Page 13 of 1633 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623631135131013 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 32647
  1. #241
    Lieutenant Colonel lordofseas's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near a wine bottle...
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickington View Post
    Onto the next topic, what do you think of the scandals surrounding Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi?
    Which one?
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.


    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

  2. #242
    Lieutenant Colonel Rickington's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    4,002

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofseas View Post
    Which one?
    The most recent scandal involving this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12232265

    If the charges are found to be true, then I believe that the Italian parliament should pass a motion of no confidence, essentially ending his term in office immediately. And after that, should be charged criminally as a civilian.

    Don't touch Lola

  3. #243
    Lieutenant Colonel lordofseas's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near a wine bottle...
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickington View Post
    The most recent scandal involving this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12232265

    If the charges are found to be true, then I believe that the Italian parliament should pass a motion of no confidence, essentially ending his term in office immediately. And after that, should be charged criminally as a civilian.
    I think that it will be hard to prove they had sex if they don't have any evidence, and both of them say that they didn't.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.


    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

  4. #244
    Colonel mad_gater's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    6,807

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    it looks like in a sense that he's trying to say that he's above the law....

    although it wouldn't surprise me these days if the magistrates were politically motivated and violated his privacy to gather the evidence

  5. #245
    Lieutenant Colonel Rickington's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    4,002

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    it looks like in a sense that he's trying to say that he's above the law....

    although it wouldn't surprise me these days if the magistrates were politically motivated and violated his privacy to gather the evidence
    We were talking about this today in my Modern Italy class. Needless to say, it was generally agreed upon that Berlusconi is a "naughty" PM

    Don't touch Lola

  6. #246
    Colonel mad_gater's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    6,807

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofseas View Post
    I think that it will be hard to prove they had sex if they don't have any evidence, and both of them say that they didn't.
    one would think though that a medical examination would be able to check and see if they've done it.....cuz unless I'm mistaken doesn't that kind of activity leave evidence?

  7. #247
    Lieutenant Colonel Rickington's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    4,002

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    one would think though that a medical examination would be able to check and see if they've done it.....cuz unless I'm mistaken doesn't that kind of activity leave evidence?
    Perhaps... but in the case of using condoms, there isn't very much evidence to go on.

    Don't touch Lola

  8. #248
    Lieutenant Colonel lordofseas's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near a wine bottle...
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    one would think though that a medical examination would be able to check and see if they've done it.....cuz unless I'm mistaken doesn't that kind of activity leave evidence?
    It depends on how they performed coitus.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.


    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

  9. #249
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Location
    King's Landing
    Posts
    4,563

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofseas View Post
    It depends on how they performed coitus.
    Oh god, thanks for that image.

    As for Berlusconi, I think it shows the differences in culture and political makeup between countries. In Britain we just sent a Member of Parliament to prison for embezzling £20,000. If we had someone like Berlusconi in charge there'd be an uprising. In Italy he's still popular with many because he's the only leader they've had who's actually managed to stay on top of their mess of a political system for more than 5 minutes.

  10. #250
    Lieutenant Colonel lordofseas's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near a wine bottle...
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
    Oh god, thanks for that image.

    As for Berlusconi, I think it shows the differences in culture and political makeup between countries. In Britain we just sent a Member of Parliament to prison for embezzling £20,000. If we had someone like Berlusconi in charge there'd be an uprising. In Italy he's still popular with many because he's the only leader they've had who's actually managed to stay on top of their mess of a political system for more than 5 minutes.
    You're most welcome.

    There's no doubt that Italy's political system is a mess. I daresay that it's been a mess since WWII. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends with a national referendum to overthrow the government, and recreate it. Looking at how the world's going, it'd fit in perfectly. :/
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.


    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

  11. #251
    Winger squirrely1's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Re-watching Farscape
    Posts
    5,077

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
    Oh god, thanks for that image.

    As for Berlusconi, I think it shows the differences in culture and political makeup between countries. In Britain we just sent a Member of Parliament to prison for embezzling £20,000. If we had someone like Berlusconi in charge there'd be an uprising. In Italy he's still popular with many because he's the only leader they've had who's actually managed to stay on top of their mess of a political system for more than 5 minutes.
    Looks like that isn't all he's been "on top of" there! *snort* I'm more upset at the way the criminal investigators handled interrogating the "dinner guests" I think that is horrible. About the evidence... Well the woman in question is now 18 so they were referring to sex they had had previous when she was 17....and yeah there would be no way to gather physical evidence of that now.... they would have to get a confession....and I guess with how they treated those girls that is what they were after
    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    This brings much pain but SQ is right

  12. #252
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Location
    King's Landing
    Posts
    4,563

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofseas View Post
    You're most welcome.

    There's no doubt that Italy's political system is a mess. I daresay that it's been a mess since WWII. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends with a national referendum to overthrow the government, and recreate it. Looking at how the world's going, it'd fit in perfectly. :/
    Well as I said Berlusconi still has plenty of support, despite being one of the most crooked and dodgiest politicians in the world, quite an achievement considering the completion. So bearing that in mind those fighting to get rid of him still have quite a task ahead of them.

  13. #253
    Colonel Spimman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Chasing 8 little feet
    Posts
    6,851

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    CHINA - the next world power
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

  14. #254
    Lieutenant Colonel Rickington's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    4,002

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Spimman View Post
    CHINA - the next world power
    Probably... China has the 4th/5th largest GDP growth rate amongst all nations.

    Don't touch Lola

  15. #255
    Captain Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Leeds,West Yorkshire, U.K
    Posts
    1,132

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    I saw that weird American advert where the Chinese are gloating in 2030 how America are idiots and China rules the world. I think some in the US are a little too paranoid about China.

  16. #256
    Harvey jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter
    Posts
    34,978

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickington View Post
    Probably... China has the 4th/5th largest GDP growth rate amongst all nations.
    Given the low quality of living among the average Chinese citizen I personally they can keep it up forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  17. #257
    Colonel Col.Foley's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Back from Sabbatical in Thedas
    Posts
    5,576

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Spimman View Post
    CHINA - the next world power
    China is the world power. There is no next about it. At the best we (the UNited States) are sharing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
    I saw that weird American advert where the Chinese are gloating in 2030 how America are idiots and China rules the world. I think some in the US are a little too paranoid about China.
    Gee I wonder why we should be paranoid about China?
    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Given the low quality of living among the average Chinese citizen I personally they can keep it up forever.
    Until they begin to make our mistakes and do the stuff to our economy that they are doing. Though that should not happen for a long time.

  18. #258
    Lieutenant Colonel jmoz's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Undefined
    Posts
    4,001

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Col.Foley View Post
    Spoiler:
    This provides me the perfect opprotunity to go back to a previous point:

    You are talking about headlines, which is meant to grab attention and to get you to read the story. The same thing as ina good book. For example you might get a headline that says 'Catholic priest says that Obama is eating babies and consorting the devil' And then you go to read the story and just come to find out that someone is jsut accusing Obama of these things, has those opinions, or was saying that to prove a metaphorical point about abortion. But yet if you just read the headlines, like you and S...dude...there....sorry me lazy...you can draw any number of conclusions about the content of the article, when the article could not have anything of that content. believe me I have been there.

    Repeat a lie often enough and then it will be accepted as truth.

    Though mind you there is not a very much repeating of that lie in any serious circles in our Government. Not anymore, they have already done their damage. They have just said it first and then all the 'liberal' and statist friends have gotten together and said 'hey did you know that Fox News is a propoganda arm of the Right Wing.' 'I know I know, that is so horrible man, the Right Wing is so evil and it is toatally a big bummer to be biased.' 'I know dude...hey I think I am going to go tell Jessica man.' 'good idea.'

    When the notion that Fox News is a Right Wing propoganda arm has no or microscopically thin bearing in fact. Its just gotten repeated over and over again within all their circles so suddenly walla the truth and the perception is there. When if anyone actually thought, and actually looked at the facts, and actually thought in individual and not collectovist terms then you can quite easily reach the conclusion that, there is no bearing in fact that Fox News is anything other then a News organization that does have diverse opinions on its shows.

    Which saying Fox News is a propaganda arm of the GOP is as ridiculous as saying that CNN or MSNBC is the propaganda arm of the Democrats.

    Oh and what do you know you agree with Glenn Beck.


    Interesting..very interesting.


    If you repeat a lie often enough it is going to be fact.

    Oh and Fox has an opinion too? Wow.
    lol, what? Where's that coming from? Fox is very pro right wing. Most of their news are influenced and followed by the conservative crowd. Are you actually trying to argue that fox news is an impartial news agency? But forget that. Would you say that fox news is very opinionated? Yes or no?

    Quote Originally Posted by Col.Foley View Post
    Exactly. But if you listen to certain people in our Government, and certain Governments around the world, Solar panels RIGHT NOW are perfect and viable and the best thing since sliced bread. And then they pour trillions and trillions of dollars into these projects and into this technology that just is not a viable alternative right now. Which just serves to turn people off to solar panels and several other alternatives because it looks as though, correctly, that the Government is trying to force us into something that is inefficient, a money pit, and not good. Which when they finally are and they finally are market viable the markets may say frak you because they do not feel like buying a product that was previously forced on them.

    The government is out to make people get solar energy, yeah right. Man why do you hate governments so much? Almost everything you post is making it out that the government is at fault somehow.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
    Well there is plenty of desert and Artic not being used that could used for solar panels. There is lots of sea as well for wind, wave tidel power. They may be ineffient but they produce 0% waste so lets not rule them out compleatly.
    The Arctic would be inefficient place for placing solar panels because the angle of solar radiation is not suitable for effective conversion into useful energy. Plus the maintenance of the thermal subsystems would diminish energy accumulation. Nothing ever has 0% waste, there's always waste products.

  19. #259
    Colonel Col.Foley's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Back from Sabbatical in Thedas
    Posts
    5,576

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    lol, what? Where's that coming from? Fox is very pro right wing. Most of their news are influenced and followed by the conservative crowd. Are you actually trying to argue that fox news is an impartial news agency? But forget that. Would you say that fox news is very opinionated? Yes or no?




    The government is out to make people get solar energy, yeah right. Man why do you hate governments so much? Almost everything you post is making it out that the government is at fault somehow.



    The Arctic would be inefficient place for placing solar panels because the angle of solar radiation is not suitable for effective conversion into useful energy. Plus the maintenance of the thermal subsystems would diminish energy accumulation. Nothing ever has 0% waste, there's always waste products.
    Well...it all depends on how you define Right Wing. If you define Right Wing by whatever the Republican Party is (because the Republican Party is the 'Right Wing') Then no. Fox News is only partially pro 'Right Wing' and many times they have been highly critical of the 'Right Wing'. If you define the 'Right Wing' as pro human liberty, pro freedom, less Government control, more individualism and more responsibilty as the more to the right you slide the more Libertarian you get then Fox News is probably the most pro right wing organization out there.

    This is playing the game of course that Fox News, an organization, a corporation, is actually sentient and can do anything. Fox News is not a person and it cannot do anything, the people on Fox News can. And the people on Fox News are very opinionated. Pro Obama, anti Obama, liberal, Conservative, Libertarian, Progressive, seccessionist, anarchist, communist, socialist, Democrat, Republican. All of these people get to voice their opinions and their view points on the news of the day on Fox News, and on the shows on Fox News. And they are usually treated fairly and with respect by the hosts when they come on no matter their political ideology.

    And I would argue that Fox News is impartial in the sense that...again..Fox news can't do anything by itself. And I would also argue that they are impartial because they truly do show opinions all over the map. Maybe they can do it more and show more diverse opinions and I think they should but they do show a diversity of opinions. But they are not impartial in the sense that they are very opinionated all over the map.

    Yes they are. And I do not hate anything least of all is the Government. And usually they are at fault somehow, especially in the cases that I have documented and debated.

  20. #260
    Lieutenant Colonel jmoz's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Undefined
    Posts
    4,001

    Default Re: The Political Discussion Thread

    They're not all over the map, their conservative opinions far outweigh liberal opinions which are usually just shown as means of counterexamples (to poke holes at with conservative views and show conservative superiority).

Page 13 of 1633 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623631135131013 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3363
    Last Post: March 5th, 2008, 10:02 AM
  2. Political Discussion: The proper place of the Law
    By uknesvuinng in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 28th, 2007, 11:37 AM
  3. The WW2 Discussion Thread
    By the_dark_light in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: July 20th, 2007, 12:12 AM
  4. X-Men III Discussion Thread
    By twiggy in forum Marvel Universe (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.)
    Replies: 138
    Last Post: October 6th, 2006, 10:12 PM
  5. Replies: 38
    Last Post: August 25th, 2004, 08:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •