (September 2-5, 2011 in Atlanta, GA) is it's 25th Anniversary and there are plenty of things in the works to make it one of the best DC's ever.

Stargate always tends to have a good presence at this Con (Jen and the rest of the SGMT do a fab job) and I don't expect it to be any different this time out.

So....anyone out there planning on attending?

*****2011 Dragon*Con Official SGMT Guest List (as of 8/25/2011)*****

Amanda Tapping
    Beau Bridges
    Julie McNiven
    David Blue
    David Nykl
    Pierre Bernard Jr.
    Chris Heyerdahl
    Louis Ferreira
    Patrick Gilmore
    Last edited by off_the_post18; 25 August 2011, 02:10 PM. Reason: Guest List Update
    sigpic

I wish I could... it's even relatively close to where I will be at the time too...
    "The sea is emotion incarnate. It loves, hates, & weeps. It defies all attempts to capture it with words and rejects all shackles. No matter what you say about it, there is always that which you can't."
    -Brom in Eragon

Comment

I am. Comic Con was supposed to be my first con, but because of poor handling of tickets on there but, my friends and I couldn't get any. And I really wanted CC to be my first con. As upset as I was, one of my solid friends who was supposed to help me get to CC, offered to bring me along for DC, and I was delighted.

Two MAJOR questions I have. 1, can you have photos taken with the guests? 2, can you give any of the guests any gifts, small ones?

Comment

IF they invite Corin Nemec and JR Bourne, it would be really hard for me to miss DC. But it is an amazing convention.

Rocky: photos are handled a few ways. There are two professional photos generally - you can buy tickets online before the con (which i'd recommend) or in person when you get there. Alternatively, some do pictures at their tables in the Walk of Fame.

There are others who can explain the how/why but the stargate stars generally are in a different room than the rest of walk of fame and sometimes don't do photos at the table (like with your own camera) - instead you have to purchase a photo from the pro photographer.

I found it very confusing my first year to figure out where to buy tickets in person for photos but I only did a photo with Corin at his table. He wasn't in the 'special stargate' room.

As far as gifts, I think its probably hit/miss. Depends on what it is. I think you'd have to talk to whoever is moderating that room and tell them what it is and if you can give it. But that's the same at any convention.

There's a Livejournal dragoncon community that has a LOT of this kind of information and was very helpful to me last year.

Good luck!

January - San Francisco - Supernatural
        April - Vancouver - Stargate
        June - Nashville - Supernatural
        August - Boston - Supernatural
        August - Chicago - Stargate
        September - Chicago - Star Trek
        October - Chicago - Supernatural
        November - LA - Stargate/Farscape/Eureka-W13-Sanctuary

Coventions in 2012
        March - Burbank - Supernatural

Con reports at : http://adventurecon.blogspot.com

Comment

Already have my tix . Should be a blast!!

Nice to hear Amanda will be there. If only she can drag RDA along!!

we should make a twitter onslaught to the man!!

teehee!!
          sigpic
          SCORE!!
          The Babe's Fave Song Tourney ~ Super Sonic Sixties 66/67 ~ Clickie!!

Comment

Hey All!!

friendly reminder ... DC tix go up in cost after 02-15-2011!

see yah there!!

teehee!!
            sigpic
            SCORE!!
            The Babe's Fave Song Tourney ~ Super Sonic Sixties 66/67 ~ Clickie!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
              Two MAJOR questions I have. 1, can you have photos taken with the guests? 2, can you give any of the guests any gifts, small ones?
              Some are done by a pro & some are take your own at the table. As for gifts, it's better to not as some of the guests don't bother taking them.

Check out the official site and the livejournal blog for more info.

ETA: If anyone is looking for a room there's a livejournal community for peole looking for room-shares or to trade reservations. You don't have to belong to livejournal, as most post their e-mail address. Also xiandesi on livejournal loos for the best hotel deals. She posted a FAQ & hotel review last year.
              Last edited by Fan-e-Gate; 18 February 2011, 05:30 PM. Reason: to add stuff

Comment

I'm going. Got my tix and the hotel reservation. Boy was getting that a pain. It's at the Mariott and it sold out in a few hours the day it went on sale.

Looks like of the 5 host hotels (Westin has been added this year) that only the Westin has rooms available at the con rate. At least the Westin has D-tv this year, unlike last year.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
                  I am. Comic Con was supposed to be my first con, but because of poor handling of tickets on there but, my friends and I couldn't get any. And I really wanted CC to be my first con. As upset as I was, one of my solid friends who was supposed to help me get to CC, offered to bring me along for DC, and I was delighted.

I think it would be a better idea to donate money to Sanctuary for Kids rather than give AT a gift. Generally at her conventions she has a no gift policy.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

They've announced Joe Flanigan as a guest:
                    http://dragoncon.org/dc_guests_list.php

ETA: and Beau Bridges
                    Last edited by Lythisrose; 07 March 2011, 06:46 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

I know this makes me a bad SG fan, but--CHRISTOPHER LLOYD!! AHHH!!! *spazzes*

Doc Brown, how I love you.
                      || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

I wonder if they usually repeat guests in consecutive years. Does anyone who is a dragoncon regular know? I mean for the Stargate track. I know Corin Nemec, Michael Shanks, Ben Browder and others were there last year. Wonder if there was a chance they might be asked back a second year in a row?
                        ______________________________________________________________
                        Conventions in 2011

January - San Francisco - Supernatural
                        August - Boston - Supernatural
                        August - Chicago - Stargate
                        September - Chicago - Star Trek
                        October - Chicago - Supernatural
                        November - LA - Stargate/Farscape/Eureka-W13-Sanctuary

Coventions in 2012
                        March - Burbank - Supernatural

Con reports at : http://adventurecon.blogspot.com

Comment

Sometimes. I guess it really depends on if the guests apply again and get approve by D*C. Both Paul McGillion and Jason Momoa attended last year and 2009. There is possibility they could come back again.
                          SPANKY

Comment

Originally posted by hollie54208 View Post
                            I wonder if they usually repeat guests in consecutive years. Does anyone who is a dragoncon regular know? I mean for the Stargate track. I know Corin Nemec, Michael Shanks, Ben Browder and others were there last year. Wonder if there was a chance they might be asked back a second year in a row?
                            A lot of times D*C will have a guest back 2 years in a row and then take a break from them. Most of it depends on what Track is footing the bill for the actor to attend. If two or three tracks can split the cost of a guest b/c the actor has done a lot of things, it makes it easier for the Con to bring someone back repeatedly. Popularity also plays a factor.

Actors can attend D*C without being "officially" invited...they just have to cover most (if not all) of their costs and I believe (though not certain) pay D*C some sort of fee to be there. Maybe one of the SGMTrack people who come on here can respond and give us a clearer picture of the cost stuff.

Ben attended D*C in 2009 as well as 2010. Michael was supposed to attend in 2009 but dropped out due to filming commitments. David was supposed to come in 2010 but had to drop out at the last minute as well. I can see Corin return again b/c multi-Tracks can split his bill.
                            sigpic

Comment

So, the last night my friend who bought me the ticket, mailed it to me, I got it and I was very excited, and on the back was a sticker with my name on it, but I didn't know I needed it, so I took it off.
                              Spoiler:

My friend told me I need it, but I'm not too sure what that was , so I'm asking the people here who are going what it was? It had my name on it, so is it like a form of ID or something?

Comment

Working...
                              X