This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Seen the latest Madam Secretary episode by chance.

A situation arrives in which they vote on invoking section 4 of the 25th Amendment, when Dalton goes off his rockers. When they are talking before voting, they mention a shadow government -- keep Dalton in place (off his rockers) and keep him out of the public's eye while the people behind the scenes make the rules and rule the country.

I believe that's what's happening right now in your bananan republic. While the attention is on the Idiot in the WH, the GOP rules the place. However, I bet you anything they are already working on their strategy to not loose face in November when their seats are up for grabs.

Saw another flip in senate-seat special elections this morning, in an area where Trump won in the elections. I believe, people are waking up -- far too late, but nothing can be done about that now.
    Don't watch that show, so just going from your description..

And from the point of view of a person who is generally on the right side of the fence, isn't letting the Republicans run the show in that manner better than letting the Democrats push us farther to the left?

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      And from the point of view of a person who is generally on the right side of the fence, isn't letting the Republicans run the show in that manner better than letting the Democrats push us farther to the left?
      From my viewpoint, you're letting the people who only care about themselves run the show. Who do you think's going to come out for the better. It sure ain't you and the rest of the common folk.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Don't watch that show, so just going from your description..

Better to have someone on either side of the fence instead of a guy who eats the fence
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          Better to have someone on either side of the fence instead of a guy who eats the fence
          You might not say that if the country has been moving in the wrong direction (according to you) for a few decades now....

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
            Why did governments get out of running essential utilities like water, gas, and electricity?

Privitisation I feel has been a huge con job.

Here in Australia we have like over 10 retailers selling you the SAME electricity at different rates. It's an absurd situation, and for a first world country we seem to have problems with generating that in itself and issues in Summer with lack of electricity. It's a joke.
            Because the respective country was bankrupt and privatising utilities in the name of 'competition' gave said country a short term influx of income to stave off the wolves at the door for a decade or two and pay the pensions of those doing the selling.

It essentially added a middle man / agent between the state owned utility (Government) and the end user (you and me) that paid bucket loads of cash for the privilege of buying from the utility and selling to us. Same thing happened here in the UK in the 80-90's with electricity, railways, gas etc. They're now privatising roads through the back door and we'll probably end up paying a per-mile cost to use these new roads.

One of these types of 'public sector contractor', Carillain, has just gone bust in the most spectacular way because their directors awarded themselves huge bonuses while not paying their contractors, they essentially were involved in a huge pyramid scheme and its eventually collapsed on itself.

Comment

You might not say that if the country has been moving in the wrong direction (according to you) for a few decades now....
              Yes I would. Many of us have tried to point out to you their issues more important than politics. I'd rather have someone I disagree politically than someone who is crazy and always picking fights
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                Because the respective country was bankrupt and privatising utilities in the name of 'competition' gave said country a short term influx of income to stave off the wolves at the door for a decade or two and pay the pensions of those doing the selling.

It essentially added a middle man / agent between the state owned utility (Government) and the end user (you and me) that paid bucket loads of cash for the privilege of buying from the utility and selling to us. Same thing happened here in the UK in the 80-90's with electricity, railways, gas etc. They're now privatising roads through the back door and we'll probably end up paying a per-mile cost to use these new roads.

One of these types of 'public sector contractor', Carillain, has just gone bust in the most spectacular way because their directors awarded themselves huge bonuses while not paying their contractors, they essentially were involved in a huge pyramid scheme and its eventually collapsed on itself.

I don't recall Australia being bankrupt, or did you mean the UK?

Is Carillain a UK corporation? What kind of things did they run?
                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Nothing manufactured by humans is perfect. There will be accidents, some will be the fault of the human, but some will be the fault of the automated car.
                  How many trucking companies, who would be the "user" will risk their financial future for the manufacturer's flaws? How many people will?
                  Plenty, it seems. So far, no computer operated mechanism has lead to a lawsuit against a company over the programmed capabilities of said mechanism. I don't see how driving would be much different.

The fact remains that we already have an established, legal process for people to migrate here and become citizens. Why do we need to grant amnesty of any kind to those who sneak in? And if we do (again), what does that say to the millions who have patiently worked through the system legally?
                  A legal process you and Trump wany severely limited if not gone all together.
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

Question about driverless trucks -- we all realise that they still need to be there, right, to unload the goods they are moving, or assist in the unloading?

Comment

Question about driverless trucks -- we all realise that they still need to be there, right, to unload the goods they are moving, or assist in the unloading?

Nah, that's what the storeman is for. Trust me, drivers don't unload jack.
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                        Nah, that's what the storeman is for. Trust me, drivers don't unload jack.
                        They do here. Really, over here, they glare at you if you dare suggest you help out.

Comment

They do here. Really, over here, they glare at you if you dare suggest you help out.
                          Then that must be classed as part of their job. Here, drivers just drive.
                          sigpic

Comment

Can go either way in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                              A legal process you and Trump wany severely limited if not gone all together.
                              Trump wants to change it to merit-based; the potential immigrant must benefit the U.S. And he's right. Why should we allow someone to migrate here simply to hop onto the welfare system's free-ride train? They can go into their native country's welfare program.

He also wants to end chain migration; where one person obtains legal status and then brings in a few carloads of relatives. That's a good idea too.

Comment

Trump wants to change it to merit-based; the potential immigrant must benefit the U.S. And he's right. Why should we allow someone to migrate here simply to hop onto the welfare system's free-ride train? They can go into their native country's welfare program.

He also wants to end chain migration; where one person obtains legal status and then brings in a few carloads of relatives. That's a good idea too.
                                You understand that any skilled migrant will take your jobs as well, right?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X