Page 1605 of 1618 FirstFirst ... 605110515051555159516021603160416051606160716081615 ... LastLast
Results 32,081 to 32,100 of 32351
  1. #32081
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,062

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    GF ? I think it was offered an explanation that US politics dominate because we are a superpower and our actions influence the world as a whole more than those of Australia or Canada for example.
    Pretty much.
    Just based on recent election results in AU., I think GF strongly disagrees with the lion's share of the people living there. Their flavor of conservatives just pulled an upset of Trumpian proportions at the polls. GF can't be happy with that, and he has said in the past he disagrees with AU's immigration policies. (I rather wish we would adopt at least some of them)
    I am neither happy, nor unhappy with it. Liberal policies will continue to bring down the deficit, which is a good thing. At the same time, it will also damage the infrastructure by selling off even more assets in order to do that, which is not ok. It's a balancing act, and the very reason I have voted both liberal and labour. I'm not beholden to party mentality, it's corrosive.

    As to the "conservative" issue, (which should not be confused with the liberal issue) That does not make me happy simply because that's where I really lean left. What I am seeing is the same repetition of the "moral majority" (and it's TEA party successor) which turned US politics far, far more partisan than it was before the rise of that wing of the republican party. I have said to you, many times before that were I an American, voting before that happened, chances are I would have voted republican.
    Basically, morality should have -very- little to do with politics. It can exist within law to a limited degree, and really should live in the realm of society. Politics and law should be predominantly about -ethics-, and ethics and morality are not the same thing.
    What is this about cats now?
    Feral cat's do a significant amount damage to native animals.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  2. #32082
    Colonel
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Travelling the river Iss
    Posts
    7,100

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread


  3. #32083
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,340

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Pops View Post
    Slate is bellyaching over Trump's use of the National Emergencies Act. Funny thing is, that act has been in place since the mid-70's and has been used many times, by each president since its passing.

    Their objection is simply because Trump is using it for an agenda they don't like.

    As far as use of the Insurrection Act to repel invading hordes, the law clearly gives him the right to do so.

    And I hope he does.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  4. #32084
    First Lieutenant Chaka-Z0's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2018
    Location
    P3X-888
    Posts
    769

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Their objection is simply because Trump is using it for an agenda they don't like.
    Fixed. You're such a tool Annoyed, ready to discard the core values and principles of your country for a MAGA.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

  5. #32085
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,340

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    Fixed. You're such a tool Annoyed, ready to discard the core values and principles of your country for a MAGA.
    Did you not understand that the emergency declaration is a perfectly lawful & legitimate tool, used multiple times by every president since its inception? The only difference is who is using it and for what purpose.

    I agree 100% with the purpose the law is being used for. That's the only difference. It's a good law, being used as intended, but some folks don't like the purpose.

    It's not the law, its the purpose it's being used for that generates the complaints.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  6. #32086
    Colonel
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Travelling the river Iss
    Posts
    7,100

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    First it's immigrants then what next. What other undesirables do you round up?

  7. #32087
    First Lieutenant Chaka-Z0's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2018
    Location
    P3X-888
    Posts
    769

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    It being exploited by previous Presidents is an invalid argument because Trump used that loophole for the sake of pursuing his own political agenda, not an actual country emergency. You said it before, it's been ongoing for decades so it's not an emergency however you try to spin it. Leave that to Trump and his BS to the media please, we're not that stupid and I sure hope you aren't.

    You would be tearing your shirt off if this was done by a different politician not embracing your MAGA, whereas we would still denounce it even if it favored our ''agenda''.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

  8. #32088
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,340

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    It being exploited by previous Presidents is an invalid argument because Trump used that loophole for the sake of pursuing his own political agenda, not an actual country emergency. You said it before, it's been ongoing for decades so it's not an emergency however you try to spin it. Leave that to Trump and his BS to the media please, we're not that stupid and I sure hope you aren't.

    You would be tearing your shirt off if this was done by a different politician not embracing your MAGA, whereas we would still denounce it even if it favored our ''agenda''.
    Flaw with your theory: I DO consider the invading hordes at the southern border to be an emergency.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  9. #32089

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Only because you are ill informed and refuse to consider any information that contradicts your paranoia
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  10. #32090
    First Lieutenant Chaka-Z0's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2018
    Location
    P3X-888
    Posts
    769

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Talking about flaws, here's one for you: Your personal intuition and bias is irrelevant, the only reason this crap went through is because of loopholes in the law. Proves how sh*tty the law system is again.

    I consider a shortage of bacon a national emergency, we should send the military police at Jel's to replenish our stores.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

  11. #32091
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,340

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    Talking about flaws, here's one for you: Your personal intuition and bias is irrelevant, the only reason this crap went through is because of loopholes in the law. Proves how sh*tty the law system is again.

    I consider a shortage of bacon a national emergency, we should send the military police at Jel's to replenish our stores.
    Nah, he's got that Lizard bacon. Who wants that?
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  12. #32092

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Ill fight you to the death before I give up my bacon
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  13. #32093
    Colonel
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Travelling the river Iss
    Posts
    7,100

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Really there's teaming hordes at the border. Really? Where are the pictures?

  14. #32094
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,062

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Nah, he's got that Lizard bacon. Who wants that?
    Attempted humour as deflection is not effective when you suck at it.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  15. #32095
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,062

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Did you not understand that the emergency declaration is a perfectly lawful & legitimate tool, used multiple times by every president since its inception? The only difference is who is using it and for what purpose.

    I agree 100% with the purpose the law is being used for. That's the only difference. It's a good law, being used as intended, but some folks don't like the purpose.

    It's not the law, its the purpose it's being used for that generates the complaints.
    Dude, you don't know what THE LAW IS, let alone how it should be applied. You're the "cheap seats" basking in the glory of ignorance.
    A doctor is asked to fix up a gun toting, obvious murderer, and you say "let them die"
    That's your morals.
    The doctor however has Ethics which should prevent that, everyone on their table is worth being saved.
    I don't want your "morals" to dictate that doctors ethics, and I sure as hell don't want them near government.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  16. #32096
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,340

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Pops View Post
    Really there's teaming hordes at the border. Really? Where are the pictures?
    Here's one.



    Source: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...igrants-945683

    What's that? Chopped Liver? This is just one of many caravans that have come up from Mexico's southern border.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  17. #32097
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,340

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    Dude, you don't know what THE LAW IS, let alone how it should be applied. You're the "cheap seats" basking in the glory of ignorance.
    A doctor is asked to fix up a gun toting, obvious murderer, and you say "let them die"
    That's your morals.
    The doctor however has Ethics which should prevent that, everyone on their table is worth being saved.
    I don't want your "morals" to dictate that doctors ethics, and I sure as hell don't want them near government.
    Fortunately, you don't get to decide how the law is applied. POTUS does. And as I've pointed out, every president since the law's inception has invoked it many times. It's only a problem when Trump uses it to resolve an issue.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  18. #32098
    Colonel
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Travelling the river Iss
    Posts
    7,100

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Here's one.

    https://static.politico.com/dims4/de...van-ap-773.jpg

    Source: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...igrants-945683

    What's that? Chopped Liver? This is just one of many caravans that have come up from Mexico's southern border.


    And what are the army gonna do?

  19. #32099
    First Lieutenant Chaka-Z0's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2018
    Location
    P3X-888
    Posts
    769

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Here's one.



    Source: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...igrants-945683

    What's that? Chopped Liver? This is just one of many caravans that have come up from Mexico's southern border.
    That's a picture from 2018/10/29 sir.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

  20. #32100
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,340

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    That's a picture from 2018/10/29 sir.
    There's an expiration date on it?
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Page 1605 of 1618 FirstFirst ... 605110515051555159516021603160416051606160716081615 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3363
    Last Post: March 5th, 2008, 10:02 AM
  2. Political Discussion: The proper place of the Law
    By uknesvuinng in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 28th, 2007, 11:37 AM
  3. The WW2 Discussion Thread
    By the_dark_light in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: July 20th, 2007, 12:12 AM
  4. X-Men III Discussion Thread
    By twiggy in forum Marvel Universe (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.)
    Replies: 138
    Last Post: October 6th, 2006, 10:12 PM
  5. Replies: 38
    Last Post: August 25th, 2004, 08:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •