Page 1604 of 1617 FirstFirst ... 604110415041554159416011602160316041605160616071614 ... LastLast
Results 32,061 to 32,080 of 32326

Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    That's not what bothers me.
    2 things bother me.
    1: Preference voting
    2: "winning" without a majority which gives very minor parties far more political clout than they deserve as they must be pandered to.
    Sounds a bit like the goal is similar to our EC system, where the large urban areas can't silence the sparsely populated rural areas.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Sounds a bit like the goal is similar to our EC system, where the large urban areas can't silence the sparsely populated rural areas.
    Nothing remotely like that.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Nothing remotely like that.
    I do hope nothing resembles the EC in any shape or form.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    I do hope nothing resembles the EC in any shape or form.
    Yeah, the voices of the people in rural areas shouldn't be heard, right?
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."

Actually yes, precisely. One vote is one vote, cows don't get to vote.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

They deserve to be heard, just as much as anyone else.
    That's what you don't get, you want "rural voters" to carry more weight than "urban voters". 10 urban voters don't even equate to 1 rural voter in the US, but as their thinking aligns with yours, you like it that way. Flip it around with the same rules, and you would be calling for the dismantling of the EC faster than Donnie boy can tweet something stupid.
    Again, you place what you want over what the majority wants, because it's convenient for you.
    It should NEVER work that way.

Actually yes, precisely. One vote is one vote, cows don't get to vote.
    MOO-rons?

They deserve to be heard, just as much as anyone else.
    That's what you don't get, you want "rural voters" to carry more weight than "urban voters". 10 urban voters don't even equate to 1 rural voter in the US, but as their thinking aligns with yours, you like it that way. Flip it around with the same rules, and you would be calling for the dismantling of the EC faster than Donnie boy can tweet something stupid.
    Again, you place what you want over what the majority wants, because it's convenient for you.
    It should NEVER work that way.
    No, the problem is it's a numbers game. Unless the outnumbered rural voters are given more weight, they have no voice.

No, the problem is it's a numbers game. Unless the outnumbered rural voters are given more weight, they have no voice.
    So, your solution is to give more to less?

Don't forget the gerrymandering. Why does everyone forget the gerrymandering?
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Don't forget the gerrymandering. Why does everyone forget the gerrymandering?
    Because both sides do it, so on the whole it's a wash?

Really, the Dems are just as egregious as the Rep's with this, but the only time you ever hear about it is when it favors the Reps.

Because both sides do it, so on the whole it's a wash?

Really, the Dems are just as egregious as the Rep's with this, but the only time you ever hear about it is when it favors the Reps.
    Any actual evidence to back that up or are you simply basing it on one NY district again?

Any actual evidence to back that up or are you simply basing it on one NY district again?
    Well, there's this: How Maryland Democrats pulled off their aggressive gerrymander

And this: New Jersey Democrats are threatening to undermine their state’s democracy

I'm not in favor of partisan gerrymandering. But it's going to happen. The way it is now, whichever party runs the state draws the lines based on the census. The reason you hear so much whining from the Democrats is that they have not been winning states as much as they would like so they've been shut out of the process recently. It's perfectly fine when it works in their favor, though.

Staff Sergeant

Eh?
    This makes no sense.
    It's the teachers, but it's the system, but it's not fair on the teachers, so blame the system, but if I blame the teachers, there is less blowback on me, the person who created the system.
    You people are nuts.
    Convoluted arguments to dissipate responsibility.
    "it wasn't MY fault, just the fault of the people I VOTED IN TO POWER"
    Yeah, I get that logic...………..
    no, the professors are not the problem when it comes to the cost of education

i thought i was pretty clear in stating it is the institution's bureaucracy and all of the non teaching staff that gets the higher pay with boat loads of money going to things like landscaping

i created no systems, but, err, thanks for the credit

Staff Sergeant

this is the political discussion thread right? not the american political discussion thread?

do none of the non Americans here have any stones to cast within in their own nations?

i really love how all of you just jump right onto the 'bash america' with never a mention of all the mess in your own countries

granted we have some big issues here, always will no matter of the Pres is Trump or Obama or who the F ever

and, whenever I have brought up issues (not here) about another nation and some of the practices there I get stuff like 'oh, that is just some people no one really knows" or some other excuse for the bad behavior

like Australian issues with--just 3 of my head- growing govt authoritarianism, issues with immigrants and refugees (they get shipped off to some south sea hell hole) and the govt's official policy on eradicating cats

america is not the only nation with issues, major issues, stop pretending it is

But her emails!

I do cast a lot of stone at my nation (stressed a few times how bad Canada did on its climate change engagements and had an argument with GF about AUS's very strict immigration policy) but somehow the puck keeps finding its way into a MAGA arena.

We need fresh blood but some of us are scary I guess "WOULD you stop barking Jel! GF stop throwing molotovs at the dogs!"
    Spoiler:

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by magi877 View Post
    this is the political discussion thread right? not the american political discussion thread?

do none of the non Americans here have any stones to cast within in their own nations?

i really love how all of you just jump right onto the 'bash america' with never a mention of all the mess in your own countries

granted we have some big issues here, always will no matter of the Pres is Trump or Obama or who the F ever

and, whenever I have brought up issues (not here) about another nation and some of the practices there I get stuff like 'oh, that is just some people no one really knows" or some other excuse for the bad behavior

like Australian issues with--just 3 of my head- growing govt authoritarianism, issues with immigrants and refugees (they get shipped off to some south sea hell hole) and the govt's official policy on eradicating cats

This is the thread for ALL politics not just Americans and their country.

I expect Annoyed is to blame
    Jelgate is right

But her emails!

I do cast a lot of stone at my nation (stressed a few times how bad Canada did on its climate change engagements and had an argument with GF about AUS's very strict immigration policy) but somehow the puck keeps finding its way into a MAGA arena.

We need fresh blood but some of us are scary I guess "WOULD you stop barking Jel! GF stop throwing molotovs at the dogs!"
    Molitov's are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by magi877 View Post

GF ? I think it was offered an explanation that US politics dominate because we are a superpower and our actions influence the world as a whole more than those of Australia or Canada for example.

Just based on recent election results in AU., I think GF strongly disagrees with the lion's share of the people living there. Their flavor of conservatives just pulled an upset of Trumpian proportions at the polls. GF can't be happy with that, and he has said in the past he disagrees with AU's immigration policies. (I rather wish we would adopt at least some of them)

What is this about cats now?

Page 1604 of 1617 FirstFirst ... 604110415041554159416011602160316041605160616071614 ... LastLast