This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D Toccs View Post
    I may have a better way to judge the size of Atlantis. As I recall in hat episode where Michael's Hive shows up to make an alliance, we get a pretty nice shot of the Daedalus landing on the pier. If we can make a decent estimate of how long a 304 is, then we can use the shot of Daedalus on the pier in order to estimate the size of Atlantis.
    scaling does NOT work. EVER.

Comment

More of the city explored would be nice.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
        scaling does NOT work. EVER.
        Yeah, I know. The scale is always "whatever the plot needs it to be". It's a shame really, I mean how hard can it be to set a scale for the city when the majority of the series revolves around said city?

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis4Life View Post
          The toilet thing is a great point!!! Jumpers aren't cars, and space isn't exactly like an open road. So, it would make sense to have some kind of toilet. That makes me think of Grace Under Pressure when Rodney was trapped for how ever long. What if McKay needed to relieve himself. Was he just supposed to "let it loose" and then drown in his own you-know-what? That's not good. The Ancients have to be better than that. They just have to be...

I'd hope it'd be better than that, but you just might be right. To think, the Ancients could create a small ship that you can fly with your mind, but you still have to poop in a bag...
          It wouldn't surprise me if they made this really cool ship that can fly around, cloak, etc. & then neglected the important little details, so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post
            I always wished that they explored more of the city.
            Jayne said: "If wishes were horses, we'd all be eatin' steak right now."

Jayne Cobb was right.

And they once mentioned that searching the city for whatever it was they were looking for at the time was like searching every place in Manhattan so I'm going to assume it's big.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Hey all,

Here's an update from the blog. I know they have that at the top of the forum; but since conversations can drift between topics that are all housed under SGA, I figured it might be good to have it here to discuss too.

Originally posted by Joseph Mallozzi's Mailbag
              Catching up with the mailbag:

JeffW writes: “This has probably been asked before; what happens if you walk into the BACKSIDE of a gate with an active wormhole? Disintegration? Or is the field “Bi-directional” (i.e.-it will translate an object from the front or back)?”

Answer: Actually, I have answered this one before. The gate is not bi-directional so anyone walking in through the back of the puddle will step out into the front of the puddle. If they attempt to retrace their steps, they’ll end up traveling through the wormhole. Another similar question I get asked is “What happens if you enter an incoming wormhole?” The answer – You’ll be spat back out at a speed relative to that at which you entered it.

tidusspear08 writes: “It’s my first comment on your blog! Yay! I just wanted to tell you that I’m really glad to see Jelly recovering from surgery.”

Answer: Jelly says thanks. And what took you so long?

Tim Gaffney writes: “Is it completely random who you swap with if more than one person transfers at a time?”

Answer: Nope. Each stone has a specific slot in the device and a counterpart stone and slot on the other side (wherever that “side” may be).

Major D. Davis writes: “We’ve heard a lot about Extinction and SGU, but what about Revolution? Has it been shelved till this whole situation has been sorted out, or is progress still being made with the studio?”

Answer: At present, the focus is on SGU.

DeanGrr writes: “Could Dr. Rush still sacrifice the crew like he did in “Air”, i.e. risk their deaths in pursuit of knowledge, or has he changed a bit?”

Answer: It would appear that he has changed (in fact, they all have) but one wouldn’t know for sure unless Rush was put in that position.

DeanGrr also writes: “It may be off base, but it seems that a group of producers could launch a company, produce a modest internet pilot and then sell, say memberships to a “Wormhole Xtreme club”(bad example?!) and people could buy memberships at $50 or whatever they want to give, until $X million is reached to produce the next few shows: control is then in hands of producers, not as much network/advertisers.”

Answer: Sure, they could – and if this untried longshot method isn’t successful, then they lose whatever money they’ve invested in producing the project.

DeanGrr also writes: “To raise ratings: perhaps, turn a broadcast into an event with a realtime Q&A with an actress or writer(!) from the show.”

Answer: Done. Select cast member live-chatted with the fans during episodes. Made no difference to the ratings.

DearGrr also writes: “Can there be a good marriage between drama and scifi, and go beyond a niche audience?”

Answer: Hard to say. I think a lot of people are predisposed to turn off at the prospect of Science Fiction. Speculative Fiction (shows with less techy or futuristic elements) seems to have more success in bridging that gap.

Chad writes: “I noticed that the CW is running re-runs of SGU…any chance they may pick up the show and give it a third season?”

Answer: Highly unlikely.

fsmn36 writes: “I’ve always wondered why you haven’t been on Iron Chef as a judge.”

Answer: As I told Mark D. – I’m better on paper. That said, you all might think otherwise once Ivon has finished editing together that video of me in Tokyo, consuming four Seven-Eleven chocolate eclairs during a sake outing.

for the love of Beckett writes: “How have you been feeling lately? Have you been able to pinpoint anything as a culprit?”

Answer: Feeling better. I think it was stress-related. As the prospect of that other job got pushed, most of my symptoms magically disappeared. Also, the fact that my doctor – who presumably received the results of my blood tests last week – hasn’t called me up in a panic suggests I’ll be okay.

hal ehlrich writes: “I was wondering how often you eat out per day ?”

Answer: There was a time I used to eat out twice a day. In fact, the only times I ever ate at home was when I ordered in. Nowadays, I’ve been cooking at home. Still, I manage to get out 2-3 times a week.

hvn writes: “While I’m craving for (positive) Stargate news, for now just a food question: have you ever tried Dutch ?”

Answer: Does the Doetch Pancake House count? If so, then yes.

Ian Z. writes: “Here is what I sent Mr. Cohen of MGM as my idea to reduce the cost of SGU to enhance it’s likelihood of survival. What do you think?”

Answer: I think that, while I appreciate the effort, the show’s producers would be in a better position to suggest cost-cutting measures if the show’s budget needed to be reduced.

Josh writes: “Thank you so much for that update on the future of Stargate. I am really glad to hear that things are looking good right now. I was just wondering though if you could maybe give us some more details on what is actually going on with the process?”

Answer: If I was able to offer more details, I would have.

Chris L. writes: “Were the ships of SG1, Atlantis, and SGU all CGI or were their models?”

Answer: They were all CG. There was a model of the Destiny created, but it was designed for show-and-tell purposes in the concept meetings.

Jason967060 writes: “In light of the update you recently gave us about the Stargate franchise (a hurdle being cleared) would you still say that the Atlantis movie is still on hold indefinitely or are things looking up on that front?”

Answer: No movement on the Atlantis movie.

dasNdanger writes: “And that was the end of my dream. I think this is like the third or fourth dream I’ve had about you, Joe. Kinda scary, no???”

Answer: What was I eating? Did I like it?

John R writes: “I have a brief proposal for you that can save the SGU series and add extra revenue for the TV network and yourself.”

Answer: While I appreciate the offer, this is an MGM issue.

Gilder writes: “Do you like your baked cornbread sweet, unsweet, with jalapeños?”

Answer: Sweet. Jalapenos.

BoltBait writes: “Joe, when you write an episode with a musical interlude, do you have to write the words to the song? Or, is that handled by someone else?”

Answer: I script the montage sequence. If we decide to add music, it will either be composed by Joel, we’ll use an existing cue, or the director may suggest an original piece.

Bailey writes: “If you were ever to do a SGA movie, do you think it would be possible to get Jason Momoa to come back as Ronon?”

Answer: Sure. I know Jason enjoyed playing the role.

Rodger writes: “Any idea when we get to see the second half of SGU season two? How about the first ten on dvd?”

Answer: Sorry. No and no.

joan001 writes: “Who exactly has called a halt to SGU and has any reason ever been given… or have I missed something?”

Answer: SyFy, the U.S. network that airs the show, has elected to not pick it up for a third season. With SyFy withdrawing its support for the series, the production finds itself short the licensing fee paid by the network – a not insignificant sum. Without the money to make the series, prep on a third season has been halted.

dasNdanger writes: “1. How are you feeling, Joe?”

Answer: Better.

“2. I know you like sci fi and thrillers, but what genre of books don’t you like?”

Answer: Romance.

“3. Have you ever accidentally walked outside naked?”

Answer: Not that I can recall.

“4. Have you ever grown a beard?”

Answer: Full beard or mustache? No way.

“5. Any word on the comic book front?”

Answer: Early 2012 release date. Paul and I will be breaking issues 3 and 4 next week.

“6. If you had the choice between having dinner with a big-boobied ditzy blonde who just giggled all the time, or with a guy who was an interesting conversationalist, which would you choose?”

Answer: Having dinner? The latter.

“7. What is your personal food staple, the thing you eat on a daily or near-daily basis? (Besides crow. )”

Answer: Chocolate, natch!

Joel413 writes: “Have you ever considered striking out and developing a food show hosted by Jewel Staite?”

Answer: Oh, I like that idea.

Rex Carter writes: “Hi Joe hope this is not spolier for the Atlantis movie script but in Enemy At The Gate did Atlantis drain all 3 zpms fighting off the zpm powered wraith ship and subsequent crash landing on Earh?”

Answer: Hoping to answer all zpm-centered questions in the very near future. And probably not on this blog.

Jason writes: “In the Atlantis episode “The Return”, do you view the arrogant dismissal of humans and the faulty assumption that the Asurans would have never overcome their “shall not kill Lantians” programming a character flaw of the Captain, or was it an overall flaw of the Ancient race which was the real reason they were losing the war?”

Answer: I don’t know if I’d call it a flaw, more hubris on the part of not only the Captain but the race as a whole.

StygianInq writes: “In SGU, where do they get the materials to repair parts of the ship (i.e. the dome room, shuttle, etc)? Is there a source of them on board?”

Answer: For those initial repairs, they cannibalized inessential sections of the ship.

sci451 writes: “Any chance this article “Blind Item: Which Dead Drama Series is Suddenly Showing a Pulse?” over at http://www.tvline.com/2011/01/blind-...owing-a-pulse/ Apply’s to stargate universe?”

Answer: Actually, it’s pretty obvious what show Ausiello is referring to and it aint SGU. The “Something is rotten in the state of Denmark” line is a line from Hamlet, uttered by Marcellus after spotting the ghost of Hamlet’s father walking the ramparts at night. The blind item all makes reference to Tru Calling, another ghost-centered show. The titled of the article: “Which dead drama series suddenly has a pulse?” is also a clue. I’m going with Ghost Whisperer.

Andrew Jung writes: “Oh, btw, what great sandwich place in Gastown are you referring to in the previous post?”

Answer: Meat & Bread.

scott_land writes: “Would you mind briefly walking us through the politics of who owns the future of Stargate Universe?”

Answer: MGM.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...h-the-mailbag/
              I don't agree with the hubris claim for the Ancients in The Return episode because I do believe that during one of the many meetings that O'Neill and Woolsey had with them, they could have and should have been told that the base code was changed.

Also, I wonder why he's being vague about answering all questions about ZPMs and nothing else?? Is he yanking the fans' chains again, or does anyone know what he's talking about???

Comment

Hey all,

Here's an update from the blog. I know they have that at the top of the forum; but since conversations can drift between topics that are all housed under SGA, I figured it might be good to have it here to discuss too.

I don't agree with the hubris claim for the Ancients in The Return episode because I do believe that during one of the many meetings that O'Neill and Woolsey had with them, they could have and should have been told that the base code was changed.

Also, I wonder why he's being vague about answering all questions about ZPMs and nothing else?? Is he yanking the fans' chains again, or does anyone know what he's talking about???
                I doubt he's hiding anything, he only lets us know certain things. If he came out and said 'No, there are no more ZPM's" we would believe it and that would be the end, however chance are we would see/hear about them again.

Comment

Just for fun, was going to watch an episode of SGA tonight, can anyone pick one for me.

Oh, I also owe fumblesmcstupid a Season 5 DVD set. I have it right here, it is the newer U.S. edition.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                    Just for fun, was going to watch an episode of SGA tonight, can anyone pick one for me.

Oh, I also owe fumblesmcstupid a Season 5 DVD set. I have it right here, it is the newer U.S. edition.
                    Critical Mass
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      Critical Mass
                      Sweet! Love that one! See ya later.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                        I doubt he's hiding anything, he only lets us know certain things. If he came out and said 'No, there are no more ZPM's" we would believe it and that would be the end, however chance are we would see/hear about them again.
                        Well, I'm not saying that he's hiding anything because I'm fine with him not giving a complete narrative of what exact information is coming. That's what that information would be about. What I mean is, why doesn't he just say that there's a book on ZPMs coming out or whatever instead of being vague about the source?

You know what? I just thought of it. I think he's trying to promote an episode from that other show that features McKay. That's probably it. There will probably be a couple of lines about ZPMs in that episode and that's probably what he's referring to. At first, I was thinking of something like a Stargate booklet on the technology or something since the SGA movie isn't happening. But, the Mckay episode makes sense now that it's come to mind.

Speaking of watching SGA, if I were to watch something right now it'd be one of the funnier episodes like Echoes or Duet. Critical Mass is nice too. Right now, I'm deep into my DS9 watch/rewatch. For SGA, it's just been reading a few short fan fics here and there lately.

Comment

Speaking of watching SGA, if I were to watch something right now it'd be one of the funnier episodes like Echoes or Duet. Critical Mass is nice too. Right now, I'm deep into my DS9 watch/rewatch. For SGA, it's just been reading a few short fan fics here and there lately.
                          I need to do a complete SGA and SG-1 rewatch. I'll catch a few here and there on Syfy and on my DVD. But have not done a rewatch from Season 1 to the last.
                          sigpic

Comment

I miss Stargate Atlantis.

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                            I need to do a complete SGA and SG-1 rewatch. I'll catch a few here and there on Syfy and on my DVD. But have not done a rewatch from Season 1 to the last.
                            Really? Rewatching SGA is one of my favorite things to do a rewatch of! I need the rest of SG1 though before I can rewatch that. I'm missing seasons 6-9.

Comment

He obviously means that the upcomming crossover SGU/SGA episode will answer the ZPM questions.

Comment

Originally posted by D Toccs
                                He obviously means that the upcomming crossover SGU/SGA episode will answer the ZPM questions.
                                That's what I just said above.

(Also, it's not so "obvious" when he doesn't say what he's talking about...)

Comment

Working...
                                X