Science of Star Trek.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Science of Star Trek.

I did a research paper on "The Influence of Star Trek on Modern Technology" when I was in high-school. I remember finding a website with a lot of the technologies explained in relation to new technologies that have come out over the past few decades. I can't remember what the site was except that IIRC it was sponsored by a university. Does anyone here know what I'm talking about? The citations were lost on the one copy that I still have and I'd like to go through and update it a little.

*EDIT* I already found the link about tricorders here.
    Last edited by J-Whitt Remastered; 03 February 2011, 06:03 PM. Reason: Added the link to the forum post
    "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
    - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

McCoy's disgnostic table served as innovation for the MRI
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      McCoy's disgnostic table served as innovation for the MRI
      Got any sources for that one? That's one I've never heard before.
      "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
      - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Indeed. The Trek communicator has often been claimed as an inspiration for the all but ubiquitous cellphone, but that's doubtful. Just read Space Cadet by Robert A. Heinlein, who describes the technology in detail including the fact that cellphones don't work from orbit (because the system would be unable to decide which mast to lock on to and they don't emit a strong enough signal). The story was published in 1939 and thus predates Trek by nearly 30 years. I'd say, though, that the Trek communicator is more akin to a modern satellite phone.

I'd say that the diagnostic tunnel used by Dr Phlox on Enterprise has certainly been inspired by today's MRI technology.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X