Page 503 of 1627 FirstFirst ... 340345349350050150250350450550651355360310031503 ... LastLast
Results 10,041 to 10,060 of 32526

Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

speaking of LSOS' betraying the constitution, Bush junior is one fine example (with his Patriot Act & Homeland Security Act). an LLSOS in fact

Quote Originally Posted by SoulReaver View Post
    speaking of LSOS' betraying the constitution, Bush junior is one fine example (with his Patriot Act & Homeland Security Act). an LLSOS in fact
    Have you ever seen me write praise for Bush II?
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Have you ever seen me write praise for Bush II?
    no but that PPOP never got nearly as much hate as he deserved (especially since he held much more power as president than Obama did)

no but that POS never got nearly as much hate as he deserved (especially since he held much more power as president than Obama did)
    He didn't come close to getting what he deserved. He should have been impeached for ignoring the Constitution.

Everyone likes to blame the LSoS for the TARP bailouts of GM, Chrysler and some of the banks, such as Bank of America? I think it was. But those were pretty much done deals, negotiated and agreed to by Bush II's administration before the LSoS even won the election in '08. All he did was sign the documents that Bush left on the desk as he left.

The Constitution does not grant the federal government the authority or ability to bail out a failing private business. Doing so violates the Constitution, so you have grounds right there.

And I don't even want to discuss the Patriot Act or other losses of constitutional protections he championed. He shouldn't even have still been in office to bail out GM,Chrysler & the banks.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."

The Constitution does not grant the federal government the authority or ability to bail out a failing private business. Doing so violates the Constitution, so you have grounds right there.
    hey I'm the first to oppose anything remotely approaching corporate welfare

I tend not to discriminate. I dislike all welfare, corporate, personal or otherwise. In the long run, it does more harm than good in most cases.

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Regarding the Iran deal: Obama is using the UN to bypass the need to get the Congress to approve the deal:

..snip..

Obama as shrewd a politician as he is malicious.
    How in gods green earth is that legal?

WTF? So he not only has badgered the Scotus, but is now removing the need for congress.
    But at least the media called him out on it, unlike they are doing with Obama.

I tend not to discriminate. I dislike all welfare, corporate, personal or otherwise. In the long run, it does more harm than good in most cases.
    I used to be ok with it, helping the helpless. BUT these days i am so sick of all they get, that i no longer support ANY Government welfare.

Captain
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post

Originally Posted by Annoyed
    I used to be ok with it, helping the helpless. BUT these days i am so sick of all they get, that i no longer support ANY Government welfare.
    That's pretty much where I am too. I have no problem whatsoever giving someone who has fallen on hard luck a hand up. I myself have taken advantage of such programs. But there are so many professional leeches gaming the system for their permanent livelihoods and the livelihoods of their offspring as well that I'd be happy to stop all of it.

But that help is to provide the basics so someone can keep their existence going while they take whatever corrective action is required, on a temporary basis. It should not include cell phones, smart phones, internet access, computers, tablets and whatnot. These are not "the basics". They are luxuries. Granted many tasks are easier with these tools, but too freaking bad.
    Temporary help should also not include increases for having additional children while unable to support ones self, or any other luxuries, either. The cause of pregnancy is well documented these days. Having a child while being unable to support yourself, let alone the child is one of the most irresponsible behaviors I can imagine., and should not be encouraged or tolerated.

Colonel

Who the hell is handing them all this stuff to use?

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Pops View Post
    Who the hell is handing them all this stuff to use?
    IMO they stole it from Syrian military troops. Afterall The Syrians did get called out on using it on their own people..

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    IMO they stole it from Syrian military troops. Afterall The Syrians did get called out on using it on their own people..

They are either very lucky or very well supplied. Or something else..

And, just like cell phones, Internet connectivity and having a computer are LUXURIES. If someone wants these things, fine. They can go buy them. With their own money, not that of the taxpayer.

Perhaps the teachers should be more cognizant of the limitations of their classes when designing their programs. Don't require computers.

An awful lot of people have gone through the schools very successfully without them.

Here's the thing. I specifically said that teachers are under "immense pressure" as in "not their choice" as in "do it or get fired" as in "Even if they wanted to return to nothing but wood pencils and chalkboards, the administration wouldn't allow it." And yet, somehow you manage to blame teachers.

The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

Its never the teacher's fault. Its always because the administrators or state requires the teachers to do this

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Its never the teacher's fault. Its always because the administrators or state requires the teachers to do this
    To be honest, it's reality's fault. The fact that we live in a technological era where if you want to do more than collect trash (before robots take those jobs) or flip burgers (before robots take that too) you need to have more than social knowledge of computers and the collaborative skill needed in today's job market among most if not all professions. That is, if your society wants to remain relevant in the 1st world.

Education can't be static, so not many teachers are refusing or pushing back against requirements to incorporate technology in and outside of the classroom. It's just that it is ridiculous to solely lay blame on teachers "not being cognizant" of their students. They are all to well aware of that, thus the desire for increased school funding so they could at least have devices for all students inside of school. Well, funding for working computers, faster networks, larger libraries ect...without getting paid less than what was spent in becoming a teacher would be nice too.

All that said, it still amazes me how the blame can be placed on those who have no control of a system that is inherently uncontrollable by said individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post

Here's the thing. I specifically said that teachers are under "immense pressure" as in "not their choice" as in "do it or get fired" as in "Even if they wanted to return to nothing but wood pencils and chalkboards, the administration wouldn't allow it." And yet, somehow you manage to blame teachers.
    I was using the phrase "teachers" as a reference to the entire public education system, particularly in the larger urban areas, where liberal polices have been the rule for decades.
    I'm a resident of The People's Republic of NY. One of the most liberal states in the U.S.
    Here are a few facts about a nearby large city school district.
    Cost per pupil:$20,333
    Graduation Rate: 43%

So, they're spending a hell of a lot of money, for very poor results. Where is the money going?

The spending gap is largely driven by employee salaries and benefits. Rochester spent $16,299 per student on salaries and benefits, compared with the median of $7,251 among other large districts.
    The entire public education system, along with most other areas of NY government, are run by and for the benefit of the government employees, and should be scrapped.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...hest/28413437/

I was using the phrase "teachers" as a reference to the entire public education system, particularly in the larger urban areas, where liberal polices have been the rule for decades.
    I'm a resident of The People's Republic of NY. One of the most liberal states in the U.S.
    Here are a few facts about a nearby large city school district.
    Cost per pupil:$20,333
    Graduation Rate: 43%

So, they're spending a hell of a lot of money, for very poor results. Where is the money going?

The entire public education system, along with most other areas of NY government, are run by and for the benefit of the government employees, and should be scrapped.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...hest/28413437/
    Umm............
    Would you care to stack those figures up against classroom size and cost of teacher?
    Look not to the teachers Annoyed, one might as well blame the checkout operator for the high cost of the products in the store they happen to work in.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    Umm............
    Would you care to stack those figures up against classroom size and cost of teacher?
    Look not to the teachers Annoyed, one might as well blame the checkout operator for the high cost of the products in the store they happen to work in.
    Did you not read where I said the entire public education system, not just the teachers?

Did you not read where I said the entire public education system, not just the teachers?
    No, I read it, I just saw who you actually blamed when it came to cost Vs return.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post

As a teacher who just completed 20 years in the classroom...you are correct. In my school district, we have to to MRSs (Multiple Response Strategies). Any effective teacher uses these normally, but my district wants us to insert them into our lessons artificially and not as a natural part of the learning process.

My students are the highest performing on my grade level in the district. Yet, I get marked down in a spot evaluations when my administrator comes in and doesn't see a MRS. I just don't understand why this happens. If my kids weren't performing well, I'd understand.

Besides district regulations, there are high stakes testing that comes from the state level. I've spent this summer writing curriculum for the district. The curriculum is all designed around the STAAR (State of Texas Assessment of Academic Readiness) test.

However, people making comments in this thread about teachers aren't in the classroom. This makes as much sense as members of congress (both state level and national level) making educational policy when they have no background in education. It makes as much sense as going to a trash collector to have neurosurgery.
    Last edited by LtColCarter; July 20th, 2015 at 08:03 AM.

Page 503 of 1627 FirstFirst ... 340345349350050150250350450550651355360310031503 ... LastLast