This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Political Discussion Thread

By participating in this thread, you agree to follow the rules of this thread (listed below) and the rules of GW, and acknowledge that if you violate any of the below rules, you may be held accountable.

Since we were/are getting off topic in the "language of the right: does it incite violence" thread, I decided to create a general political discussion thread, where there can be a general discussion of varying political topics...

There are a few rules in this thread!
    1. Remain courteous and respectful to others at all times.
    2. Do not make personally directed attacks on any other user (for example, it is acceptable to accuse someone of making a "dumb proposition" (i.e.: "that's a terrible idea, <member>, <reasons why>) but it is not acceptable to accuse someone of being "dumb" (i.e.: "How stupid are you?, <member>...).
    3. In accordance with GW's rules, all posts must be PG-friendly (i.e. no inappropriate language, etc).
    4. Please do not post any hateful or racially, sexually or ethnically objectionable material.
    5. This is a discussion thread regarding politics, not religion (however, discussion topics that intertwine both religion and politics are acceptable), but if you want to discuss issues that are purely religious, please visit this thread.
    6. Rules for this thread may be modified at the discretion of the GateWorld forum moderators/admins, if they make any such requests.

Notice: If you feel there is a post in this thread that is not in compliance with any of the above rules, please report the said post(s).

Let's begin the discussion!
    Last edited by Rickington; 21 June 2011, 08:39 PM.
    sigpic
    Don't touch Lola

Don't we have about a 100 general political threads
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Perhaps, but the other topic was becoming way off-topic, so I thought I would create a general (the argument can flow in any direction ) thread.
      sigpic
      Don't touch Lola

Comment

Originally posted by Rickington View Post
        Perhaps, but the other topic was becoming way off-topic, so I thought I would create a general (the argument can flow in any direction ) thread.
        Thier are more then a few general threads created over the years.
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          Thier are more then a few general threads created over the years.
          But they're all boring and buried
          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Perhaps, but the other topic was becoming way off-topic
            Isn't everything in politics off-topic? Name one thing a politician can talk about without either getting into trouble, someone changing the subject or someone trying to hurt that politician and his believes with personal attacks?

sigpic

Comment

The one draw back I see to a general, as opposed to a specific thread to discuss a specific issue, is that it is amazingly easy to derail a political discussion. I think I'd prefer to discuss a single issue as it comes up, and stick to that issue as closely as possible. Sure, other threads can be derailed but there's a remedy for that. There is no remedy to get a topic back on topic if it's so general
              sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                The one draw back I see to a general, as opposed to a specific thread to discuss a specific issue, is that it is amazingly easy to derail a political discussion. I think I'd prefer to discuss a single issue as it comes up, and stick to that issue as closely as possible. Sure, other threads can be derailed but there's a remedy for that. There is no remedy to get a topic back on topic if it's so general
                Hey I happen to like free wheeling discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
                  Hey I happen to like free wheeling discussion.
                  So do I .
                  sigpic
                  Don't touch Lola

Comment

Whaling for what purpose?

"Scientific research" whaling or whaling for food?
                    sigpic
                    Don't touch Lola

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman
                      Since nothing is off the table...

...what are your thoughts on the politics of whaling?
                      There is nothing whatsoever advantageous to anyone about whaling! And certainly none for the whales!

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                        There is nothing whatsoever advantageous to anyone about whaling! And certainly none for the whales!
                        Agreed! Whaling is a serious crime in my book.
                        sigpic
                        Don't touch Lola

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman
                          Since nothing is off the table...

...what are your thoughts on the politics of whaling?
                          Whaling itself - it's wrong to murder endangered animals. Trying to get around the law is wrong.
                          As for the politics of whaling - it's fuelled by the money obtained in something that ought to be illegal, so I don't think much of the politics of whaling, or politicians that support whaling.
                          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I think whaling should for food should be 100% band for the time being until they get back to a strong population size. I don't know why whales need to be killed for 'scientific purposes' but if they do then it needs to be severely limited not to extent of the Japanese. I also wouldn't condemn groups like Sea Shepherd as long as they don't target the whalers with anything that permanently hurt them.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                              I see no problem with conducting non-lethal scientific studies on whales, but I assume that the type of whaling being discussed is the kind that's lethal to the whale population. Well, I personally wouldn't eat any whale meat but I can see the advantage in using whales as a food source provided a steady population could be available. And if whales are currently endangered then yes I think there should be a ban on hunting them for food or another purpose until they get back to a stronger population level. But like I said I can see how advantageous they would be used as food. You realize how many people one whale could feed? Some people here are vegan/vegetarian and I respect that. I am not and neither are a great many other people and it would be wrong to infringe on their freedoms to hunt creatures for food beyond necessary temporary bans when certain populations used for hunting are nearing dangerously low levels. I would rather not see a society like Seaquest: DSV where meat-eating was banned altogether. Would I ever become at the very least vegetarian one day? Maybe. Anything is possible. I'd consider it if those soy "meat" products I see in the organic sectin ever come down in cost and their texture and taste improved. I've had Boca Burgers before and they're actually not a bad substitute for the real thing.....

Comment

Working...
                              X