Page 1149 of 1163 FirstFirst ... 1496491049109911391146114711481149 1150115111521159 ... LastLast
Results 22,961 to 22,980 of 23255

Thread: The Political Discussion Thread

Captain

Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by epg20 View Post
    ok, I am just going to say this once:

my city has ben on the FRONT LINE in the abortion debate, look it up if you are that interested, I think a lot of people think that a woman go to a clinic for an abortion like she is going to get a hair cut, or get a massage, she doesn't, it isn't an easy thing that she does, she agonizes over it, for days and weeks maybe, not a moment goes by, when she finds out that she is pregnant, that she weighs the pros and cons of having a baby, can I afford it, what about the father, will he help with the baby, what will my family think, can I really do this to a child, him/her in to this world... and so many questions that would cause the server to crash, all of this takes place in her head, in the amount of time that it takes to blink an eye, an abortion is not easy, ON ANY BODY.
    And how many of those questions should have been asked BEFORE they take their pants off?
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Glad me and annoyed are not the only ones that feel that way..
    What are you saying I think about something?
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."

Major General Pharaoh Hamenthotep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    And how many of those questions should have been asked BEFORE they take their pants off?
    So you're saying that if someone doesn't want kids they must never have sex, ever! They must live their entire lives as celibate monks. Even if they're living with a partner and/or financially stable?

I know you've made this "keep your pants on" thing into your main argument.. But shouldn't you have gone with something not so easily defeated by simple logic?

Have you considered "it makes your (Annoyed's) god sad"?

Or maybe "I'm (Annoyed) envious of you young people doing things I missed out on, now I'm an angry old man and want to stop you having fun!"

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
    So you're saying that if someone doesn't want kids they must never have sex, ever! They must live their entire lives as celibate monks. Even if they're living with a partner and/or financially stable?

I know you've made this "keep your pants on" thing into your main argument.. But shouldn't you have gone with something not so easily defeated by simple logic?

Have you considered "it makes your (Annoyed's) god sad"?

Or maybe "I'm (Annoyed) envious of you young people doing things I missed out on, now I'm an angry old man and want to stop you having fun!"
    * ??? Must have caught you mid-edit.

How about these questions:
    when she finds out that she is pregnant, that she weighs the pros and cons of having a baby, can I afford it, what about the father, will he help with the baby,
    Should be thought about in advance, eh?

What are you saying I think about something?
    He's saying you're as angry and crazy as he is.

'Great minds think alike, but fools rarely differ' kind of thing..

Well, in context of recent discussion, I'm guessing that you are saying an abortion is a form of defense for women, which is most certainly is not, aside from risks to the mother's life situations. An abortion is an attack against the human life that is at present residing within her, not a defense.
    No, not a defense -- a choice.

Much like it is a choice by society to have a death penalty in it's punishment system.
    The law of the land once made the choice to put the penalty of death on certain crimes, and long sentences on others (or short sentences).

My point is that you are giving more rights to society to choose that option while you are taking it away from a woman. You are denying her the choice to terminate her pregnancy.

And perhaps you should read the short stories I posted to know that black and white have no space in the choice to abort or not to abort. There's so much grey in there, black and white literally got lost.

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    *waves independent card*
    *is alone*
    I don't think you're alone.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulReaver View Post
    one day the US could even end up worse than China
    I was actually refering to "digging a hole for yourself" -- therefore Annoyed was in my opinion halfway to China already.

Not to be taken literally

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    At least we will never be Belgium. We won't let other countries push around like the Dutch. Seriously FH, the Dutch?
    We pushed the Dutch away, unless that's not what you meant.

Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Read back and tell me you honestly think that none of the "Liberals" have posted facts, such as links to scientific studies, articles, and other fact type things versus your "In my opinion" or general "feels".
    I'm clearly not a liberal.

And how was "his wanting increased vetting" any different from what trump wants? OR Is it yet again, cause of his campaign speches where he said "ban them all"?
    The vetting process in the USA is currently spread across a period which lasts 18 to 24 months.

Lets see. Libya - ATTACKED A US Consulate, killing the ambassador.
    Is this the Benghazi attack?

What was the lead-in for that incident?
    What spurred those men to attack the Embassy?

According to an early CIA assessment it was because of general protest in neighboring countries, but that turned out to be wrong when it turned out to be just a spur-of-the-moment attack. No planning went into it.

Much like the man at Orly this week -- who screwed up and then decided to go all the way. No planning, just spur-of-the-moment. Of course, he was the only one who died without any other casualties, except for the police officer who shot at earlier with a pellet gun (that had to bite).

Somalia - took over SEVERAL US Ships for hostages.
    Somali pirates took the ships and hostages.
    Nothing to do with the country as a whole.

Iran - took over US patrol craft and took them BACK TO THEIR home port as prisoners.
    They took the vessels in custody -- they might have been too close to Iranian waters. Nobody likes foreign navy ships snooping in their waters without express permission.

Nothing happened to the crew. It did create a diplomatic crisis but when don't these things create diplomatic troubles.

Do those not count?
    Libya was not planned. Pirates were responsible in Somalian waters (international or otherwise) and Iran felt the navy boats were too close to their waters.

No terrorism to speak of.

And how the hell can someone IDENTIFY a member of that order, without profiling?
    That's what your 2-year vetting process is for.

Do you know what the process is?

Quote Originally Posted by SGalisa View Post
    I drink Hawaiian Punch, NOT coolaid. The sugar in the Punch knocks you out into la-la sleepy land..
    To be honest, I have no idea what this coolaid is, which is always referred to.

I assume, it must be something sweet, yes. But is it a soda?

He wants a 120 day halt, so proper vetting proceedures can be put into place. NOT A TOTAL BAN.. If YOU CAN'T see that and think a temporary halt is a ban, then it seems nothing i say will change YOUR MIND.
    He called for a muslim ban during his campaign. Guiliani called it a muslim ban after EO nr 1.
    Ryan said at some point that a "muslim ban" wouldn't be a good idea. Heck, even Pency tweeted about it.

And your current vetting process is 18 to 24 months.

Glad me and annoyed are not the only ones that feel that way.
    Considering the line is yours, I think Tood simply forgot to erase that part of your quote.

And how many times has someone we were watching, 'slipped through the cracks/disappeared, and gone on to do an attack, or "WE vetted him and found no flags", but he still went on to do an attack? Kinda puts paid imo to 'the most sophisticated intelligence community' tag, don't ya think?
    I hear more often than not, those intelligence committees aren't properly working together when it happens.

But hindsight is always 20/20.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1201&dateline=1311771170
    icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research

Okay folks, it's official -- from now on, partners can't have sex unless they really want children.

Same-sex sex is going to spike!
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1201&dateline=1311771170
    icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Okay folks, it's official -- from now on, partners can't have sex unless they really want children.

Same-sex sex is going to spike!
    No, partners can use birth control to minimize the chances, but there will always be a chance of a pregnancy unless some permanent type of control is in use. So it's a good idea to be in a suitable situation just in case.

But responsible behavior is just too much to expect, isn't it? Much easier to just kill the infant that results.

Guess what also helps -- inform the teenagers who come of age what happens if they aren't careful.

And yes, accidents happen and in such case it should be the girl's or woman's choice to go forward or to say no, not right now. I can't this cause I want to get this degree, or I'm not in a point in my life where I can give this kid the time and effort it deserves.

Until then, I suggest you stop telling women what they can and can't do.
    It's none of my business, and it's none of yours either.

No, partners can use birth control to minimize the chances, but there will always be a chance of a pregnancy unless some permanent type of control is in use. So it's a good idea to be in a suitable situation just in case.

But responsible behavior is just too much to expect, isn't it? Much easier to just kill the infant that results.
    He really is saying sex is only for reproduction..

Everyone must be celibate until they want kids

Captain

Guess what also helps -- inform the teenagers who come of age what happens if they aren't careful.

And yes, accidents happen and in such case it should be the girl's or woman's choice to go forward or to say no, not right now. I can't this cause I want to get this degree, or I'm not in a point in my life where I can give this kid the time and effort it deserves.

Until then, I suggest you stop telling women what they can and can't do.
    It's none of my business, and it's none of yours either.
    There is a basic disconnect here, and we will never change each other's minds. The basic thing is that I consider abortion to be murder because it is the taking of a human life and you don't.

And murder is definitely something that a society has an interest in.

Because it's none of my business why a person makes that choice, but at least they have that choice.

And neither should it be yours, no matter what your opinion is on the matter, unless you are intimitely and directly affected by it, like say your partner.

Captain

Because it's none of my business why a person makes that choice, but at least they have that choice.

And neither should it be yours, no matter what your opinion is on the matter, unless you are intimitely and directly affected by it, like say your partner.
    Suppose you thought abortion was murder, as I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    Errr....... that's the law?
    So a hundred thousand US citizens could be killed overseas, but cause it was never on US soil, we ain't gonna worry bout those terrorists, cause it was NOT ON us soil according to the law.. In your mind that is..

Why not, she aborted an innocent life, right?
    Now you are being obtuse.. Arguing for the sake of arguing..

You do understand that intent is a major function of law, right?
    BUt were not YOU ARGUING that intent didn't matter for hillary only what she actually did?

They are against jack booted thugs?
    And how is the IRS holding a JOB Booth at a fair, being jack booted thugs?

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
    Right... That's the only way it happens.. there has to be some external trauma

You know sometimes it just happens, right? No reason. No blunt force impact. Just the foetus detaches all on it's own, just because. And it happens far more often than you realise.

If a woman goes into the hospital and says it just happened, would you believe her? She was just watching TV, got up to get a snack, and suddenly blood everywhere!! How would you be able to tell if she is telling the truth?

Would you believe it "just happened"?
    First off i didn't SAY THAT IS THE ONLY way it happens, but from chatting with a # of people who have worked in hospitals, that is what they say often causes it.. external trauma..
    Secondly, YES i know a woman can miscarry, just because. And in most of those cases, the docs can tell.

So a hundred thousand US citizens could be killed overseas, but cause it was never on US soil, we ain't gonna worry bout those terrorists, cause it was NOT ON us soil according to the law.. In your mind that is..
    No, not "in my mind", according to law. If you want to ban Somali pirates, go for it, you would have a case. The law exists independent of me, and my opinion of it.
    Now you are being obtuse.. Arguing for the sake of arguing..
    No, I am applying your standard without fear or favour.
    BUt were not YOU ARGUING that intent didn't matter for hillary only what she actually did?
    Not me.

And how is the IRS holding a JOB Booth at a fair, being jack booted thugs?
    it's not the booth in of itself that is the problem.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet

Suppose you thought abortion was murder, as I do?
    suppose you were muslim, as you could be?

Captain

Well, since that faith seems to not allow abortions, I suspect I might still think its murder.

Well, since that faith seems to not allow abortions, I suspect I might still think its murder.
    I think you missed his point, badly.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet

First Lieutenant

Have you been drinkingAlisa's coolaid again?

Quote Originally Posted by SGalisa View Post
    I drink Hawaiian Punch, NOT coolaid. The sugar in the Punch knocks you out into la-la sleepy land..
    And my home-made "Shirley Temple"s are just as sweet..marachino cherries..mmmmmm..
    I have a sweet tooth.
    To be honest, I have no idea what this coolaid is, which is always referred to.

I assume, it must be something sweet, yes. But is it a soda?
    No, it's juice - flavored juice, actually spelled Kool-Aid. Often comes in a powdered mix, but can be pre-mixed and sold same way Hawaiian Punch is sold in plastic bottles or waterproofed cardboard containers.

I'm guessing Kool-Aid is a competitor to Hawaiian Punch. I used to drink both during my younger years. Now, I drink Hawaiian Punch more, because I have favorite flavors. I forget what the difference is besides price and brand name. They're both pretty much on par with each other as far as sweetness (sugar content).

I did find some history on Kool-Aid on wikipedia, where the origin of the slang term "drinking the Kool-aid" came from. Here it is..

"Kool-Aid (history)"

Main definition--
    {quote}Kool-Aid is a brand of flavored drink mix owned by Kraft Foods.
    Product type= Powdered drink mix, pouched beverage and liquid.
    {end of quote}

History in popular culture--
    {quote}* "Drinking the Kool-Aid" refers to the 1978 Jonestown Massacre; the phrase suggests that one has mindlessly adopted the dogma of a group or leader without fully understanding the ramifications or implications. At Jonestown, Jim Jones' followers followed him to the end: after visiting Congressman Leo Ryan was shot at the airstrip, all the Peoples Temple members drank from a metal vat containing a mixture of "Kool Aid", cyanide, and prescription drugs Valium, Phenergan, and chloral hydrate.

Present-day descriptions of the event often refer to the beverage not as Kool-Aid but as Flavor Aid,[14] a less-expensive product from Jel Sert reportedly found at the site.[15] Kraft Foods, the maker of Kool-Aid, has stated the same.[16][17] Implied by this accounting of events is that the reference to the Kool-Aid brand owes exclusively to its being better-known among Americans. Others are less categorical.[14] Both brands are known to have been among the commune's supplies: Film footage shot inside the compound prior to the events of November shows Jones opening a large chest in which boxes of both Flavor Aid and Kool-Aid are visible.[18]

Criminal investigators testifying at the Jonestown inquest spoke of finding packets of "cool aid" (sic), and eyewitnesses to the incident are also recorded as speaking of "cool aid" or "Cool Aid."[19] However, it is unclear whether they intended to refer to the actual Kool-Aid–brand drink or were using the name in a generic sense that might refer to any powdered flavored beverage.
    {end of quote}
    Whoa.. after reading that little blurb, makes me glad I drink Hawaiian Punch instead..
    Better to get socked by a Hawaiian Punch into dreamy-land and wake up every day, than have that Jonestown Kool-Aid term attached and never wake up.. jeesh!

Captain

Oh, I got it. I just didn't see what it had to do with a discussion on abortion.