Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Mother" and "Father" to be replaced on U.S. Passports

Article courtesy of Fox News

The words “mother” and “father” will be removed from U.S. passport applications and replaced with gender neutral terminology, the State Department says. “The words in the old form were ‘mother’ and ‘father,’” said Brenda Sprague, deputy assistant Secretary of State for Passport Services. "They are now ‘parent one’ and ‘parent two.’"

A statement on the State Department website noted: “These improvements are being made to provide a gender neutral description of a child’s parents and in recognition of different types of families.” The statement didn't note if it was for child applications only. The State Department said the new passport applications, not yet available to the public, will be available online soon.

Sprague said the decision to remove the traditional parenting names was not an act of political correctness. “We find that with changes in medical science and reproductive technology that we are confronting situations now that we would not have anticipated 10 or 15 years ago,” she said.

Gay rights groups are applauding the decision. “Changing the term mother and father to the more global term of parent allows many different types of families to be able to go and apply for a passport for their child without feeling like the government doesn’t recognize their family,” said Jennifer Chrisler, executive director of Family Equality Council. Her organization lobbied the government for several years to remove the words from passport applications. “Our government needs to recognize that the family structure is changing,” Chrisler said. “The best thing that we can do is support people who are raising kids in loving, stable families.”

But some conservative Christians are outraged over the decision. “Only in the topsy-turvy world of left-wing political correctness could it be considered an ‘improvement’ for a birth-related document to provide less information about the circumstances of that birth,” Family Research Council president Tony Perkins wrote in a statement to Fox News Radio. “This is clearly designed to advance the causes of same-sex ‘marriage’ and homosexual parenting without statutory authority, and violates the spirit if not the letter of the Defense of Marriage Act.”
    Thoughts? I for one love this idea, since oftentimes "Mother" and "Father" aren't appropriate names anyway. And not just for gay couples; I have a mother and step-father who sign most things, and it's just not accurate to call him my father when he's not. And some people live with their grandparents, also not their "mother and father," and there are myriad other circumstances under which parents are not necessarily one or both of those.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Default Re: "Mother" and "Father" to be replaced on U.S. Passports

Sound great to me. Besides gay rights, it fits better for adoptive parents, people raised by extended family, etc etc. Great choice.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Why can't we just add those terms...or just remove them period and not replace them?

Quote Originally Posted by Col.Foley View Post
    Why can't we just add those terms...or just remove them period and not replace them?
    Because we still need to know who your primary caretakers are. That was why "mother" and "father" were on there in the first place.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Quote Originally Posted by s09119 View Post
    Because we still need to know who your primary caretakers are. That was why "mother" and "father" were on there in the first place.
    why?

why?
    Because a U.S. Passport is used as both emergency contact information should something to happen you outside of the country and as a primary mode of identification for purposes such as job hiring. It needs to have up-to-date information on the basic facts about who you are, and that includes who acts as your primary guardian, or if you're over 18, who is legally your closest family.

Quote Originally Posted by s09119 View Post
    Because a U.S. Passport is used as both emergency contact information should something to happen you outside of the country and as a primary mode of identification for purposes such as job hiring. It needs to have up-to-date information on the basic facts about who you are, and that includes who acts as your primary guardian, or if you're over 18, who is legally your closest family.
    You can get that with a name. And a number, or an e-mail address. You do not need who they are to you.

You can get that with a name. And a number, or an e-mail address. You do not need who they are to you.
    Actually, Foley, you do sometimes.

For example, let's say you were in a severe car accident, and you needed emergency surgery, but it was a risky procedure that could potentially not pan out, the hospital would need to be able to contact your parents/legal guardians to get authorization for the procedure, as I believe someone who is not related to you cannot authorize it.

Don't touch Lola

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

Having your parents name is also another way to tell John Smith 187 from John Smith 188.

because while two people may have the same name, the odds of them having the same parents names is pretty dang slim

And I know of a lot of cases where grandma and grandpa are the guardians of and raising hte grandkids, so mother and father would be wrong.

if they want to compromise have it

mother, father OR parent/guardian 1, parent/guardian 2

four boxes, two of which must be filled out.

It is getting quite common for parental figures to not always be birth parents

(Moderator)

Quote Originally Posted by Rickington View Post

For example, let's say you were in a severe car accident, and you needed emergency surgery, but it was a risky procedure that could potentially not pan out, the hospital would need to be able to contact your parents/legal guardians to get authorization for the procedure, as I believe someone who is not related to you cannot authorize it.
    umm, there are loopholes.
    if you are unconscious, your consent is assumed. Medical personnel are allowed to make the presumption that you'd want to be saved and not wait for permission. Usually, i think, where consent is not assumed is organ retrieval. And, i think, if it's a child then hospitals have social workers that can take on the role as advocate for the child and make decisions until a guardian is located.

Then have them list who are compatiable donors with you and who is capable of giving you that emergency surgery. Again you do not need a parent or someone's status to you.

Yepper. That's precisely why in various insurance forms and even certain job applications have an "In case of emergency notify" line along with another line asking for the relationship of said person to you. Now as Skydiver said there are loopholes but specifying a person's relationship is standard procedure for ease of locating them in an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
    Yepper. That's precisely why in various insurance forms and even job applications they have an "In case of emergency notify" line along with another line asking for the relationship of said person to you.
    Fine but you do not need to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    Having your parents name is also another way to tell John Smith 187 from John Smith 188.

because while two people may have the same name, the odds of them having the same parents names is pretty dang slim

And I know of a lot of cases where grandma and grandpa are the guardians of and raising hte grandkids, so mother and father would be wrong.

It is getting quite common for parental figures to not always be birth parents
    More very valid and very common sense reasons why a person's relationship to you is needed to be listed on such forms. For the military, knowing who the next of kin is (edit: and where they are) is pretty important in the case of a KIA scenario.

(Moderator)

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
    Yepper. That's precisely why in various insurance forms and even certain job applications have an "In case of emergency notify" line along with another line asking for the relationship of said person to you. Now as Skydiver said there are loopholes but specifying a person's relationship is standard procedure for ease of locating them in an emergency.
    cell phones now come with 'ice contact'...ICE = In Case of Emergency

under hte theory that if you're in a wreck, the medical personnel can go thorugh your phone and find the ICE and call them

I will admit that at first I did think "oh god, political correctness is at it again" but then a second later, common sense kicked in and I saw it as a good thing. It makes sense, because I had friends who were raised by a single parent, then finally their Aunt/Uncle who became their legal guardians when that parent died.

Father/Mother, Parent A/Parent B, Guardian A/B, or a combination of them is a good thing in a time of same sex, adoptive, single parent or parents who import kids from abroad but I don't think it really helps people see it like this when they add "but Gay groups applaud the decision and Christian groups are crying about it".

I travelled abroad when I was a kid, and I am from a single parent home (dad left when I was 7, 8) so I would not have objected to having my mums or an aunt/grandparents details included rather than my fathers.

Quote Originally Posted by SaberBlade View Post
    I will admit that at first I did think "oh god, political correctness is at it again" but then a second later, common sense kicked in and I saw it as a good thing. It makes sense, because I had friends who were raised by a single parent, then finally their Aunt/Uncle who became their legal guardians when that parent died.

Father/Mother, Parent A/Parent B, Guardian A/B, or a combination of them is a good thing in a time of same sex, adoptive, single parent or parents who import kids from abroad but I don't think it really helps people see it like this when they add "but Gay groups applaud the decision and Christian groups are crying about it".

I travelled abroad when I was a kid, and I am from a single parent home (dad left when I was 7, 8) so I would not have objected to having my mums or an aunt/grandparents details included rather than my fathers.
    And Faux News never advocates for the Christian Right.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

First Lieutenant J-Whitt Remastered's Avatar

*SNIP*

*SNIP*
    This seems like a reasonable choice. You don't have the Christians complaining, nor do you have the same-sex couple complaining. I really don't see a need to make it "Parent 1" and "Parent 2" parents aren't creatures that come in a box with The Cat in the Hat.
    "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
    - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

cell phones now come with 'ice contact'...ICE = In Case of Emergency

under hte theory that if you're in a wreck, the medical personnel can go thorugh your phone and find the ICE and call them
    I actually had a task for work in mid-November that was related to the ICE feature on a phone, although it was for a lost and found scenario. The owner of the phone—an apparently very expensive Nokia phone—was extremely grateful that people took the time to follow procedure and locate them. I got in contact with the owner by contacting the sister first, as the sister was the ICE contact.

A lost phone and purse is a pretty big deal to someone and the ICE contact made the whole thing very smooth. The woman got her phone, purse, and all of its contents back intact just 2 days later.

actually if this is meant for types of families where the child is being raised by someone who's not even the parent then the more appropriate terms should be "guardian 1" and "guardian 2"...not "parent 1" and "parent 2"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast