Doctor Who DVD/BD News Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
    I'm holding back ordering that as well for the same reasons. If it's a box set of all the Doctor's regenerations then I don't need it as I have those already (except The Tenth Planet of course).
    Ditto. I'll be mad as hell though if this box set turns out to be the only way to get The Tenth Planet though. The idea of having to re-buy all the other regeneration stories just so I can own this legendary story is not an appealing thought...but I very much doubt it will go like that.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

That would be terrible. It was bad enough having to buy Spearhead From Space again in order to get my hands on Terror of the Autons, but having to to buy all the regenerations again in order to have The Tenth Planet will make me very angry indeed. Surely they can't do that... can they?

Now if they have secretly got The Power of the Daleks and bundle that with The Tenth Planet I think I will cartwheel all down the street.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
        That would be terrible. It was bad enough having to buy Spearhead From Space again in order to get my hands on Terror of the Autons, but having to to buy all the regenerations again in order to have The Tenth Planet will make me very angry indeed. Surely they can't do that... can they?

Now if they have secretly got The Power of the Daleks and bundle that with The Tenth Planet I think I will cartwheel all down the street.
        Well I didn't mind having to re-buy Spearhead from Space again because, being as significant a story as it is, it was packaged with the special features it should have had in the first release. Plus they managed to clear the right issues and restore the Fleetwood Mac song "Oh Well - Part One" back in to the story too so it is now exactly as it was when first broadcast back in 1970.

But back to The Tenth Planet...yes, if they packaged it with The Power of the Daleks audio and the telesnaps then I'll be over the moon.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

OK I'm annoyed. The Regenerations DVD

http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite....eneration-dvd/

Release Date TBC

This appears to be standard releases in a cardboard folding sleeve and aimed at the casual buyer as an introduction to Doctor Who DVD’s and each Doctor in this 50th Year.

We do not think this is aimed at core DVD collectors.

BBC Worldwide have said that this DVD Contains…

The Tenth Planet
          The War Games
          Planet of the Spiders
          Logopolis
          The Caves of Androzani
          Time and The Rani
          The Movie
          Bad Wolf / Parting of the Ways
          The End of Time
          The Tenth Planet had better be released on it's own. And it had better be released at the same time as this DVD.

Comment

The Ice Warriors DVD contents and new animation images revealed

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/ar...ocial_tw_na_na

The contents of The Ice Warriors double-disc DVD release and new images of the re-animated episodes two and three have been revealed.

Disc 1

6x 25 mins approx monochrome episodes with mono audio.
            Commentary - Episodes 1, 4, 5, 6 with actors Frazer Hines, Deborah Watling and Sonny Caldinez, designer Jeremy Davies and grams operator Pat Heigham, moderated by Toby Hadoke.
            Commentary - Episode 2 commentary made up of original archive recordings or readings of text written by Brian Hayles, Derek Martinus, Martin Baugh, Bernard Bresslaw, Peter Barkworth, Wendy Gifford and Sylvia James.
            Commentary - Episode 3 commentary by Patrick Troughton’s son, Michael.
            Programme subtitles.
            Subtitle Production Notes.

Spoiler:

Disc 2

Cold Fusion (dur. 24’ 31”) – Cast and crew look back at the making of the story. With actors Frazer Hines, Deborah Watling and Sonny Caldinez, designer Jeremy Davies and James Bresslaw, son of the late actor Bernard Bresslaw.
            Beneath the Ice (dur. 10’ 31” ) - A look behind the scenes of the animated Ice Warrior episodes. Producers Chris Chapman and Niel Bushnell, together with animation director Chris Chatterton from Qurios lift the lid on the process used to bring Varga and his Warriors back to life.
            VHS Links (dur. 19’ 19” ) – the introduction to the story and linking material covering the two missing episodes, as used on the VHS release of the story in 1998. Includes the BBC Video “Adjust your tracking control” caption for a true sense of nostalgia!
            Blue Peter Design-a-Monster (dur. 10’ 04”) – the competition launch and subsequent winners of the 1967 Design-a-Monster competition, which ran during the transmission of The Ice Warriors.
            Doctor Who Stories – Frazer Hines part two (dur. 13’ 48”) - the second part of this interview with Frazer Hines shot in 2004 for The Story of Doctor Who looks at his later appearances in the series.
            Photo Gallery (dur. 3’ 53”) - production, design and publicity photos from the story.
            Coming Soon (dur. 1 min approx.) - a trailer for a forthcoming DVD release.
            Radio Times Listings in Adobe PDF format.
            Programme subtitles.

Release Dates

Region 1 - TBC
            Region 2 - 26 August 2013
            Region 4 - 28 August 2013
            (Please note: release dates are provisional and subject to change)

Comment

The Mind of Evil: DVD contents and cover revealed

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/ar...ocial_tw_na_na

Starring Jon Pertwee as the Third Doctor, The Mind of Evil will be released, restored to full colour, on DVD in June 2013. Previously released on VHS in black and white, after the colour masters of the story were junked, this DVD release sees all the episodes fully restored and re-mastered.

Synopsis

Professor Keller has created a machine that can pacify even the most dangerous of criminals. But when the Doctor and Jo arrive at Stangmoor Prison for a demonstration, things start to go horribly wrong – especially when they discover that the Doctor’s old enemy the Master is responsible for the machine. What could he possibly want from the criminals? And what connects him with an impending World Peace Conference?

Disc 1 contents

6 x 25 mins approx colour episodes with mono audio.
              Commentary - stereo. With actors Katy Manning, Pik-Sen Lim and Fernanda Marlowe, director Timothy Combe, producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks and stunt arranger Derek Ware. Moderated by Toby Hadoke.
              Programme subtitles.
              Subtitle Production Notes.

Disc 2 contents

The Military Mind (dur. 22’ 43”) – shot back in 2009 on location at Dover Castle, this look at the making of the story is made unexpectedly poignant by the appearance of Nicholas Courtney and Barry Letts, who both passed away in the intervening years. Featuring actors Nicholas Courtney, Pik-Sen Lim and Fernanda Marlow, director Timothy Combe, producer Barry Letts and script editor Terrance Dicks. Narrated by Cameron McEwan.
              Now & Then (dur. 7’ 06”) – the latest in our long-running series visits the filming locations used in the story to see how they have changed over the years.
              Behind the Scenes: Television Centre (dur. 24’ 00”) – back in 1971, at around the time The Mind of Evil was in production, presenter Norman Tozer visited Television Centre to find out what went on over 24 hours in the life of what was then an incredibly busy ‘television factory’.
              Photo Gallery - production, design and publicity photos from the story.
              Coming Soon - a trailer for a forthcoming DVD release.
              Radio Times Listings and the 1971 Kellogs Sugar Smacks promotion in PDF format.

Release dates

Region 1 – 11 June 2013 (US, Canada)
              Region 2 – 3 June 2013 (Europe, Japan, Middle East, South Africa)
              Region 4 – 5 June 2013 (Australia, New Zealand, South and Central America)
              Please note: release dates are provisional and subject to change

Is it just me, or does it look like the Master has just pinched the Doctor's bum.

Comment

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-...-set-48278.htm
                Doctor Who Regeneration Box Set

Comment

DVD Update: Cybermen 'invade' Autumn
                  Thursday, 02 May, 2013 - Reported by Chuck Foster

The latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine (out today) has confirmed that The Moonbase will indeed have its own DVD release on the 21st October. Originally released as part of Lost in Time in 2004, the existing episodes two and four will be accompanied by animated versions of episodes one and three created by Planet 55 Studios, who provided the animated episodes for The Reign of Terror and the forthcoming The Tenth Planet. No other details have been released at present, though a commentary for the story includes special sound composer Brian Hodgson.

After the announcement last week of its inclusion in Doctor Who: Regeneration, the individual release of The Tenth Planet itself has now been announced for 18th November. Unlike the June collection, this release will feature the usual range of extras that accompany the Doctor Who releases as well as the the new Planet 55 Studios animated episode four (one extra being the original reconstruction of episode four made for its VHS release in 2000).

With these announcements, the release schedule for the year in the United Kingdom currently looks like this:
                  6th May The Visitation (Special Edition)

20th May Series 7 Part 2 (DVD/Blu-ray)

27th May Inferno (Special Edition)

27th May Dr Who and the Daleks/Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150AD (DVD/Blu-ray) (Aaru movies, released by Studio Canal)

3rd June The Mind of Evil

24th June Doctor Who: Regeneration (coffee-table book/DVD set of The Tenth Planet, The War Games, Planet of the Spiders, Logopolis, The Caves of Androzani, Time and the Rani, Doctor Who: The Movie, Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways, and The End of Time)

8th July The Monster Collection (individual themed DVDs: Cybermen, Davros, Silurians, Sontarans, The Daleks and The Master)

15th July Spearhead from Space (Blu-ray)

5th August The Green Death (Special Edition)

26th August The Ice Warriors (animated episodes two+three)

16th September Scream of the Shalka

30th September Terror of the Zygons

21st October The Moonbase (animated episodes one+three)

18th November The Tenth Planet (animated episode four)

DWM also reports that the only other currently known surviving episode, the second part of The Underwater Menace, seems likely to be released in 2014, though its presentation currently remains unknown; Frazer Hines indicated in issue 458 that he had recorded a commentary for the episode/story.

Link to original article here: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/05...513093008.html
                  Last edited by Alan; 02 May 2013, 07:10 AM.

Comment

The Daemons' White Witch To Return On DVD

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/05...513062117.html

A drama production featuring Damaris Hayman reprising her role as white witch Olive Hawthorne from Third Doctor story The Daemons is to be released on DVD later this year.

White Witch of Devil's End is a Reeltime Pictures spin-off and, according to producer Keith Barnfather, despite nearing the age of 84 Hayman jumped at the chance of playing the role again.

Hayman herself said:
                    I shall retire, I think, in my coffin! Miss Hawthorne was my all-time favourite role and I was enchanted by the thought of being her again for a little while. After a lot of working together consulting over the scripts I'd subsequently never enjoyed filming more, and I can't wait now to see the final result.
                    Barnfather commented:
                    I was amazed and delighted that, as an octogenarian, Damaris was prepared to take this on. We had recently recorded an interview with her for our Myth Makers series profiling actors who had appeared in Doctor Who and I already knew she still had a hunger to act. But I really didn't expect her to be so keen.
                    Because of her age, the actress knew she had to pace herself, so director Anastasia Stylianou decided to film the drama in a "talking head" style, adding dramatic cutaway material to bring the words to life.

Stylianou said:
                    I knew it would be a challenge. We needed to film a 50-minute drama at least, so I decided to make an asset out of a limitation.
                    Primary filming has already taken place at a cottage near Hayman's home, with the crew collecting and returning her each day. Once back home each evening, she was able to recover and study the next day's script.

Barnfather said:
                    We used autocue to help Damaris. It was an impossible task for any actor to learn so much dialogue. She was a true professional and took to it instantly.
                    A release date of Thursday 31st October - Halloween - is planned, and Stylianou added:
                    It's just getting all the dramatic cutaway material "in the can" that is crucial. The drama is really an anthology – a set of connecting stories about Olive's life told, as it were, in her own words.
                    Barnfather, who contacted pal David J Howe at Telos Publishing when considering who should write the stories, stated:
                    I thought it would be fantastic to ask individual writers knowledgeable in the occult and magic to write each story and David, through Telos, knew so many of the best young talent in the country.
                    Howe and his partner Sam Stone contacted several authors they felt would be sympathetic to the material and got them all on board for the project. Stone, who is an award-winning author, said:
                    I took on the task of outlining the whole story and then asked the writers to come up with ideas which fitted that framework. We needed to tell stories at different points in Olive Hawthorne's life, and the writers rose to the challenge and delivered scripts which exceeded all my expectations. I then worked with them to refine the scripts into the completed screenplay.
                    As well as Howe and Stone, the writers involved in the project are Raven Dane, Debbie Bennett, Jan Edwards, and Suzanne J Barbieri, with a final script polish being applied by Big Finish writer Matt Fitton.

The DVD, which will be region-free, is available to pre-order here http://www.galaxy4.co.uk/product.tht...56&vts=geBkAgQ. Extras are yet to be finalised but will include a "Making Of . . . " feature as well as interviews with the authors.

Comment

The Ice Warriors: original trailer to be included on DVD

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/05...513144508.html

The DVD release of The Ice Warriors is include the the original in-character trailer, with brand new animation. Producer Chris Chapman explained on Twitter:
                      So... the plan is at the moment that the Ice Warriors DVD will include the original 1967 in-character trailer- animated back into existence! We weren't going to do this - didn't think we'd have time, but Chris Chatterton and his team have pulled out all the animated stops! Worth saying though that the Ice Warriors trailer audio is beyond restoration - it's really bad. So we're including subtitles to help!
                      As mentioned, the audio quality of the trailer utilised for the project is in very bad quality, and Chris has asked if anybody owns a copy that they believe is of a good standard that could be used on the DVD to please contact him asap.

The original trailer was broadcast after the final episode of The Abominable Snowmen on 4th November 1967, and featured Peter Barkworth as Clent and Peter Sallis as Penley introducing the situation facing Brittanicus Base.

The BBFC have recently classified various aspects of the DVD release, including the existing four episodes and their commentaries, plus special features (which confirms their running times):

00:10:03:06 BLUE PETER (DOCTOR WHO - THE ICE WARRIORS -
                      DVD EXTRAS - BLUE PETER DESIGN-A-MONSTER)
                      00:03:51:24 THE ICE WARRIORS - PHOTO GALLERY (DVD EXTRA)
                      00:13:46:08 DOCTOR WHO STORIES - FRAZER HINES (DVD EXTRA)
                      00:19:17:23 (DOCTOR WHO - THE ICE WARRIORS - DVD EXTRAS - VHS LINKS)
                      00:24:28:18 COLD FUSION - MAKING THE ICE WARRIORS (DVD EXTRA)

The newly animated version of The Tenth Planet: Episode 4 has also been passed (running time 24m 35s), as has the trailer for Scream of the Shalka.

Comment

Will A Missing Episode Teaser Appear On The Doctor Who: The Terror Of The Zygons DVD?
                        Posted on June 24, 2013 by Rich Johnston

Link to full article here: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/...ho-the-zygons/

Comment

The Fourth Doctor Time Capsule

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/07...ce=twitterfeed

BBC Worldwide have announced the release of a limited edition set to celebrate the Fourth Doctor, as played by Tom Baker. The Fourth Doctor Time Capsule will contain exclusive merchandise and memorabilia:
                          • An Interview with the Time Lord - a newly commissioned interview with Tom Baker.
                          • Terror of the Zygons - an advance "vanilla" release of the restored story, which is due out later in the year.
                          • Fourth Doctor Action Figure - an exclusive post-regenerative Fourth Doctor, wearing Jon Pertwee’s trademark frill-fronted shirt.
                          • Fourth Doctor sonic screwdriver.
                          • Genesis of the Daleks - an audio version of the classic Dalek "origin" story.
                          • Tomb of Valdemar - a novel by Simon Messingham, set during the Doctor’s search for the Key to Time.
                          • Art cards - featuring all the Fourth Doctor’s companions.
                          • A letter from Tom Baker.

The Fourth Doctor Time Capsule is limited to 5000 copies, and is due to be released in the UK only on 29th July.

It can be ordered here - http://www.bbcshop.com/doctor-who/th...r+time+capsule
                          Last edited by Blencathra; 09 July 2013, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Purchased!

That'll be waiting for me when I get back in November! ^_^

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

The Monster Collection DVDs
                              http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-monster...dvds-51433.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                                Nice idea... but missed the opportunity of grouping together all of a certain enemy's stories together... certainly one just intended for getting kids into Classic Who...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X