Page 1163 of 1163 FirstFirst ... 1636631063111311531160116111621163
Results 23,241 to 23,255 of 23255

Thread: The Political Discussion Thread

Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    In what way is technology -worse-?
    The largest factor in technological advancement is human effort required to perform X task, which means -at worst- you are losing jobs, which is -entirely- why people like Womble say education is a cornerstone of societal advancement -besides the fact that it has been proven time and time again in history-
    Process workers loose the job due to automation, retrain them to learn a new skill, Miners loose a job because of automation, teach them to oversee wind farms instead, their lungs and your health bill will love you for it. The problem isn't -getting them educated-, the system exists already, it's this notion of "who will pay for it" and quite frankly, you all pay for it a hell of a lot more if you DON'T do it. West Virginia is a -shining- example of this, Coal country, "salt of the earth" hardworking men and women, yet most are poorly educated, are on or addicted to opioids, and receiving federal health handouts. Do you honestly see that model as a way forward for your country?
    which is why it's not always for the better...computers lack one important factor...the inherently human ability to think outside the box

and quite frankly....if I owned a farm....I wouldn't be so quick to trust the activity of harvesting my produce to a bunch of glorified automated buckets of bolts that might choose a rather inopportune moment to start malfunctioning

so yes....assembly line manufacturers might save money in transitioning to robots rather than humans....but I would bet my bottom dollar that robots wouldn't be nearly as effective at maintaining the quality level that the product had when the process was overseen by humans

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Spellcheck is notoriously iffy.
    Especially if you are typing a UK word, and spell check tries to alter it to a US word...!

With an actual fountain pen too.
    Good for you. I used to Love using fountain pens, or more to the point Cartridge pens..

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Strange, i know quite a few people on welfare, who from the welfare, EBT, Section 8 (housing), Section 11 (day care), and all the other benies (such as tax credits etc), pull in quite a bit of money.. To where they have had family vacations each year when people i know who work, can't afford to do more than 1 vacation every 3-4 years...
    I am somehow skeptical about that. Do they work off the books?

Then where did all those thousands of med school peeps go back in the mid-lte 90s when it was getting 'flooded'?
    Good question. Might have dropped out due to unaffordable tuition fees.

And if you note, every time the government INCREASES how much they will pay for students to attend college on govt aid, the PRICE of that college class also seems to increase EXACTLY the same amount? JUST the same as with govt assisted rent. Such as BAH/OHA for mil folks. I could rent a room for 1000 a mo, and 2 yrs later, when my OHA/BAH got boosted to 1200/mo, guess what. THAT'S what the rent now costs.
    Well, that's the downside of treating education as a business to you. It doesn't happen in Germany, why is that?
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    which is why it's not always for the better...computers lack one important factor...the inherently human ability to think outside the box
    Which is why you train and educate human overseers.
    and quite frankly....if I owned a farm....I wouldn't be so quick to trust the activity of harvesting my produce to a bunch of glorified automated buckets of bolts that might choose a rather inopportune moment to start malfunctioning
    Well, you could certainly support yourself and a family that way, out in the fields with a scythe and the lady or kids at home doing the threshing, but good luck supporting anything like a community, and good luck having the time required to do anything beyond work to survive.
    so yes....assembly line manufacturers might save money in transitioning to robots rather than humans....but I would bet my bottom dollar that robots wouldn't be nearly as effective at maintaining the quality level that the product had when the process was overseen by humans
    Process lines such as car manufacturing are still overseen by humans. In addition, most goods you buy today are built by robots, some products for quite some time now, certainly before either one of us was born.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    I am somehow skeptical about that. Do they work off the books?

Good question. Might have dropped out due to unaffordable tuition fees.

Well, that's the downside of treating education as a business to you. It doesn't happen in Germany, why is that?
    Will you stop making sense, I have to agree with you too much

Captain

perhaps it's you that needs to learn some history....along with some basic economics....basic economic principles state that when you have more people on the government dole than you have working/producing, no economy can sustain that forever

it's the same cycle that's been played out in history numerous times, which is probably where the saying "Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it"....and unfortunately the number of people willing to disregard history's lessons is alarmingly high....most free nations tend to follow what has comonly become known as the Tytler Cycle:

"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship."
    “The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

From bondage to spiritual faith;
    From spiritual faith to great courage;
    From courage to liberty;
    From liberty to abundance;
    From abundance to complacency;
    From complacency to apathy;
    From apathy to dependence;
    From dependence back into bondage
    From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury,
    Which is where we are now in most urban areas

The only solution I can think of is to require employment in either the private sector or police/fire/military in order to vote.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Oh, I missed this bit of "wisdom", let me respond.
    perhaps it's you that needs to learn some history....along with some basic economics....basic economic principles state that when you have more people on the government dole than you have working/producing, no economy can sustain that forever
    Your basic premise is flawed, the fall of the roman empire had NOTHING to do with government "dole", in fact, I doubt you even knew rome provided benefits given that you just said that such benefits were recent. The major economic failure of rome was the vast divide between the working class and the wealthy, and if you actually knew a damn thing about what you were talking about, you would have hung your "history repeats itself" argument on that. It's next failure was on spending so much on expanding borders and the military cost involved in such projects.
    it's the same cycle that's been played out in history numerous times, which is probably where the saying "Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it"....and unfortunately the number of people willing to disregard history's lessons is alarmingly high....most free nations tend to follow what has comonly become known as the Tytler Cycle:
    Wow, I have said that for years, I'm shocked.
    "A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship."
    You just voted in the dictator.
    “The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

From courage to liberty;
    What a self righteous load of ****.
    It does raise an interesting question though, if all of mans works are doomed to fail via corruption, just how corrupt would something be that is man made, and much older?

Major General Pharaoh Hamenthotep's Avatar

From courage to liberty;
    Where did you pull that ****** from?

Egypt's first civilization lasted roughly 550 years. The second lasted around 400. The third around 500 years. Or if you like, what you imagine as Ancient Egypt from the first pyramid to the great Pharaohs lasted 1450 years

The Aksumite Empire was a kingdom that resided in what is today Ethiopia. Its capital city was Aksum. It lasted from the 100BC to roughly 1000 AD. So, it lasted 1100 years.

The Vedic Civilization of India lasted roughly 1000 years.

The Roman Empire lasted 507 years.

I could go on.. but you get the point.

No, he doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    No, he doesn't.
    I know

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
    I could go on.. but you get the point.
    Remember the great civilizations of the Assyrians, Babylonians, Incas, Olmecs, Aztecs... just to name a few.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1201&dateline=1311771170
    icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research

Remember the great civilizations of the Assyrians, Babylonians, Incas, Olmecs, Aztecs... just to name a few.
    I didn't want to confuse him..

His head would probably explode if he knew Australia's Aboriginal civilization is 50,000 years old.

He's quoting the 200 year civilisation "rule" because his own civilisation is about 200 years old.. Annoyed has been saying for years that America is about to fall any minute..

And that was before they elected Lord Damp Nut.
    Last edited by Pharaoh Hamenthotep; Today at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
    His head would probably explode if he knew Australia's Aboriginal civilization is 50,000 years old.
    Totally forgot about them.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1201&dateline=1311771170
    icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research

What about China? 221 BC Emperor Qin Shihuangdi unified all the warring states. The resulting Chinese Empire lasted 2123 years, not counting a few short break-ups, until 1912.
    <a href=http://forum.gateworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=34704&d=1337616958 target=_blank>http://forum.gateworld.net/attachmen...4&d=1337616958</a>

200 years on average for a civilization is starting to look as an awkward number...