This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
    Correct...in order for it to be bullying or cyberbullying it needs to be repeated and incessant harmful comments with the intent to harm the recipient. The recipient doesn't have to be a child. Adults can be bullyed/cyberbullyed as well.

I am currently in Facebook "jail" for a comment (one comment mind you) I made on to someone's post. It wasn't a personal attack nor did I use inflamitory language. However, that is the only reason I can think of that I'm in FB jail. However, a friend of mine recieves repeated sexual advances and inappropriate comments from men via FB, and she has never once been protected by the powers that be at FB. Due to comments posted, she even lost her job as a teacher. link to related news article about my friend's firing. Just an FYI...she started being bullyed by a member of a political party she was highly active in, and the guy hated a post she made...so he dug into her past.

So, while I've not been a victim of bullying or cyberbullying...I have seen the affects first hand. Not only was my friend cyberbullied by men on FB...she was also victimized by DISD as well. Thankfully, my friend is now a college professor and she runs a successful art business.
    I still don't understand how that works. "It looks like you have sex. Ooops, you're fired".
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
      I still don't understand how that works. "It looks like you have sex. Ooops, you're fired".
      It's not the sex Tood, it's the "prostitution"
      Forget the -GIRL- (cause that's what she was) was bullied into it, it's that she did it at all.
      She's a slut, always will be in the eyes of some, which is what emboldened men to be suggestive to her unwanted, and unwarranted, and when that failed, they used her past to coerce her yet again.
      That is not right, in any sense of the word.

LtColonelCarter.
      I don't know what kind if libertarian movement your friend was involved with, but they sure as S**t don't sound like libertarians, at least not the ones I know. Libertarians tend towards the dominance of self rather than "party" or "creed", and if she was -willing-, they should have no objection, and if she were coerced, they should DEFEND her rather than crap on her.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
        How does that matter?

Those members of the audience that consider the speaker's words trash can ignore them and those that consider them worthy can pay attention to them, the same as in a one-on-one conversation.
        You don't even understand how a conversation works.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
          You don't even understand how a conversation works.
          What exactly is your opposition to allowing everyone to have their say, and let the listener decide the value of what is said? Is it that you don't want to take a chance on people liking an idea you don't?

Comment

What exactly is your opposition to allowing everyone to have their say, and let the listener decide the value of what is said? Is it that you don't want to take a chance on people liking an idea you don't?
            you assume that people will actually listen in full and make careful, properly informed judgement. Reality tells us the opposite. The internet is full of fake stories that never get fact checked, yet nevertheless shape popular perception. People found it out with Brexit, but also Trump.

Hell, recently a Fox anchor went against his network's popular narrative of the uranium one deal and people hated him for it, despite telling the truth. Many people are against climate change for poorly explained reasons, the same for antivaxxers or other "truthers" out there. Which is all fun and games until they walk in on their victims with automatic weapons or start handing out death threats to mass shooting survivors.

You imply that everyone's voice is worth hearing, even though we've seen repeatedly that some people are at their best when they shut up. Your method legitimizes people with truly despicable motives, like the shooting truthers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
              That article is from February, is the case still ongoing or has it been settled now?

Edit: sorry missed the last line.
              She actually gave up fighting it. Even if she were to get her job back...how could she go back to the school after everything that was made public?

The district claims that it violated the moral turpitude clause of our contracts. Even though this was something she did almost two decades ago and under duress. In actuality, it was all about saving face. If this dude hadn't posted the information on Facebook, the district would've been fine with it. There are several teachers in my district who are adult entertainers...according to what HR told my friend. As long as it is not made public or accessible via the internet the district turns a blind eye to it.

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              It's not the sex Tood, it's the "prostitution"
              Forget the -GIRL- (cause that's what she was) was bullied into it, it's that she did it at all.
              She's a slut, always will be in the eyes of some, which is what emboldened men to be suggestive to her unwanted, and unwarranted, and when that failed, they used her past to coerce her yet again.
              That is not right, in any sense of the word.

LtColonelCarter.
              I don't know what kind if libertarian movement your friend was involved with, but they sure as S**t don't sound like libertarians, at least not the ones I know. Libertarians tend towards the dominance of self rather than "party" or "creed", and if she was -willing-, they should have no objection, and if she were coerced, they should DEFEND her rather than crap on her.
              Well, it wasn't prostitution per se. While I'm not defending the district, it was viewed as a violation of the moral turpitude clause of our contracts as I explained above. Personally, I felt the district made her suffer through a traumatic experience in her life again.

Oh Lord, most of the Libertarians I know are nut jobs. My friend was almost hit by a speeding driver. Later down the road, she said the driver that almost hit her was pulled over by the cops. She posted this on FB...it was this post that caused a male Libertarian to delve into her past. He dug so deep, that he even discovered her stage name. She had told me about this when we were becoming close friends, but she never mentioned her stage name.

Around here the there is a lot of in-fighting and drama among Libertarian party members. They definitely don't adhere to the published party platform.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                you assume that people will actually listen in full and make careful, properly informed judgement. Reality tells us the opposite. The internet is full of fake stories that never get fact checked, yet nevertheless shape popular perception. People found it out with Brexit, but also Trump.

Hell, recently a Fox anchor went against his network's popular narrative of the uranium one deal and people hated him for it, despite telling the truth. Many people are against climate change for poorly explained reasons, the same for antivaxxers or other "truthers" out there. Which is all fun and games until they walk in on their victims with automatic weapons or start handing out death threats to mass shooting survivors.

You imply that everyone's voice is worth hearing, even though we've seen repeatedly that some people are at their best when they shut up. Your method legitimizes people with truly despicable motives, like the shooting truthers.
                But that is what "free speech" is. I am not saying everyone's ideas are sane, not by a long shot. I'm saying everyone should be able to voice their opinion and views.
                But as I suspected, you favor censorship in order to prevent views that you don't agree with from being expressed because you fear someone might pay attention to them.

How about we turn that around. There are an awful lot of people on the left, right up to and including Hilary and Obama who espouse views that I think are nuts and not worthy of consideration.

Those people should be censored too, right?

Comment

You already tried that argument and it failed
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

But that is what "free speech" is.
                    No. Free speech is that you can't be arrested for what you say. Free speech still means that people can ask you to be silent or leave, free speech still means you can be banned from fora.

But as I suspected, you favor censorship in order to prevent views that you don't agree with from being expressed because you fear someone might pay attention to them.
                    No, that's just you projecting onto me. I already told you my true opinion earlier, this is a muddy grey area made of shades of grey, through a grey filter of grey greyness. It still means that we're wading through mud, yet you insist that there isn't.

Insisting that everyone can say whatever they want, means that there's no protection from trolls, nor protection from truly despicable, hateful people who harass victims.

How about we turn that around. There are an awful lot of people on the left, right up to and including Hilary and Obama who espouse views that I think are nuts and not worthy of consideration.
                    No idea with what this has to do with anything i said. I get the impression you're reading more into my posts than that i'm saying. I stopped talking about trump ages ago.

Without censorship, there is no protection for many things we want to be protected from. That you want to be protected from.

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                      She actually gave up fighting it. Even if she were to get her job back...how could she go back to the school after everything that was made public?
                      It's called a punitive damages. It's totally up to her and not everyone is up to the fight that would entail. But I that point it wouldn't be to get a job back but to punish the school district. If the district were to lose a lot of money, they might think twice before doing that sort of thing in the future.

The district claims that it violated the moral turpitude clause of our contracts. Even though this was something she did almost two decades ago and under duress. In actuality, it was all about saving face. If this dude hadn't posted the information on Facebook, the district would've been fine with it. There are several teachers in my district who are adult entertainers...according to what HR told my friend. As long as it is not made public or accessible via the internet the district turns a blind eye to it.
                      Basically they wanted her to be a nun. And even then, that too might have gotten her fired.

Well, it wasn't prostitution per se. While I'm not defending the district, it was viewed as a violation of the moral turpitude clause of our contracts as I explained above. Personally, I felt the district made her suffer through a traumatic experience in her life again.
                      I think GF is going off on something else?

Oh Lord, most of the Libertarians I know are nut jobs. My friend was almost hit by a speeding driver. Later down the road, she said the driver that almost hit her was pulled over by the cops. She posted this on FB...it was this post that caused a male Libertarian to delve into her past. He dug so deep, that he even discovered her stage name. She had told me about this when we were becoming close friends, but she never mentioned her stage name.

Around here the there is a lot of in-fighting and drama among Libertarian party members. They definitely don't adhere to the published party platform.

You have pretty wild sect...what region do you live in again?
                      By Nolamom
                      sigpic

Comment

What would society be like if there were no rich or poor and everyone had the same wealth?
                        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

I believe they call that communism
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Communism or not, has any human society that has ever existed on Earth ever achieved that?
                            As I recall, Communism has people on the top and people on the bottom. But in that case, it was the party elite that lived comfortably rather than the financially successful.

Comment

Communism or not, has any human society that has ever existed on Earth ever achieved that?
                              Yea. Though you'd have to go back pretty much 4000-5000 years.

Comment

I think GF is going off on something else?
                                You would be correct Tood.
                                The false prudishness of the US disgusts me
                                Where they draw it from disgusts me more.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X