Like A Virgin (612)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like A Virgin (612)

DEATH RETURNS FOR A MEETING WITH DEAN — Dean (Jensen Ackles) and Bobby (Jim Beaver) anxiously wait for Sam (Jared Padalecki) to wake up to see if Death (guest star Julian Richings) was able to restore his soul without causing Sam to lose his mind. Meanwhile, Dean and Bobby investigate a disappearance of virgins and discover dragons are behind the kidnappings. Bobby sends Dean to a doctor who owns the only weapon in the world that can slay a dragon, but Dean must prove himself worthy enough to take it. Phil Sgriccia directed the episode written by Adam Glass
    Please use the report feature to request the thread to be opened

Sam wakes up just like that, not one memory of the past 18 months. Dragons???!!! it almost seems as if they'd run out of ideas for big bads. I felt like I'd seen this before...hmmmm oh yes.....Stargate SG-1, a dragon and treasure. When Dean was pulling at the sword I just saw Mitchell!

Now we've got a new 'big bad' that reminds me of Adria mixed with the weird Goddess from Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

I hope things get better, this would have to be the most disappointing episode of SPN I've ever seen. All the characters seemed to be misfiring in this episode, Dean was the only character holding it together. It felt to me that the series was looking for a new direction after the change from the 'soulless' Sam storyline and found it had nowhere to go.

Comment

I've only just finished watching this ep and I'll be doing my review later but just had to say I loved this ep. so much. So we get our Sammy back. Yay!
      And the real hug! double yay!

We were well rewarded after the looong wait. It was so well done.
      The thing I really appreciate though is the subtlety of it all...considering we're talking dragons here! And then we get the sword in the stone myth and Dean's hilarious attempts to get at it.

Loved Cas and the awkward non-hug. Aw. And Cas being persuaded, without him realising, to give up information.

Dean's smile as he watched Sam, like a proud father, persuading the girl witness to let them in and give them some more info.

It was good to be reminded of how Sam should be against how he has been in the first half of the season. It just shows what a great job Jared does with both.

I wasn't sure at all how Bobby was going to be after everything he'd been put through but it felt real to me. A nice balanced reaction.

And now the threads of the story are gradually coming together.

I have to disagree with accusations of it's all been done before. Well yeah...everything's been done before, especially in the Fantasy and Sci-fi genre. There's only a limited amount of myth and legends stories in existence but it's how it's done that matters, and how the characters act and play out the story line.

For me the show's finding new and interesting ways to tell the old stories -with wonderful actors.

So it's a win-win.
      sigpic

Comment

Okay, I am torn. I am happy to have the old Sam back and all interaction between him, Dean, Cas and Bobby were extremely well done. On the downside, the episode was a bit too silly sometimes and I don't think dragons fit well into Supernatural.

I still hate the whole Purgatory storyline and I feel it is getting more ridiculous by the second. The mother of all monsters? Seriously? That does not make any sense and seems completely random. And why should monsters be in Purgatory in the first place? As far as I know, Purgatory is for people who are not sinful enough for hell but not virtous enough for heaven either. How do monsters fit into this? If anywhere, they should be in Hell.

If that is the new great Big Bad / new storyline they promised, they can keep it. I would rather see Monster of the Week episodes for the rest of the show instead of enduring such a ridiculous, sloppy main story.
        In the darkness of night we hear the whispers of the void

Comment

Well monsters have to come from somewhere so it makes sense that their creator or "mother" in their terms is really powerful. It was better than the religion stories, they are actually getting to the origin of all the monsters they fight.
          sigpic

Comment

I enjoyed the ep. Not a favorite by any stretch, but it was a good ep to move the story along.

When it mentioned dragons in the description, I was kinda worried about how SPN would handle them. I think they did a good job. It wasn't cheesy. There's lore about dragons, so why not bring them into the mix for an ep. Finding a sword was a little too easy, but that was played for laughs anyway.

My only problem was with the characters. Dean should have just come clean with Sam from the start. We know where lying to each other gets them. I know he's trying to protect Sam, but there was no way Sam wasn't ever going to catch on to the weird vibe. Be straight up with him, and hopefully he'd be less likely to wonder what really went on, since apparently that has been "walled" up as well. At least the writers decided not to drag that out over eps and went on and had Sam find out the truth.

Interesting that they decided to block every thing Sam remembered from the point he fell into the Cage. I wouldn't have guessed that that was going to be a side effect, but I suspect they did it that way in order to spin some further story from, which is what next week's episode looks like it springs from.

Originally posted by Jaemal View Post
            I still hate the whole Purgatory storyline and I feel it is getting more ridiculous by the second. The mother of all monsters? Seriously? That does not make any sense and seems completely random. And why should monsters be in Purgatory in the first place? As far as I know, Purgatory is for people who are not sinful enough for hell but not virtous enough for heaven either. How do monsters fit into this? If anywhere, they should be in Hell.
            But who says it has to be that way. I don't believe in Purgatory, nor Heaven or Hell for that matter, but just because in RL that's the general definition of Purgatory doesn't mean that SPN has to write it that way. SPN established that monsters have souls, yet they don't go to Hell when killed. So they have to go somewhere. Why not incorporate Purgatory into the mythology? Maybe in SPN's world there is no purgatory for human souls...you either go upstairs or downstairs...none of that limbo mess.

We know that demons spawned from Lucifer and Hell. SPN is now taking on the story of where monsters spawned from. I'll wait and see where the story goes with this "mother" that I'm assuming is going to be the monster equivalent of Lucifer. I'm not exactly jumping for joy that she's been introduced, but I'll be in wait and see mode.
            IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
              We know that demons spawned from Lucifer and Hell. SPN is now taking on the story of where monsters spawned from. I'll wait and see where the story goes with this "mother" that I'm assuming is going to be the monster equivalent of Lucifer. I'm not exactly jumping for joy that she's been introduced, but I'll be in wait and see mode.
              This is what I was thinking. We've spent a lot of time in the last couple seasons with demons. We know how they originally came to be, and how individual demons come to be. It only makes sense that at some point they would have to explore some kind of origin for the monsters they originally set out to hunt.

I'm literally in the middle of a rewatch right now, but thought I'd throw this out there now.

I can't say I'm overly happy with the dragon storyline, but I think Sam's soul was the bigger part of this ep anyway. They can't really cram too much into a single ep, so if they need to focus more on the characters, they may as well take a sillier story than really mess up something that could have been great. But I did love all the character stuff from this episode. To me, we haven't really had Sammy since somewhere in the middle of S3, and this felt much more like him before all the demon blood/psychic powers/etc.

And as for Dean not wanting to tell Sam anything, Dean remembers his time in Hell, and he knows Sam's time was much worse. As an older sibling, I can understand what he did. I'd rather have my little brother mad at me for not telling him anything than to take the chance of telling him something that might bring the wall crashing down just to spare his feelings.

And now that I think about it, we're getting a little more of each character back. Beyond Sam getting his soul back, Dean is starting to feel comfortable in the life again. He's got Bobby, his car, and now his brother by his side. And with each little blip of Cas (definitely need more of him soon), he seems to be working his way back toward the humanized version of old.

Ok, I blabbed a little more than originally planned So back to dragons, virgins, and soul-full Sam I go...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by warrior_chic View Post
                I can't say I'm overly happy with the dragon storyline, but I think Sam's soul was the bigger part of this ep anyway. They can't really cram too much into a single ep, so if they need to focus more on the characters, they may as well take a sillier story than really mess up something that could have been great. But I did love all the character stuff from this episode. To me, we haven't really had Sammy since somewhere in the middle of S3, and this felt much more like him before all the demon blood/psychic powers/etc.
                I think the dragon bit was just to move the story along by having them be the ones to resurrect this "mother" from Purgatory. The writers got to play with a new monster-of-the week for an episode rather than bring in one we already know.

And as for Dean not wanting to tell Sam anything, Dean remembers his time in Hell, and he knows Sam's time was much worse. As an older sibling, I can understand what he did. I'd rather have my little brother mad at me for not telling him anything than to take the chance of telling him something that might bring the wall crashing down just to spare his feelings.
                True about that, but I'm talking about telling him that his body didn't spend all that time down in the Cage. That he was up here hunting monsters without a soul. If that info is pinned up behind this "wall" as well, then Sam's probably gonna wonder more about that than he is about what went on in the cage (as I'm sure he'd happily not know about). He starts chipping away trying to remember that, then it all crashes down which is why I think they should have been upfront with him. But I'm guessing that's where they are headed with the story anyway. This is SPN after all. I'm thinking that's why they had Sam remember nothing from his time as T-1000 Sam. It'll eat away at him and that's when this thing with walling in the tortured soul will go south.
                IMO always implied.

Comment

man it's been a long wait..
                  I'm really going to miss soulless Sam
                  the sword thing was funny as hell
                  the mother virgin was really creepy cool

Comment

We know hell isn't just one wide open room, there seems to be seperate parts in hell where you go depending on your sin. For example, Lucifer (and now Michael aswell as Adam) occupy there own little piece of hell seperate from the rest. It's possible Purgatory is the same way, where human's who didn't make the grade for either heaven or hell end up.

On the subject of Purgatory, i wonder if Demon's who have been killed on earth end up there. Could be a great way to bring back Crowley, which i think was a mistake to kill off so early, or possibly yellow eye's.

Comment

Yet another excellent episode of SPN. Its nice to have the old Sam back, but I'm sortta torn. The soul-less Sam was interesting.

Dragons...interesting twist. I'm glad they assume a human form. It was unexpected by I did like when Dean calls Bobby and asks him to make a few calls. Bobby asks, "To who? Hogwarts?" Being a Potter fan I laughed at this.

Another good line was when the dragon dude asked Dean where he got the sword and Dean says, "Comin-con." I love it!
                      sigpic

Comment

It was so great to finally have this great show back. This was a very good episode, and a lot actually went on. As usual, it had a great blend of action and comedy. And that ending, Wow! I guess we know where the rest of this season is going now.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                          It was so great to finally have this great show back. This was a very good episode, and a lot actually went on. As usual, it had a great blend of action and comedy. And that ending, Wow! I guess we know where the rest of this season is going now.
                          Straight to purgatory!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                            Straight to purgatory!
                            Either that, or it is coming to us.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                              Either that, or it is coming to us.
                              This is true.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X