Page 1 of 1617 123411511015011001 ... LastLast

Cool The Political Discussion Thread

By participating in this thread, you agree to follow the rules of this thread (listed below) and the rules of GW, and acknowledge that if you violate any of the below rules, you may be held accountable.

Since we were/are getting off topic in the "language of the right: does it incite violence" thread, I decided to create a general political discussion thread, where there can be a general discussion of varying political topics...

There are a few rules in this thread!

1. Remain courteous and respectful to others at all times.
    2. Do not make personally directed attacks on any other user (for example, it is acceptable to accuse someone of making a "dumb proposition" (i.e.: "that's a terrible idea, <member>, <reasons why>) but it is not acceptable to accuse someone of being "dumb" (i.e.: "How stupid are you?, <member>...).
    3. In accordance with GW's rules, all posts must be PG-friendly (i.e. no inappropriate language, etc).
    4. Please do not post any hateful or racially, sexually or ethnically objectionable material.
    5. This is a discussion thread regarding politics, not religion (however, discussion topics that intertwine both religion and politics are acceptable), but if you want to discuss issues that are purely religious, please visit this thread.
    6. Rules for this thread may be modified at the discretion of the GateWorld forum moderators/admins, if they make any such requests.

Notice: If you feel there is a post in this thread that is not in compliance with any of the above rules, please report the said post(s).

Let's begin the discussion!
    Last edited by Rickington; June 21st, 2011 at 08:39 PM.

Don't touch Lola

Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

Don't we have about a 100 general political threads
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Perhaps, but the other topic was becoming way off-topic, so I thought I would create a general (the argument can flow in any direction ) thread.

Don't touch Lola

Quote Originally Posted by Rickington View Post
    Perhaps, but the other topic was becoming way off-topic, so I thought I would create a general (the argument can flow in any direction ) thread.
    Thier are more then a few general threads created over the years.
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Thier are more then a few general threads created over the years.
    But they're all boring and buried
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Perhaps, but the other topic was becoming way off-topic
    Isn't everything in politics off-topic? Name one thing a politician can talk about without either getting into trouble, someone changing the subject or someone trying to hurt that politician and his believes with personal attacks?

Lieutenant Colonel xxxevilgrinxxx's Avatar

The one draw back I see to a general, as opposed to a specific thread to discuss a specific issue, is that it is amazingly easy to derail a political discussion. I think I'd prefer to discuss a single issue as it comes up, and stick to that issue as closely as possible. Sure, other threads can be derailed but there's a remedy for that. There is no remedy to get a topic back on topic if it's so general

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Quote Originally Posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
    The one draw back I see to a general, as opposed to a specific thread to discuss a specific issue, is that it is amazingly easy to derail a political discussion. I think I'd prefer to discuss a single issue as it comes up, and stick to that issue as closely as possible. Sure, other threads can be derailed but there's a remedy for that. There is no remedy to get a topic back on topic if it's so general
    Hey I happen to like free wheeling discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Col.Foley View Post
    Hey I happen to like free wheeling discussion.
    So do I .

Don't touch Lola

Whaling for what purpose?

"Scientific research" whaling or whaling for food?

Don't touch Lola

Quote Originally Posted by Spimman View Post
    Since nothing is off the table...

...what are your thoughts on the politics of whaling?
    There is nothing whatsoever advantageous to anyone about whaling! And certainly none for the whales!

Quote Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
    There is nothing whatsoever advantageous to anyone about whaling! And certainly none for the whales!
    Agreed! Whaling is a serious crime in my book.

Don't touch Lola

Lieutenant Colonel xxxevilgrinxxx's Avatar

Since nothing is off the table...

...what are your thoughts on the politics of whaling?
    Whaling itself - it's wrong to murder endangered animals. Trying to get around the law is wrong.
    As for the politics of whaling - it's fuelled by the money obtained in something that ought to be illegal, so I don't think much of the politics of whaling, or politicians that support whaling.

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Captain Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble's Avatar

I think whaling should for food should be 100% band for the time being until they get back to a strong population size. I don't know why whales need to be killed for 'scientific purposes' but if they do then it needs to be severely limited not to extent of the Japanese. I also wouldn't condemn groups like Sea Shepherd as long as they don't target the whalers with anything that permanently hurt them.

I see no problem with conducting non-lethal scientific studies on whales, but I assume that the type of whaling being discussed is the kind that's lethal to the whale population. Well, I personally wouldn't eat any whale meat but I can see the advantage in using whales as a food source provided a steady population could be available. And if whales are currently endangered then yes I think there should be a ban on hunting them for food or another purpose until they get back to a stronger population level. But like I said I can see how advantageous they would be used as food. You realize how many people one whale could feed? Some people here are vegan/vegetarian and I respect that. I am not and neither are a great many other people and it would be wrong to infringe on their freedoms to hunt creatures for food beyond necessary temporary bans when certain populations used for hunting are nearing dangerously low levels. I would rather not see a society like Seaquest: DSV where meat-eating was banned altogether. Would I ever become at the very least vegetarian one day? Maybe. Anything is possible. I'd consider it if those soy "meat" products I see in the organic sectin ever come down in cost and their texture and taste improved. I've had Boca Burgers before and they're actually not a bad substitute for the real thing.....

I personally don't eat whale meat because there's other fish I eat that I like much better....like marinated baked tilappia (sp?) fillets....yum....expensive when fresh like most seafood so I don't eat it often but yummy stuff

Lieutenant Colonel

I don’t have a problem with hunting a whale per say, if this is just talking about killing a whale for practical reason, like food. However only an idiot hunts a species to extinction, a good hunter should manage the species they are after, ensure that there are sufficient numbers so that they can continue to survive and provide a resource for the hunter. The fact that whales are endangered shows the idiocy of the whaling community. I’m a hunter, though obviously shooting rabbits and pheasants in England is a little different in scale to whale hunting. However the principle is the same, myself and fellow hunters and game keepers, we don’t over hunt and gamekeepers manage populations to make sure the numbers are kept up. After all it’s in our best interests to keep the population of these creatures high so there’s plenty of them for us to shoot for years to come.

Is science used as a smokescreen for whaling for other purposes?
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
    I don’t have a problem with hunting a whale per say, if this is just talking about killing a whale for practical reason, like food. However only an idiot hunts a species to extinction, a good hunter should manage the species they are after, ensure that there are sufficient numbers so that they can continue to survive and provide a resource for the hunter. The fact that whales are endangered shows the idiocy of the whaling community. I’m a hunter, though obviously shooting rabbits and pheasants in England is a little different in scale to whale hunting. However the principle is the same, myself and fellow hunters and game keepers, we don’t over hunt and gamekeepers manage populations to make sure the numbers are kept up. After all it’s in our best interests to keep the population of these creatures high so there’s plenty of them for us to shoot for years to come.
    indeed.....I don't hunt mainly cuz I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.....

I tried some skeet-shooting once at boy scout summer camp and I missed every single clay disc....the only one that broke did so cuz it hit the tree....

Absolutely!
    well I'd highly doubt science is being use as a smokescreen for hunting whales to extinction in ALL cases....but in some cases yeah it probably is