Page 1659 of 1671 FirstFirst ... 659115915591609164916561657165816591660166116621669 ... LastLast
Results 33,161 to 33,180 of 33411
    Captain

Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    Friends of convenience don't have binding contracts. They also do not enjoy the same permissions for travelers and border control among many other things. They do not share intelligence, etc.
    I think you have just disproved your own claim that Israel is a "friend of convenience" for the West. Binding contracts? check. Visa-free access to all of the West except the over-the-top-paranoid USA? Right there in my passport. Sharing intelligence? Hell yes.

Cyber security? You mean the biggest threat to all nations in 2019? That's not just any field and again do you actually believe any of those high-profile ''most respected'' guys are free lancers lol?
    He wasn't a freelancer. He was a university professor of computer sciences.

Incite to hate and violence is valid ground for barring someone. Look up any artist wishing specific people dead or asking outright to revolt against a specific nation and take arms and you'll see they all have trouble getting in anywhere.
    Kind of like no Palestinian political activist ever enters the USA?

Tlaib and Omar were part of a banned extremist group? One brief look of that guy's profile on Wiki indicates he was part of the Kach party, here's a brief description:

There you have it, he's an ex-terrorist, he can stay well away from here.
    Omar and Tlaib's trip was being sponsored by several Palestinian organizations, the main one of which is called Miftah, Miftah is a mouthpiece for Palestinian terrorists, and their publications have been known to lionize suicide bombers and to accuse Jews of using Christian babies' blood in Passover rituals. The other sponsor was "Defense of Children International", which is a known front of the PFLP terrorist group. Their itinerary included no time spent in Israel itself, no meeting with Israeli lawmakers etc. There was no reason to assume that the purpose of the visit was anything good.
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Well, generally speaking, I'm less concerned with the "big picture" since I believe that any of the parties or candidates on offer would be able to meaningfully shift anything related to the Palestinians, Iran etc.
    Could or Couldn't?
    I'm reading that like it's missing a word, and that's not like you Womble.
    But things related to immigration policy and religion vs. state have become closer to home for me, so I'm voting for whoever can provide the most powerful counterbalance to the religious parties, and hopefully wrestle the Interior ministry out of their hands.
    Do you think that is possible?
    Israel, for good or bad has so many religious connections, by themselves, or those seeking to use them.
    Could Iran give up theirs, or would you believe it if they did?
    Syria?
    I just don't know if that's a possible outcome Womble.
    Oh, and public transport on Saturdays.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Honestly, most Americans probably didn't even notice Quebec trying to leave Canada. I wonder if Annoyed even knew about it. He's a lot closer to the land of maple syrup and beavers than I am.
    I'm aware of it, but haven't paid a great deal of attention to it. Isn't the primary issue language, French vs. English?

Oh, and they can keep their maple syrup and beavers, as long as they keep sending their beer.

"It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

The US is not part of the EU, it doesn't apply. EU countries signed a pack concerning asylum seekers with each other. The US has no such pack with Mexico. The article says nothing to the effect of what you claim. And haven't we discussed how you should really stop calling me a liberal?
    I was pointing out that in general, under international law, asylum seekers must seek asylum in the first place they arrive at where they are safe from persecution.

And I'll stop calling you a liberal when you stop taking liberal positions, such as favoring open borders & free food, housing, health care, cell phones and whatever else for all comers.

And before you go denying that, tell me your idea for controlling immigration, aside from not controlling it and allowing all comers.

They don't consider Mexico a safe country.
    Of course they don't. They favor open borders, and think the US should pay for everyone.

Why do you think they've deployed the national guard? And how does this impact US law anyway? Mexico not being able to stop them from coming has no bearing on what is legal or illegal.
    A very wise green fellow once said "do or do not, there is no try".
    And Mexico's efforts absolutely have influence upon the US. If they solve the problem before it ever gets here...

That's wrong. Once again, you do not know what you are talking about.
    I don't?

https://www.britannica.com/topic/asylum

Doesn't say much about a trashed economy at home being grounds for asylum.

But...that's not a slippery slope....there's no gradual violation of rights here. Just one direct and sudden move that was abandoned. If anything this means that even if the government tries to take everyone's guns it'll abandon that task...this example is pretty bad. At least the smoking one had a gradual growth to it and hasn't been reversed.
    And how many other similar expansions of govt. authority can you think of? Run your schools this way, or no federal funds. Be sure your state's highway signs meet our standards, or no federal funds.

The point here is that federal funds blackmail has been used as a cudgel to force states to do what the feds want on numerous issues, not just whatever it was originally held to be legitimate for.

"It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."

and in these dark times some good news (and proof of karma?)

https://www.foxnews.com/us/david-koc...nor-dead-at-79

btw I like how Govt news calls him a "philanthropist"

Quote Originally Posted by SoulReaver View Post
    and in these dark times some good news (and proof of karma?)

https://www.foxnews.com/us/david-koc...nor-dead-at-79

btw I like how Govt news calls him a "philanthropist"
    No disrespect towards the deceased, but this deserves a response.

But it's ok if multimillionaires like Soros or Zuckerberg or whatever is running google these days putting their money on the left, right?

And, Fox news isn't "govt. news". That would be PBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    No disrespect towards the deceased, but this deserves a response.

But it's ok if multimillionaires like Soros or Zuckerberg or whatever is running google these days putting their money on the left, right?

And, Fox news isn't "govt. news". That would be PBS.
    you bring up Zuckerberg? that pieceofs helped Trump get elected far more than he "helped" the DNC with his minuscule donations (what a cheapf) hope he croaks the same way

was hoping you'd bring up Soros you lot are too predictable
    you mean the one who's orders of magnitude less wealthy than Koch? you realize that's a stupid example right?

Koch is everything the neocons accuse Soros of magnified by 10 just like he's 10x richer than Soros

Koch is basically the real elites that Trump pretended he'd fight back in 2016 yet Trump is Koch Industries' little beotch despite what he claims in his twits
    Koch is more proof that GOP = party of the elites

Koch is the one who instructed Trump to pick Kavanaugh & who thanks to him controls the Supreme Court

and @ the Prolife(tm) lot Koch is one of the real baby killers - you know indu$trial pollution cancer etc. - yet the Prolifers defend him
    tbh it'd be funny when pollution from his factories causes a neocon couple's wife to miscarry

come to think of it for a mass murdering capitalist cancer like him it's only poetic that he was offed by cancer
    yesterday was a good day for the Commonfolk democracy & the planet

I can imagine in his will he requested that his ashes be blown into a baby's lungs lol

you bring up Zuckerberg? that sociopathic pieceofs helped Trump get elected far more than he "helped" the DNC with his minuscule donations (what a cheapf) hopefully he croaks the same way
    Are you really not seeing that there are other and more valuable things than cash that someone like Zuckerberg can provide? Such as the political bias of his social networking platform?

I was hoping you'd bring up Soros
    you mean the one who's orders of magnitude less wealthy than Koch? you realize that's a stupid example right?

Koch is everything the neocons accuse Soros of magnified by 10 just like he's 10x richer than Soros
    Who cares if he's 10 or 100 times richer than God? Once you're at that level, the details don't matter.

Koch is essentially part of the real elites that Trump ...(insert anti-trump rambling)
    Yawn.

Are you really not seeing that there are other and more valuable things than cash that someone like Zuckerberg can provide? Such as the political bias of his social networking platform?
    well yeah that's what I meant his platform helped Trump & his rusky acolytes
    he has yet to be held accountable for that
    'accessory to high treason' if there's such a charge sounds good

Who cares if he's 10 or 100 times richer than God? Once you're at that level, the details don't matter.
    how about that all of a sudden it's a detail

Yawn.
    hey what happened to all your "anti-elites" ramblings from 2016?
    was it bollox just like your king's? (rhetorical question)

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    Could or Couldn't?
    I'm reading that like it's missing a word, and that's not like you Womble.
    You are correct.

Do you think that is possible?
    Israel, for good or bad has so many religious connections, by themselves, or those seeking to use them.
    Could Iran give up theirs, or would you believe it if they did?
    Syria?
    I just don't know if that's a possible outcome Womble.
    I honestly don't care about Iran or Syria.

In Israel, religion is not an all-or-nothing thing. Lots of people won't drive on Yom Kippur, will only eat kosher but would love to see the Chief Rabbinate dismantled and buses operated on Saturdays. The fall of the April government proved that secular pushback is a viable election platform right now.
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Here we go again.

Ginsburg again leaves Supreme Court with an uncertain future

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is reportedly doing well after a course of radiation therapy for pancreatic cancer, but the news of her latest treatment sent Washington into collective cardiac arrest on Friday. Echoing many David Axelrod of CNN declared that President Trump potentially filling her vacancy would “tear this country apart.”
    Hey, David. It's perfectly fine when the left has control of the court, though, isn't it? You don't seem to mind when the 9th Circus blocks Trump for political reasons, do you?

Ok, fine. Trump will likely get another pick for SCOTUS, if Ginsburg passes, there's nothing that can be done about that, and that's gonna suck for you and the other lefties. You can't change it, so deal with it.

Granted, this is an opinion piece, but the bias is overwhelming, even for that. No wonder CNN is "Fake News".

the Supreme Court is the most vulnerable to potential incapacities, not only because of its small number of nine justices,
    Oh, there aren't enough justices? Seems there was plenty when the left ruled the court.

And, of course, it turns out that the author has wanted to expand the court for a long time.

The absence of any rule to deal with incapacities on the Supreme Court is particularly troublesome for a bench with only nine members. A single inactive member leaves the Supreme Court in a tie. For that and other reasons, I proposed more than two decades ago that the Supreme Court be expanded to 19 members. Democrats have now latched on to that idea for the wrong reason to stack the Supreme Court ideologically.
    And here we have Democrats telling the justices how they had better vote:

In an unprecedented filing, Democratic Senators Sheldon Whitehouse, Mazie Hirono, Richard Blumenthal, Richard Durbin, and Kirsten Gillibrand, warned conservative justices that they should change their voting patterns or face congressional intervention. They wrote that the Supreme Court “can heal itself before the public demands” it be “restructured in order to reduce the influence of politics.”
    Again, it was fine when the court favored the left, wasn't it? Lousy bunch of hypocrites.
    These Democrats seem to forget that they're not likely to be able to "restructure" it.

Here we go again.

Ginsburg again leaves Supreme Court with an uncertain future

Hey, David. It's perfectly fine when the left has control of the court, though, isn't it? You don't seem to mind when the 9th Circus blocks Trump for political reasons, do you?
    the 9th circuit? how's the bloody 9th circuit of any relevance? the 9th circuit is below the Supreme so it doesn't even count
    you might as well cite a local village court it's the same thing in the end both get overruled

find a court of equal level to the Supreme which the left has controlled and then you might have an argument

Ok, fine. Trump will likely get another pick for SCOTUS, if Ginsburg passes, there's nothing that can be done about that, and that's gonna suck for you and the other lefties. You can't change it, so deal with it.
    which is why - assuming again Govt. doesnt rig the election - the next president had better either find a way to expand the Supreme court...or just ignore Supreme Court rulings (because even a constitutional crisis is better than a Supreme court owned by Koch indu$tries & the elites, wouldn't you say?)

the 9th circuit? how's the bloody 9th circuit of any relevance? the 9th circuit is below the Supreme so it doesn't even count
    you might as well cite a local village court it's the same thing in the end both get overruled

find a court of equal level to the Supreme which the left has controlled and then you might have an argument
    How can you say the circuit courts are irrelevant? How many time has Trump been stymied by the 9th circus? Every liberal looney in the county deliberately files suit in that courts jurisdiction to get a favorable ruling.
    And review by SCOTUS isn't guaranteed. And can take years.

And don't forget, SCOTUS itself has leaned left for quite some time. How do you think some of the crazy shiznit has gotten past it?

which is why - assuming again Govt. doesnt rig the election - the next president had better either find a way to expand the Supreme court...or just ignore Supreme Court rulings (because even a constitutional crisis is better than a Supreme court owned by Koch indu$tries & the elites, wouldn't you say?)
    And what if Trump wins in 2020, which is quite likely? Should he immediately start expanding the court & stacking it with ultra conservatives? (Not likely to come to pass, regardless of who is trying) Or ignore the rulings he doesn't like?

Again, it's pure hypocrisy on the part of the left. It's fine and dandy if the courts will rubber stamp every looney liberal idea that comes down the pike, but put the shoe on the other foot, and all of a sudden it's a "crisis".

How can you say the circuit courts are irrelevant? How many time has Trump been stymied by the 9th circus? Every liberal looney in the county deliberately files suit in that courts jurisdiction to get a favorable ruling.
    none of those courts count since they're overruled by the Supreme court

And review by SCOTUS isn't guaranteed. And can take years.
    irrelevant the review cannot be postponed indefinitely so the end result is ineluctable that's all that counts

And don't forget, SCOTUS itself has leaned left for quite some time
    on important issues they only leaned left on very very few select instances like when justice Kennedy ruled that the death penalty can only be applied to killing crimes (just about the only thing that still differentiates the US from dictatorships) and this could change with the new court

And what if Trump wins in 2020, which is quite likely? Should he immediately start expanding the court & stacking it with ultra conservatives? (Not likely to come to pass, regardless of who is trying) Or ignore the rulings he doesn't like?
    if he wins then states should unilaterally secede
    maybe a civil war is the only remedy for what's rotted through

Again, it's pure hypocrisy on the part of the left. It's fine and dandy if the courts will rubber stamp every looney liberal idea that comes down the pike.
    again the hypocrisy's all yours cause this has never happened except in lesser courts & those dont count since they get overruled. it's the right that always has controlled the Supreme court/deep state the only court that matters
    Scotus is basically a conservative court & has been for as long as most remember (since at least the 21st century)

none of those courts count since they're overruled by the Supreme court

irrelevant the review cannot be postponed indefinitely so the end result is ineluctable that's all that counts
    Did you not read where I said that SCOTUS review is not guaranteed?

on important issues they only leaned left on very very few select instances like when justice Kennedy ruled that the death penalty can only be applied to killing crimes (just about the only thing that still differentiates the US from dictatorships) and this could change with the new court
    How did we end up with Roe v. Wade then? How did we end up with affirmative action? Or so many infringements on the 2nd amendment? Or any of the many other liberal decisions that the court has rendered.

if he wins then states should unilaterally secede
    maybe a civil war is the only remedy for what's rotted through
    You just can't accept that he might be the legitimate winner, can you?

again the hypocrisy's all yours cause this has never happened except in lesser courts & those dont count since they get overruled. it's the right that always has controlled the Supreme court/deep state the only court that matters
    Scotus is basically a conservative court & has been for as long as most remember (since at least the 21st century)
    Damn, you have a short memory. SCOTUS decisions resonate throughout or society for many years, decades, or more.
    And please stop using the term "Deep state", you obviously misunderstand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    You are correct.

I honestly don't care about Iran or Syria.

In Israel, religion is not an all-or-nothing thing. Lots of people won't drive on Yom Kippur, will only eat kosher but would love to see the Chief Rabbinate dismantled and buses operated on Saturdays. The fall of the April government proved that secular pushback is a viable election platform right now.
    So, what is the -point- of Israel?
    A safe home for Jews I can understand, we all want a "home"
    What if we took religion out of Vatican City?
    Would it still be what it supposed to be?
    What would it's point be then?
    If I set up "new Asgard", as a state, then ignored anything to do with Asgard, why would I do it?
    Last edited by Gatefan1976; August 25th, 2019 at 07:21 PM.

Did you not read where I said that SCOTUS review is not guaranteed?
    ok so how exactly's it possible to prevent a Scotus review indefinitely?
    How did we end up with Roe v. Wade then? How did we end up with affirmative action?
    again that was last century things back when Scotus was +- balanced
    Or so many infringements on the 2nd amendment? Or any of the many other liberal decisions that the court has rendered.
    what 2nd amendment rights did you lose recently? under Obama?
    You just can't accept that he might be the legitimate winner, can you?
    about as legitimate as 2016
    And please stop using the term "Deep state", you obviously misunderstand it.
    no you just don't like when your own arguments are turned back upon themselves
    (Supreme) Deep State applies to the SCOTUS better than anything else
    it behoves the next president to declare SCOTUS/SDS public enemy #1

ok so how exactly's it possible to prevent a Scotus review indefinitely?
    The court chooses what cases it hears. It does not have to take all cases presented to it.

again that was last century things back when Scotus was +- balanced
    And by balanced, you mean biased to the left. See? That's the left's natural way of thinking; that they are entitled to be in power.

what 2nd amendment rights did you lose recently? under Obama?
    Educate yourself about NY state's "safe act", pushed through the NY legislature in the dark of night and signed by the dictator of NY, Cuomo.

about as legitimate as 2016
    2016 was legitimate. Aside from the fact that your side lost. Again, that's the left's natural way of thinking; that they are entitled to be in power, and why they can't understand why they lost. And it's really going to be a shocker for them when they lose again in 2020.

But don't take my word for it, look at their behavior in the ongoing runup to 2020. The candidates they are discussing are 9/10 crazy, completely unelectable in the general election, and they're falling over themselves to eat the one guy they have that might be able to win alive.

Is this the behavior of a party that thinks it can lose?

no you just don't like when your own arguments are turned back upon themselves
    (Supreme) Deep State applies to the SCOTUS better than anything else
    it behoves the next president to declare SCOTUS/SDS public enemy #1
    Again, you need to educate yourself. The "Deep State" has absolutely nothing to do with SCOTUS.

As used today, in reference to the US, the "Deep State" is comprised of behind the scenes bureaucrats, functionaries and other unelected and unaccountable people who carry out the actual administration of laws, for example, writing the regulations to enforce a law. These folks often have their own agenda, many of which are decidedly anti-Trump. Such as the CIA? (or some other 3 letter agency) folks who were caught plotting to overthrow Trump's election, and may have been responsible for touching off the two+ year "collusion" witch hunt.
    Other examples are writing the regulations in ways that either go beyond or do something utterly different than what the law that was passed is supposed to do.

I don't care if a republican wins.
    I don't even care that much if the SCOTUS leans right.

Just get rid of Trump, he is unbalanced, and dangerous.

The court chooses what cases it hears. It does not have to take all cases presented to it.
    there you go so your previous argument was bollox: the SDS/SCOTUS can choose what it reviews since it's (even more) elitist & to the right than ever then it will choose those reviews that benefits Trump the GOP & the elites, the lesser courts or anyone else are powerless to stop a case from reaching the SDS, only the SDS decides, therefore those reviews are inevitable & the rulings of the lesser courts dont count
    quod erat demonstrandum
    And by balanced, you mean biased to the left. See? That's the left's natural way of thinking; that they are entitled to be in power.
    aside from last century I meant more biased to the right but still more or less balanced
    Educate yourself about NY state's "safe act", pushed through the NY legislature in the dark of night and signed by the dictator of NY, Cuomo.
    ah but that's a local (state) law. the GOP always claims is supports "states' rights" doesn't it? not "states' people's rights". so there NYC's rights; it's the same rationale that lets you justify the existence of this anti-democratic aberration you call the electoral college
    2016 was legitimate. Aside from the fact that your side lost.
    your side won & you lost
    But don't take my word for it, look at their behavior in the ongoing runup to 2020. The candidates they are discussing are 9/10 crazy, completely unelectable in the general election, and they're falling over themselves to eat the one guy they have that might be able to win alive.

Is this the behavior of a party that thinks it can lose?
    you dont think that pisses me off
    but apparently this isn't hurting Biden's poll numbers
    Again, you need to educate yourself. The "Deep State" has absolutely nothing to do with SCOTUS.

As used today, in reference to the US, the "Deep State" is comprised of behind the scenes bureaucrats, functionaries and other unelected and unaccountable people who carry out the actual administration of laws, for example, writing the regulations to enforce a law. These folks often have their own agenda, many of which are decidedly anti-Trump. Such as the CIA? (or some other 3 letter agency) folks who were caught plotting to overthrow Trump's election, and may have been responsible for touching off the two+ year "collusion" witch hunt.
    Other examples are writing the regulations in ways that either go beyond or do something utterly different than what the law that was passed is supposed to do.
    (I like when others make the argument for me) and you just added more water to the mill
    the SCOTUS is that, and more: unelected & unaccountable people (like regular govt officials they have an indefinite tenure, worse than that they are completely unaccountable can't be fired, hence 'Supreme' Deep State) and they go beyond administering law because they interpret the law & in effect make their own laws which trump those passed by legit (elected) bodies like the parliament/congress/legislature etc. they of course have their agenda which is to further that of the elites like Koch (and their minions like Trump) to the detriment of the People

the only small difference is that they're not quite as behind-the-scenes as the regular deep state but at their level of power & total impunity why should they care

Page 1659 of 1671 FirstFirst ... 659115915591609164916561657165816591660166116621669 ... LastLast