Page 1364 of 1364 FirstFirst ... 3648641264131413541361136213631364
Results 27,261 to 27,280 of 27280
  1. #27261
    Captain Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    1,954

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Better to have someone on either side of the fence instead of a guy who eats the fence
    You might not say that if the country has been moving in the wrong direction (according to you) for a few decades now....
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  2. #27262
    Captain
    Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,339

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Pops View Post
    Why did governments get out of running essential utilities like water, gas, and electricity?

    Privitisation I feel has been a huge con job.

    Here in Australia we have like over 10 retailers selling you the SAME electricity at different rates. It's an absurd situation, and for a first world country we seem to have problems with generating that in itself and issues in Summer with lack of electricity. It's a joke.
    Because the respective country was bankrupt and privatising utilities in the name of 'competition' gave said country a short term influx of income to stave off the wolves at the door for a decade or two and pay the pensions of those doing the selling.

    It essentially added a middle man / agent between the state owned utility (Government) and the end user (you and me) that paid bucket loads of cash for the privilege of buying from the utility and selling to us. Same thing happened here in the UK in the 80-90's with electricity, railways, gas etc. They're now privatising roads through the back door and we'll probably end up paying a per-mile cost to use these new roads.

    One of these types of 'public sector contractor', Carillain, has just gone bust in the most spectacular way because their directors awarded themselves huge bonuses while not paying their contractors, they essentially were involved in a huge pyramid scheme and its eventually collapsed on itself.

  3. #27263

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    You might not say that if the country has been moving in the wrong direction (according to you) for a few decades now....
    Yes I would. Many of us have tried to point out to you their issues more important than politics. I'd rather have someone I disagree politically than someone who is crazy and always picking fights
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  4. #27264
    Colonel
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Travelling the river Iss
    Posts
    6,960

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian-S View Post
    Because the respective country was bankrupt and privatising utilities in the name of 'competition' gave said country a short term influx of income to stave off the wolves at the door for a decade or two and pay the pensions of those doing the selling.

    It essentially added a middle man / agent between the state owned utility (Government) and the end user (you and me) that paid bucket loads of cash for the privilege of buying from the utility and selling to us. Same thing happened here in the UK in the 80-90's with electricity, railways, gas etc. They're now privatising roads through the back door and we'll probably end up paying a per-mile cost to use these new roads.

    One of these types of 'public sector contractor', Carillain, has just gone bust in the most spectacular way because their directors awarded themselves huge bonuses while not paying their contractors, they essentially were involved in a huge pyramid scheme and its eventually collapsed on itself.


    I don't recall Australia being bankrupt, or did you mean the UK?

    Is Carillain a UK corporation? What kind of things did they run?

  5. #27265
    Brigadier General aretood2's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Contemplating the meaning of Logic
    Posts
    9,920

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Nothing manufactured by humans is perfect. There will be accidents, some will be the fault of the human, but some will be the fault of the automated car.
    How many trucking companies, who would be the "user" will risk their financial future for the manufacturer's flaws? How many people will?
    Plenty, it seems. So far, no computer operated mechanism has lead to a lawsuit against a company over the programmed capabilities of said mechanism. I don't see how driving would be much different.

    The fact remains that we already have an established, legal process for people to migrate here and become citizens. Why do we need to grant amnesty of any kind to those who sneak in? And if we do (again), what does that say to the millions who have patiently worked through the system legally?
    A legal process you and Trump wany severely limited if not gone all together.

  6. #27266
    General Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    30,873

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Question about driverless trucks -- we all realise that they still need to be there, right, to unload the goods they are moving, or assist in the unloading?

    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1201&dateline=1311771170
    icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

  7. #27267
    Lieutenant Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    4,712

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Question about driverless trucks -- we all realise that they still need to be there, right, to unload the goods they are moving, or assist in the unloading?

    Nah, that's what the storeman is for. Trust me, drivers don't unload jack.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet

  8. #27268
    General Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    30,873

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    Nah, that's what the storeman is for. Trust me, drivers don't unload jack.
    They do here. Really, over here, they glare at you if you dare suggest you help out.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1201&dateline=1311771170
    icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

  9. #27269
    Lieutenant Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    4,712

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    They do here. Really, over here, they glare at you if you dare suggest you help out.
    Then that must be classed as part of their job. Here, drivers just drive.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet

  10. #27270
    Captain Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    1,954

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Question about driverless trucks -- we all realise that they still need to be there, right, to unload the goods they are moving, or assist in the unloading?

    Can go either way in the US.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  11. #27271
    Captain Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    1,954

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    A legal process you and Trump wany severely limited if not gone all together.
    Trump wants to change it to merit-based; the potential immigrant must benefit the U.S. And he's right. Why should we allow someone to migrate here simply to hop onto the welfare system's free-ride train? They can go into their native country's welfare program.

    He also wants to end chain migration; where one person obtains legal status and then brings in a few carloads of relatives. That's a good idea too.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  12. #27272
    Lieutenant Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    4,712

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Trump wants to change it to merit-based; the potential immigrant must benefit the U.S. And he's right. Why should we allow someone to migrate here simply to hop onto the welfare system's free-ride train? They can go into their native country's welfare program.

    He also wants to end chain migration; where one person obtains legal status and then brings in a few carloads of relatives. That's a good idea too.
    You understand that any skilled migrant will take your jobs as well, right?
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet

  13. #27273
    General Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    30,873

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Can go either way in the US.
    I remembered our guys talking about unloading our props for the Celebration conventions. They are never allowed to do that in the US. That's always done by workers.
    They can do what they like with them once outside the containers but for the unloading part they have to step aside (and we load them ourselves so that's always a bit ridiculous).

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Trump wants to change it to merit-based; the potential immigrant must benefit the U.S. And he's right. Why should we allow someone to migrate here simply to hop onto the welfare system's free-ride train? They can go into their native country's welfare program.
    Well, in the US might find jobs and not have to be on the welfare program, while in their own countries they are more likely to starf to death, get killed in a drugwar or because they wear the wrong color shirt or are the wrong religion, or the wrong color.

    Nevertheless, no more seasonal workers from Haiti from now on. They can no longer apply for short-term workvisas.
    I hope, the Americans are ready to do their own "dirty" jobs.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1201&dateline=1311771170
    icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

  14. #27274
    Captain Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    1,954

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    You understand that any skilled migrant will take your jobs as well, right?
    I was talking about Trump's ideas about this. I don't agree with him on everything. If I had my way, immigration levels would be kept low until all domestic employment needs are met. If this means the company has to retrain workers at their expense, so be it, but they should not be able to import workers to take those jobs. Particularly when as has been seen with Microsoft and other large companies, they are simply firing qualified domestic workers to hire green card / etc. immigrants at lower wages.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  15. #27275
    Lieutenant Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    4,712

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    I was talking about Trump's ideas about this.
    Trump has NO idea's, he gets spoon-fed bull****.
    I don't agree with him on everything. If I had my way, immigration levels would be kept low until all domestic employment needs are met.
    You do realise that will never happen, right?
    If this means the company has to retrain workers at their expense, so be it, but they should not be able to import workers to take those jobs. Particularly when as has been seen with Microsoft and other large companies, they are simply firing qualified domestic workers to hire green card / etc. immigrants at lower wages.
    My my, how anti capitalist of you, you must be a Soros worshiping lefty............
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet

  16. #27276
    Lieutenant Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    4,712

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    You might not say that if the country has been moving in the wrong direction (according to you) for a few decades now....
    Now that WE have entertained your notions, will you have the decorum to entertain ours?
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet

  17. #27277
    Captain Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    1,954

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    Now that WE have entertained your notions, will you have the decorum to entertain ours?
    Not sure what you're asking here. I'm saying that because we've been moving in the wrong direction for several decades, including under Republican administrations, (hence the term RINO), people of my viewpoint might be more willing to accept someone like Trump, warts and all because it's the only shot we have of moving in the right direction.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  18. #27278

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    That argument didn't work last time you presented it. It makes no sense to choose a crazy person just because you don't like the way things are going politically
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  19. #27279
    Brigadier General aretood2's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Contemplating the meaning of Logic
    Posts
    9,920

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    They do here. Really, over here, they glare at you if you dare suggest you help out.
    Not here in the US from my father's experience. He did a stint as a driver for a few months and then decided to go back to agriculture. Let that fact sink in for a minute...

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Trump wants to change it to merit-based; the potential immigrant must benefit the U.S. And he's right. Why should we allow someone to migrate here simply to hop onto the welfare system's free-ride train? They can go into their native country's welfare program.
    You remember the saying "If it ain't broken, don't fix it"? Well...who said it's broken? Immigrants who come here more often than not get jobs and pay taxes. So you're pretty much asking for a solution to a problem that really isn't as big of a problem as there is. And it seems to me that the more logical solution is to make it fix the welfare system instead of going after immigration. Unless of course the issue really isn't about welfare...

    He also wants to end chain migration; where one person obtains legal status and then brings in a few carloads of relatives. That's a good idea too.
    No. First you all claim that it's about illegal immigrants who willfully break the law and come here. Then after that you all start to claim that it doesn't matter if one willfully broke the law, just the mere fact of being here illegally is enough to get kicked out (That is, the DACA people). Then you don't stop there, then you move on to temporary work visas given to legal immigrants, you want to end that. Now it's this "Chain Migration" term you've invented (A very anti-life term...or should I say pro-choice?) claiming that some how it is wrong to bring families together while claiming that the GOP is about family values. Then what is your next step? Good old traditional immigration, you want to end that too. And I only ask, what comes after your so called "Merit based" immigration? Wait, you already said it, virtually no immigration at all because you set this impossible fantasy of "full employment".

    Yeah, the GOP is full blown anti immigrant. And Trump has done a wonderful job of proving that. And so have you and those who support him.


    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Not sure what you're asking here. I'm saying that because we've been moving in the wrong direction for several decades, including under Republican administrations, (hence the term RINO), people of my viewpoint might be more willing to accept someone like Trump, warts and all because it's the only shot we have of moving in the right direction.
    You had 15 other options in the primaries. You have no real excuse.

  20. #27280
    Lieutenant Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    4,712

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Not sure what you're asking here. I'm saying that because we've been moving in the wrong direction for several decades, including under Republican administrations, (hence the term RINO), people of my viewpoint might be more willing to accept someone like Trump, warts and all because it's the only shot we have of moving in the right direction.
    I thought it would be pretty obvious.
    You asked people to put themselves in your shoes, so I did, put yourself in mine.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3363
    Last Post: March 5th, 2008, 11:02 AM
  2. Political Discussion: The proper place of the Law
    By uknesvuinng in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 28th, 2007, 12:37 PM
  3. The WW2 Discussion Thread
    By the_dark_light in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: July 20th, 2007, 01:12 AM
  4. X-Men III Discussion Thread
    By twiggy in forum Marvel Universe (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.)
    Replies: 138
    Last Post: October 6th, 2006, 11:12 PM
  5. Replies: 38
    Last Post: August 25th, 2004, 09:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •