Page 1347 of 1347 FirstFirst ... 3478471247129713371344134513461347
Results 26,921 to 26,928 of 26928

Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Insults mean nothing to me, that's the point of my argument. Your resorting to them says a lot about you, however. As does resorting to semantics to refute my argument.
    Bullying isn't simply kid A insulting kid B....Cyberbullying isn't that either. You don't seem to know what it is at all.

Captain

No.
    Blackmail is Blackmail, which is illegal in its own right.
    Maliciously spreading damaging falsehoods is libel, also already illegal.
    And as far as boycotting or socially ostracizing someone, people have the right to choose whom they associate with. If my friends choose not to associate with little Jimmy, that is entirely our right. Or do you deny the freedom of association?
    Freedom of association is an individual thing. Orchestrating someone's boycott is not individual but collective action. It's mobbing.
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Bullying isn't simply kid A insulting kid B....Cyberbullying isn't that either. You don't seem to know what it is at all.
    Correct...in order for it to be bullying or cyberbullying it needs to be repeated and incessant harmful comments with the intent to harm the recipient. The recipient doesn't have to be a child. Adults can be bullyed/cyberbullyed as well.

I am currently in Facebook "jail" for a comment (one comment mind you) I made on to someone's post. It wasn't a personal attack nor did I use inflamitory language. However, that is the only reason I can think of that I'm in FB jail. However, a friend of mine recieves repeated sexual advances and inappropriate comments from men via FB, and she has never once been protected by the powers that be at FB. Due to comments posted, she even lost her job as a teacher. link to related news article about my friend's firing. Just an FYI...she started being bullyed by a member of a political party she was highly active in, and the guy hated a post she made...so he dug into her past.

So, while I've not been a victim of bullying or cyberbullying...I have seen the affects first hand. Not only was my friend cyberbullied by men on FB...she was also victimized by DISD as well. Thankfully, my friend is now a college professor and she runs a successful art business.

Quote Originally Posted by LtColCarter View Post
    Correct...in order for it to be bullying or cyberbullying it needs to be repeated and incessant harmful comments with the intent to harm the recipient. The recipient doesn't have to be a child. Adults can be bullyed/cyberbullyed as well.

I am currently in Facebook "jail" for a comment (one comment mind you) I made on to someone's post. It wasn't a personal attack nor did I use inflamitory language. However, that is the only reason I can think of that I'm in FB jail. However, a friend of mine recieves repeated sexual advances and inappropriate comments from men via FB, and she has never once been protected by the powers that be at FB. Due to comments posted, she even lost her job as a teacher. link to related news article about my friend's firing. Just an FYI...she started being bullyed by a member of a political party she was highly active in, and the guy hated a post she made...so he dug into her past.

So, while I've not been a victim of bullying or cyberbullying...I have seen the affects first hand. Not only was my friend cyberbullied by men on FB...she was also victimized by DISD as well. Thankfully, my friend is now a college professor and she runs a successful art business.
    And the people who do the censoring at facebook, like anyone else have biases. Perhaps you may have tripped one of his hot buttons.
    It is very difficult, if not impossible to completely remove all bias from a human.

This is one of the strongest reasons I prefer no censorship; let the speaker say whatever he wants and let the listener decide the value of what is said.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

And the people who do the censoring at facebook, like anyone else have biases. Perhaps you may have tripped one of his hot buttons.
    It is very difficult, if not impossible to completely remove all bias from a human.

This is one of the strongest reasons I prefer no censorship; let the speaker say whatever he wants and let the listener decide the value of what is said.
    In my case, yes...I may have tripped some undisclosed "hot button" and got placed in FB jail after over 8 years on the website without as much as a warning.

For my friend, she made a post and one of her extremist Libertarian "friends" got pissed off because he felt it went against the Libertarian platform. So, he dug into her past (of almost 20 years ago) and started posting it on FB. FB didn't do anything to protect her, and it definately fits in the category of cyberbullying.

Captain

That article is from February, is the case still ongoing or has it been settled now?

Edit: sorry missed the last line.

The internet isn't a one-on-one conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    The internet isn't a one-on-one conversation.
    How does that matter?

Those members of the audience that consider the speaker's words trash can ignore them and those that consider them worthy can pay attention to them, the same as in a one-on-one conversation.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine