This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KEK View Post
    It will, it has to. The Monarch needs to be apolitical, at least in public, and Charles is anything but. Personally I'm for keeping the monarchy in the UK at least, I think we get more from it than lose, but I do think the monarch should step down as head of the Church of England. The country is secular in spirit, and a head of state also being head of a church just doesn't seem right.
    And that, I fully agree with.

Aside from the fact that I don't like Camilla.

EDIT: Also, I don't think the House of Lords should have Lords Spiritual.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

So apparently, Texas is now not providing death row inmates with their last meal. Nice...
      My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Originally posted by Goose View Post
        Actually, they're still providing a last meal, just not whatever the prisoner requests. Just the same as what everybody else gets. It's not like they're starving the folks before executing them.

BTW, this particular inmate, was found guilty of a particularly heinous crime -
        Brewer, a white supremacist, was sentenced to death for a high-profile race crime, chaining James Byrd to a pick-up truck and dragging him along a road.
        This happened in Jasper, Texas. I used to live there when I was very young. It's a small town in east Texas with lots of "good old boys" who are rather warped in their thinking.
        sigpic

Comment

I'd think that if his death sentence had been held back for some reason, the others on Death Row would have killed him for losing their choice of last meal.

That said, I doubt regardless of how much food is ordered, there is always going to be a person who just can't eat knowing they are going to be killed. If it gets too warm I can lose my my appetite, not sure how I'd react to being killed.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
            I really hope he abdicates in favour of William.
            Never going to happen.

What is it that is wrong with Charles he seems like alright guy with charity work and that.

I also agree the monarch shouldn't be the head of the Church of England.
            Last edited by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble; 24 September 2011, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
              Never going to happen.

What is it that is wrong with Charles he seems like alright guy with charity work and that.

I also agree the monarch should be the head of the Church of England.
              Oh, I have no problem with his charity work. However, he gets far too involved in political matters, and considering that the monarch is traditionally apolitical, it could upset the balance of Parliament.

Should or shouldn't?
              If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
              Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
              If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
              Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Oh, I have no problem with his charity work. However, he gets far too involved in political matters, and considering that the monarch is traditionally apolitical, it could upset the balance of Parliament.
                I agree.

Also, if the Queen lives as long as her mother, Charles could be 80 when he ascends the throne. Considering all the duties he will have to perform (at home and abroad), it isn't a great idea to have such an elderly monarch. I don't want to see a trend of elderly monarchs ascending the throne.
                sigpic
                http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Never going to happen.
                  I'd be extremely surprised if it didn't.

Comment

this guy at least we know was guilty (of particularly heinous stuff too) heck he even bragged about it. I don't support capital punishment regardless of crime, but I won't exactly weep over his execution

on the other hand it's surprising that no one has mentioned Troy Davis. you know, the chap whose execution was making headlines just a few days ago ? (or is it for some reason taboo ?)

anyway at this point it's not so much his guilt that's the issue (for now we'll never know if he was guilty or not) but the fact that he was executed solely on the basis of eyewitness testimony - and tbh that pisses me off
                    isn't the death penalty in the Land Of The Free™ supposedely applied only when guilt is "beyond reasonable doubt" ?

Comment

Should or shouldn't?
                      For example?

Sorry that should say shouldn't

I'd be extremely surprised if it didn't.
                      Hes been waiting all his life to become king I don't see him giving it up.

Comment

Hes been waiting all his life to become king I don't see him giving it up.
                        I don't see him having much choice in the matter. He'll be under immense pressure from all sides to do it.

Comment

I don't see him having much choice in the matter. He'll be under immense pressure from all sides to do it.
                          Not from all sides. Regardless, it is his right. He's the Prince of Wales. There is no Constitutional provision to remove him. Queen Elizabeth will never abdicate - she has always fought for the royal dynasty which includes her first-born son, Charles. The elder generation of Brits will never tolerate it, although younger people likely would prefer William.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                            Not from all sides. Regardless, it is his right. He's the Prince of Wales. There is no Constitutional provision to remove him. Queen Elizabeth will never abdicate - she has always fought for the royal dynasty which includes her first-born son, Charles. The elder generation of Brits will never tolerate it, although younger people likely would prefer William.
                            I don't think there's any talk of forcibly removing him from the throne, but rather... arguing, shall we say... to abdicate in favour of William. And there is certainly a precedence from abdication.
                            My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

I don't think there's any talk of forcibly removing him from the throne, but rather... arguing, shall we say... to abdicate in favour of William. And there is certainly a precedence from abdication.
                              He's likely to be fairly old when he ascends to the throne and consequently his reign will be short. I just can't see him giving it up - not after waiting for perhaps 70 or even up to 80 years.
                              sigpic

Comment

Has he been waiting though? It seems fairly widely accepted in the UK than William will be next to the throne. If Charles cared that much about it, he'd have stayed apolitical and kept himself a viable monarch.

Comment

Working...
                                X