Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will admit that at first I did think "oh god, political correctness is at it again" but then a second later, common sense kicked in and I saw it as a good thing. It makes sense, because I had friends who were raised by a single parent, then finally their Aunt/Uncle who became their legal guardians when that parent died.

Father/Mother, Parent A/Parent B, Guardian A/B, or a combination of them is a good thing in a time of same sex, adoptive, single parent or parents who import kids from abroad but I don't think it really helps people see it like this when they add "but Gay groups applaud the decision and Christian groups are crying about it".

I travelled abroad when I was a kid, and I am from a single parent home (dad left when I was 7, 8) so I would not have objected to having my mums or an aunt/grandparents details included rather than my fathers.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
      I will admit that at first I did think "oh god, political correctness is at it again" but then a second later, common sense kicked in and I saw it as a good thing. It makes sense, because I had friends who were raised by a single parent, then finally their Aunt/Uncle who became their legal guardians when that parent died.

Father/Mother, Parent A/Parent B, Guardian A/B, or a combination of them is a good thing in a time of same sex, adoptive, single parent or parents who import kids from abroad but I don't think it really helps people see it like this when they add "but Gay groups applaud the decision and Christian groups are crying about it".

I travelled abroad when I was a kid, and I am from a single parent home (dad left when I was 7, 8) so I would not have objected to having my mums or an aunt/grandparents details included rather than my fathers.
      And Faux News never advocates for the Christian Right.
      If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
      Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
      If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
      Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        *SNIP*
        if they want to compromise have it

mother, father OR parent/guardian 1, parent/guardian 2

four boxes, two of which must be filled out.
        *SNIP*
        This seems like a reasonable choice. You don't have the Christians complaining, nor do you have the same-sex couple complaining. I really don't see a need to make it "Parent 1" and "Parent 2" parents aren't creatures that come in a box with The Cat in the Hat.
        "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
        - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

cell phones now come with 'ice contact'...ICE = In Case of Emergency

under hte theory that if you're in a wreck, the medical personnel can go thorugh your phone and find the ICE and call them
          I actually had a task for work in mid-November that was related to the ICE feature on a phone, although it was for a lost and found scenario. The owner of the phone—an apparently very expensive Nokia phone—was extremely grateful that people took the time to follow procedure and locate them. I got in contact with the owner by contacting the sister first, as the sister was the ICE contact.

A lost phone and purse is a pretty big deal to someone and the ICE contact made the whole thing very smooth. The woman got her phone, purse, and all of its contents back intact just 2 days later.
          sigpic

Comment

actually if this is meant for types of families where the child is being raised by someone who's not even the parent then the more appropriate terms should be "guardian 1" and "guardian 2"...not "parent 1" and "parent 2"

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
              actually if this is meant for types of families where the child is being raised by someone who's not even the parent then the more appropriate terms should be "guardian 1" and "guardian 2"...not "parent 1" and "parent 2"
              then why not

caretaker 1 caretaker 2
              ?
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

well caretaker would be kinda redundant......"guardian" as a term implies "caretaker"....i.e., taking care of their charge is a duty of the guardian....not that many guardians do that but it's there regardless

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                  Sound great to me. Besides gay rights, it fits better for adoptive parents, people raised by extended family, etc etc. Great choice.
                  yes, this exactly, with so many different sorts of families, it gets at covering everyone.

cell phones now come with 'ice contact'...ICE = In Case of Emergency

under hte theory that if you're in a wreck, the medical personnel can go thorugh your phone and find the ICE and call them
                  I'd recommend that for everyone to do. I have a sticker on the back of my medical card that has all my ICE information on it - next of kin, doc's name, medical allergies. It's come in handy once already
                  sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

i agree

Parent/Guardian 1, Parent/Guardian 2
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Guardian is also a legal term while I don't think caretaker is.

a document like a passport should stick to legal terms

sigpic

Comment

i think you should be able to choose what name goes their like mother, father, uncle, auntie, step etc because parent 1 and parent 2 doesnt tell you the gender for example if both your parents are called sam~unisex name~how are people supposed to know ? not saying its bad, just a suggestion
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Yamiinsane, Thanks!
                        'It's Nuttier than Squirrel poo' - Amanda Tapping
                        : Thats it! Sphere, planet, label, name! : Following, still, you, not!
                        I'm not crazy...I just have another consciousness in my brain! So he just looks crazy then?
                        Indeed

Comment

Discrimination!!! Where are the options for clones and test-tube babies?
                          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                            Discrimination!!! Where are the options for clones and test-tube babies?
                            That would probably be taken care of with using the next most viable legal term past "parent" or "legal guardian" which would be "next of kin."
                            sigpic

Comment

yeah but 'next of kin' and parent/guardian are two different things.

next of kin can be a spouse or even a child

the goal of the 'mother/father' was a secondary form of identification and way to tell two people with the same name apart.

John smith, child of Mary and Ken, as opposed to John Smith, child of Susan and David

next of kin is not an appropriate term in the context of replacing mother/father.

sigpic

Comment

yeah but 'next of kin' and parent/guardian are two different things.

next of kin can be a spouse or even a child

the goal of the 'mother/father' was a secondary form of identification and way to tell two people with the same name apart.

John smith, child of Mary and Ken, as opposed to John Smith, child of Susan and David

next of kin is not an appropriate term in the context of replacing mother/father.
                                Oh definitely true but it was the only thing I could think of for, as the previous post said, clones and test-tube babies.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X