Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Anubis and the original Stargate classic!!!???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Anubis and the original Stargate classic!!!???

I was recently on the Stargate the Movie IMDB page and looking through the cast and characters. I was shocked when I saw that one of Ra's guards was none other then Anubis? Now, I kind of hope so as a tie in with the SG1 show, but is this the same Anubis from SG1? The guy who played Anubis in the movie was Carlos Lauchu. Please say that this Anubis is the future system lord!! If this has been discussed before, sorry and besides, I could not think of a proper place to post this question. There should be a Stargate the Movie thread as well. Thank you much!!!

Anubis in the series was played by David Palffy (I think that's spelt right), he's the guy who played Sokar a few seasons earlier.

I think you may want to watch the movie, as it clearly points out they aren't the same character.

sigpic

Comment

The Anubis from the movie was one of Ra's guards. Off hand I remember him also having a Horus guard.
      My videos
      My art
      sigpic

Comment

No they called him Anubis because he wore a jackal helmet. he is not the same guy

Comment

Lower-tier actors are recycled all the time because, unless you're a die-hard fan, you're not likely to notice them.

Comment

I concur with the others...it wasn't the same character...
            sigpic

Comment

hey thanks guys, figured as such just was curious.

Comment

Originally posted by mrjafunk View Post
                I was recently on the Stargate the Movie IMDB page and looking through the cast and characters. I was shocked when I saw that one of Ra's guards was none other then Anubis? Now, I kind of hope so as a tie in with the SG1 show, but is this the same Anubis from SG1? The guy who played Anubis in the movie was Carlos Lauchu. Please say that this Anubis is the future system lord!! If this has been discussed before, sorry and besides, I could not think of a proper place to post this question. There should be a Stargate the Movie thread as well. Thank you much!!!
                The movie had no concept of Goa'uld and Jaffa, Ra was the last of his species. Anubis was just a human servant who had taken on the appearance of Anubis. In SG-1, Ra was retconned into a Goa'uld, and it was revealed that he was not the last of his species as the Abydonians (the desert people from the movie) had thought. In the series, Anubis is a partially ascended Goa'uld with no connections to Ra's servant. They have the same name, but that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                  The movie had no concept of Goa'uld and Jaffa, Ra was the last of his species. Anubis was just a human servant who had taken on the appearance of Anubis. In SG-1, Ra was retconned into a Goa'uld, and it was revealed that he was not the last of his species as the Abydonians (the desert people from the movie) had thought. In the series, Anubis is a partially ascended Goa'uld with no connections to Ra's servant. They have the same name, but that's about it.
                  It is reasonable to assume that the Anubis Guard in the film was wearing the armor pattern for the series Anubis' guards when he was originally active as a System Lord.

Comment

Ra was the supreme system lord, and they ganged up on Anubis and killed him (or so they thought) so his Jaffa had to go somewhere, right into service with Ra.
                    Now Horus guards may not be explainable, as Herut was very much alive.

Apophis existence in the series is very much a challenge, as in Egyptian folklore nobody worships Apophis....nobody. Everybody just fears him, accepts it and there's no more discussion on the matter.

Comment

A fun game that you can play is to see how many times an after turns up in different role throughout the franchise. Varro from SGU shows up all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexanderD View Post
                        Varro from SGU shows up all over the place.
                        "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" and "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol" for two recent examples...

Comment

Originally posted by Hellraiser-89 View Post
                          The Anubis from the movie was one of Ra's guards. Off hand I remember him also having a Horus guard.
                          2 Hours and they protect the family of Ra so he probably has some more
                          sigpic
                          Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

In the movie, Anubis was a human guard and was killed by O'Neil. Ra was a humanoid alien (the last of his kind) who could temporarily go into a glowing incorporeal state in order to possess a human host (he tried to go into this ghost-like state in order to escape the nuclear blast and possess a new host, but the process was too slow and he was killed). Ra could also make his helmet/mask vanish into his head/face with the flash of his eyes (unlike his human guards, whose helmets merely retracted one segment at a time into their collars with the push of a button).

Movie-Ra seemed far more "supernatural" than any of the series Goa'uld (with the exception of Anubis, of course). He was a false-god, but he almost seemed like an alien sorcerer or demon (especially when people watch the movie for the first time, before watching or knowing about the TV series).

Comment

The bottom line is, the movie was never intended to be developed into a TV series. The TV producers took liberties to make the concept TV friendly. Any and all discrepancies can be dismissed as such.

Comment

Working...
                              X