Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion of Answers from "Ask Joe Mallozzi" - Spoilers/Speculation for SG-1 and SGA

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discussion of Answers from "Ask Joe Mallozzi" - Spoilers/Speculation for SG-1 and SGA

All of Joe's answers from the 'Ask Joe' thread have been copied into this thread so we can discuss stuff without cluttering Joe's own thread.
    Last edited by Madeleine; 20 January 2005, 05:33 PM.

Madeleine

Hmmm. I could've sworn I'd answered all of the questions. Sorry. This year was such a whirlwind of work that I don't even remember. If you have questions, ask away and I'll answer now that I have some free time.

Oh, and to correct a gross misconception - I'm not a margarita man. I'm more of a daquiri guy.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
      Also how much influence does your wife hold over you and how can we tell her what we want (JK) Have we told her how great she looks in your DVD commentaries
      Hey, Figured you have to work every angle!! LOL

Ok seriously, With the announcement of a Season 9 - how many changes did you have to make to the ending of SG1 What about SG Atlantis? or were you expecting SG Atlantis to be renewed and filmed accordingly?
      We planned the Atlantis finale (The Siege I and II) as a season finale rather than a series finale because we're generally positive people. As for the SG-1 finale - to be honest, Reckoning I and II, Threads, and Moebius I and II would make excellent series finales. At the time the scripts were being written (and, later, the episdoes produced), we had no idea whether SG-1 would be back or not, but we were satisfied with what would be a terrific series ender. The last half of SG-1 season 8 offer some huge surprises, adventure, and great character development. Fans of the show are in for a treat.

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
        Joe, I noticed that you and Paul were credited as Executive Producers at the end of 'Gemini'. Are you officially show-runners now?
        No. Rob and Brad remain showrunners of both SG-1 and Atlantis respectively. As Exec Producers, however, Paul and I do run almost half the SG-1 episodes and get to cut in line when catering serves dessert.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarym1
          Hey Joe. Thanks for all your hard work. Would love to see you at Concept in Montreal?
          Any chance we will find out what really happened to Steven Raynor. It doesn't have to be a whole ep (even tho I would LOVE THAT), it could just be a line or two. It would be great to see Sarah, Daniel and Steven in another ep together!!!!!!!!!!!
          How was Concept? Unfortunately, the timing is bad for me - even though I'm from Montreal and visit the city three times a year. We're still finishing up work on the show in November.

As for Steven and Sarah - I'd love to follow up on both their characters. I've had a Steven story kicking around for a while and, maybe, will get around to fleshing it out. Sarah is also a great character I would love to explore further - but, again, it depends on finding the right story for her.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by SueS
            Hello Joe,

Thanks for answering our questions. I have 4 questions/comments.

1. Several people have mentioned that Ben Browder and Michael Shanks look alike. I wonder if that will play a factor in the show. (Some people have been speculating that maybe Ben's character might be related to Daniel.)

2. I was reading on an Australian site that they've decided to show Prometheus Unbound before Gemini because, according to the site, "Gemini has a tie in with Atlantis" I'm not sure of their reasoning for this because I thought Prometheus Unbound had a stronger tie-in to Atlantis than Gemini. Also, they will be showing Moebius Part 1 on Jan 6 (as their 13th episode). I was under the impression that starting with Reckoning, all the episodes were kind of related. I.e. they had to play in sequence in order to make any sense.

Just looking for your opinion on stations that air episodes out of sequence.

3. Are Reckoning, Threads, Citizen Joe, and Moebius related, or can they all be considered stand-alone episodes?

4. Finally, any word yet on whether or not Threads will air as a ninety minute episode? If that doesn't happen, will the ninety minute version be available on the DVD?
            1. Nope. No relation.

2. We don't have any control over when the broadcasters choose to broadcast the episodes. But, for what its worth, I think it would be unwise for anyone to watch Moebius before watching the rest of the episodes leading up to it.

3. There are threads that run through Reckoning, Threads, and Moebius. They are stand-alones, but they figure into the overall arc of season 8. In other words, you're better of watching these episodes in sequence.

4. I'm not sure what was decided with regard to Threads - but the 90 minute version should find its way to DVD.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Dana_Jeanne
              Do you know who/what Ben Browder will play on the show? Will he be in all 20 episodes? Is he going to be a major character and part of SG-1? Are we going to have any stories with mythology and exploration in them? Any chance of Daniel being less of a gun-toting military guy and more of the brilliant liguist/archaeologist he used to be? How about those Furlings? Nick? Aris Boch?

Do I want to know everything about S9? Yes

Will you be at any of the US Creation Cons in 2005?
              Hey DJ,

As you've probably already heard - Ben will play a military type, Lieutenant Colonel, who will be leading SG-1 during Carter's absence. Yup, a major character, and he'll be appearing in all 20 episodes. We're working on a variety of stories at the moment, some to do with exploration and some to do with the show's mythology as well. You'll get to see "the many facets" of Daniel Jackson in season 9 (and check out the second half of season 8 as well). Furlings? Nick? Aris Boch? Maybe, maybe, maybe. As for Creation Cons - I don't think so. The writers don't get invited. But maybe if JAffa #2 from episode 37 backs out...

JM

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                I was being sarcastic, Darren. It was the second silliest idea I could come up with, the first involving Poochinski being transformed into a human. Although I guess I'd better not give Joe ideas about THAT either.

It's hard to think up questions Joe might actually be able to answer.

Any chance of McKay meeting up with Carter again? Rodney can do better than Sam, but whatever. They've both changed a lot. Might be interesting to see.
                Carter and McKay will be meeting up again (although "again" isn't really the right word) in the season 8 finale: Moebius.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                  Hey JM! Sorry if this has been asked before, but how much interaction have the two casts had together, so far? I know that SGA thinks that SG1 is really friendly, and all that, but has there been a lot of interaction between the two? I'd imagine it'd be pretty difficult for the two casts NOT to interact, right?
                  We kicked off last season with a big SG-1/Atlantis dinner - and the cast members from both shows do interact and get along. No knife fights so far.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by aeromathlete
                    Thanks for coming out and answering the fans' questions! Okay here's my little query:

Do you have any scientific advisers or actual scientists working for you guys who provide input on the technical ideas presented on the show? Several sci-fi based shows and movies have academic-type advisers, and even the creator of Futurama (though that show can't really be compared to SG-1 very well. ) has a Ph.D. in math or applied math or something along those lines.

I'm just asking because I'm interested in how you come up with your ideas and general technobabble (whether it be plausible or jibberish).
                    Its up to the writers to research the science/technicial aspects of the script. Then, the script is passed up to our "scientific adviser" Brad Wright, who will either scoff at, laugh, correct (usually, all three) or okay the science.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by roswellgray
                      Hullo,

*PUH*-Lease say that in either SG-1 or Atlantis we'll learn the function of the ninth chevron. Some of us are very curious what it could be.

thanks
                      Its...possible.

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                        Another question: MGM shareholders voted today to sell MGM to Sony. Do you know what, if any effect this will have on the stargate franchise?

Thank you in advance Mr. Mallozzi.

Rocket4477
                        Fans needn't worry. The sale will have no effect on the Stargate franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaBlu
                          Will we ever, ever see Jonas again, even if it's just to kill him so people like me will stop asking about him?

BYE
                          At present, there are no plans for a Jonas story. But, rest assured - Jonas is alive and well, dealin with the day to day problems on his homeworld.

Comment

Originally posted by Hathor999
                            A question for Joe Mallozzi: Can you tell us please what´s happend to the plans for a direct-to-DVD-movie set into season 2? So much I understand was it filmed directly after season 8. Will this movie ever released or have the cast changes killed all plans for this? I would love it to have a new season 2 episode (with the original cast!).
                            The possibility was discussed but, as with the planned Stargate feature, both are victims of the franchise's success. Once SG-1 eventually ends in the not too distant (but not too near) future, we'll finally have the time to work on these special projects. And we'll aim to include cast members, past and present.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                              Joe - I read AT will be out for the first 5 eps - is this confirmed? (obviously things could change after the baby is born but as it stands now is it set at 5 and have things been finalized with AT?) Will Carter still be leader of SG1 and will that aspect of her character have any substantive development in S9? Thanks for your time on the forum.
                              We're going to do our best to include Carter in as many episodes as possible -but that will, of course, depend on her availability. SG-1 will be getting a new team leader at the beginning of season 9. And when Carter returns...well, I suspect they'll be able to work something out.

Comment

Working...
                              X